The Grand Cafe

Think we’d all want them to be home and safe however it’s probably not the case.

3 Likes

Very nice spot Mike …

1 Like

That’s what I was wanting to hear Pete. I’d like to get one once we move house in a few years, amongst other things like new speaker cables. I guess you’re using the NDX2 Dac, I’ll be using the NDS Dac so should be very similar. Excellent.

2 Likes

I let you know what it’s like in a week or 2 as I’m slowly digging my CDs out of storage box by box.

The one I can confirm it won’t be going back.

1 Like

I’m curious Pete

You have an excellent streamer in the NDX2 (so I’m told :grinning::+1:)

You have ripped all your CD’s into your Core

What’s the rationale re purchase of CD transport ?

Bit of fun?

Happy Saturday morning

1 Like

Guess it’s the same as you playing vinyl, it’s the physical thing, touching and getting up to play something. I was originally drawn to streaming my own rips for exactly the opposite reason, when I paint I’m not getting it on everything.

Also there’s always that thing about what’s best, think these new CD players/transport can extract a lot more information and sound so much better than a 20 year old player- it’s chalk and cheese. I’ve mentioned it a few times it’s a bit disappointing that Naim took so long to get into CDs, hooked us all in and then deserted us.

On a completely different note, it’s 18c here already and we’re expecting it to reach 22c. Our old neighbours from Batuea Bay are calling in for lunch today.

2 Likes

Got it Pete

Yes the physical aspect of playing music, it’s one of the main reasons I haven’t yet moved to streaming ( apart from ripping CD’s into Core for southern highlands location )

It was really warm here yesterday 23 degrees in Balmain and around 20 today. Not st all bad for last month of winter

Enjoy lunch

2 Likes

@Pete_the_painter mentioned that Naim dropped the ball on CDP support, and I guess they really did on many of their units, but Linn’s CDP exit was even worse. I would never buy another Linn product for any reason, (and damn-it, they make some very good kit).
They just, bang, stopped all CDP support and their units were suddenly basically worth!ess overnight.
I had a Linn Unidisk 1.1 with dynamik upgraded PS, and it sounded magnificent. In Canada, it cost about $15k new with taxes, however I paid less for pre-owned. But within a week they were selling for maybe $2k if you were quick or lucky.
The lasers were infamous for dying, so I was just waiting for it to become a doorstop or an anchor. I don’t have a boat, so most likely a doorstop.
I waited a few years because it sounded so good and eventually got $1500 for it. Sigh …

That’s the main reason I want an Audiolab CDT. I’m hoping for something similar by using the NDS Dac with it. Even if the Linn had a Coax in, so I could use a transport with the Dac section, I would have kept it … but it didn’t. That was also kind of remiss of them.
Oh well, some people have real problems …

1 Like

Yes a great pity David now that both Naim and Linn have given up in the cdp arena

Even mores the pity when one sees what artists receive for streaming their songs, an absolute pittance

I read, don’t know if factual or not, an artist has to have 300 “hits” on one of their tunes on the streaming sites to receive $1 - yes that’s what this article says $1

Disgraceful

3 Likes

I can tell you one thing the Audiolab is a keeper, can’t say at this stage if it’s actually better than streaming my local rips but it’s certainly not worse (I’m thinking its better but yet to confirm).

I’ll do some more intense listening later this week, I’d definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a CD transport.

3 Likes

Yes, there’s the fair trade side of it as well Bevo. And at least Naim try to do everything they can to support their products. Naim seems to be more genuine in their interactions with customers.

2 Likes

Very happy to hear.
Cheers.

1 Like

I’m with you on that one David - top marks to Naim on that side of things

1 Like

It’s one of the big reasons I have stayed with CD.

1 Like

When I recently upgraded my amp and streamer it was to my surprise that I hadn’t carried out an A/B comparison or even listened to before purchase. So I was wondering if you had done any comparisons with other cd transports or players such as Naims own cheap as chips cd5si.
I suspect a lot of the community like myself are carrying out upgrades based on experience from others.

Evening/morning @igahman no I hadn’t done any comparison with another CD player/transport. I did do a lot of reading and research before deciding on the Audiolab. Thought the Naim CD player was quite expensive ( it’s not cheap as chips here) lacked a few features I wanted mainly a digital out and was getting on a bit.

As you’ve probably noticed by other posts I’m extremely happy with my choice so far.

1 Like

Good evening Pete. Yes things have certainly changed.
Once upon a time purchases would only be made after rigorous comparisons.
Glad you’re happy with your purchase.
PS Cheap as chips was a joke because we have some members who would not insult their ears with anything that cost under £5k :joy:

1 Like

I might get sent to the naughty corner for only spending $1,000. Good thing those guys don’t spend a lot of time in the cafe. :grin:

2 Likes

Still you could upgrade it with a Naim Powerline which costs more than the player itself😆

5 Likes

Shush @Gazza Mrs Pete is sitting beside me.

However I will upgrade the power cable but not the Powerline. :grin:

1 Like