The heating issue on Naim Unit Atom

I have found that the enclosure will keep heat after turn off until Atom (standby mode), my USB key is keep insert to the back side. The firmware have been updated.

So, I don’t know why have this issue.

If you have a USB plugged in then the Atom doesn’t go into full standby but remains in network sleep. So there is nothing wrong with your Atom. It is working as intended.
Best

David

1 Like

Hi David,
Thanks for your reply.

If I need always USB plugged into Atom and would like to cold down after Turn OFF.

Do you have any suggestions ?

No you have to choose which you want.
Best

David

1 Like

It will sound better played from warm than cold. I keep my Nova warm (always on, screen set to go off).

1 Like

Hi Mike,

You have also USB plugged into Atom ?

No, I use a Uniti Core through a local wired network and stream from Tidal as well.

1 Like

Do you feel the sound is better when Turn OFF the screen ?

I haven’t really noticed, it’s a new feature.

1 Like

Certainly not.

Why would you want ‘to cold down’? I personally do full standby every night, but that’s because my wife can’t sleep if the network light at the rear keeps glowing (Atom’s in the bedroom)! Do you have a different reason? If not, I’d leave it, which is what I would prefer to do for the sake of SQ.

1 Like

I used to do this, but every key i tried remained VERY HOT, are you using the thumb type (i did) they are the worst, same if you used then via a PC or laptop.

I tried a separate SSD, it was better no heating issues, but i cannot be bothered ripped CDs or storing downloads (unless something i really like), so just rely on Qobuz, Tidal and Spotify.

1 Like

I am concern the life time issue if Atom is long time under operating temperature even turn off.

If you have a USB drive and have server mode enabled the main transformer will remain powered up. If you turn off server mode, you will probably be able to hear that the transformer stops humming and the Atom may then run cooler.
The case of the Atom works as a heat sink, so if it feels warm, it is working normally, although it will use a little more power on standby.

1 Like

You can send the Atom to “deep sleep” - press the power button 3 seconds, and then it will “shut down”. (And cool down.)

If you wake it up again, you a) need to press the power button again (app control and remote won’t work), and it will take time to “start” (similar to “cold start”, when you removed power connection), which takes longer than just to “wake up”.

(Same situation here with Atom an external SSD. Seems the “low power transformer” for “standby” is not powerful enough to power the external USB device powered (only to keep NW interface up, so that the device would react on app/remote control). So they keep the “main transformer” active as long as USB is connected. When you hear a significant “clack”, then the power source is being switched - happens during deep-sleep on/off or normal sleep, when no USB is connected.)

PS: I also prefer to “cool down”, when not using it for longer periods. Just a matter of “energy waste”.

1 Like

As long as I can remember there has been a debate over shutting down vs always on in terms of how it affects the life of audio components. I think most people say leaving on is easier on the components. Any thoughts on that?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.