The Listening Room Reality

That I have never said Peter. All I am saying is from a construction and dimensions point of view it is much better than our squarish room in Germany, as well as a more pleasant place to be. It is still a very lively room and I’m sure the room can benefit from some treatments like any other as you suggest

3 Likes

To save the need to hold your hands cupped over your ears I have invented these. Slip them on, job done, and no annoying questions about why you have your hands cupped over your ears.

Now available at all good hifi stores, and don’t bother trying to launch a cheap alternative, my patent is watertight.

14 Likes

Do they come with a carbon band and silver ear fasteners - if so I’m in!

2 Likes

Bespoke orders are available but at extra cost of course.

1 Like

Talking of Victoria hall, I took the family to see Billy Cobham there a few mths back. The show was great but the acoustics were a disaster…

Well I’m back home from Eindhoven and a quiet evening home alone in front of my system.
I took from my selection of discs and listened to the pieces I heard at the concert with Andràs Schiff. Must say that I am very happy with what I have and how it performs.

I saw a piano recital at Victoria Hall and enjoyed it very much. We had good seats in the Parkett front area so perfect to connect with the performance.

1 Like

Getting this back on topic… treating my room has been a long term project. Research and treat then live with it and learn , then repeat process. Started back in 2016 and installed my final panels last week , which were an extra 4 bass traps on the ceiling.

So all finished and no further treatment needed or required.

Rather than do a few pics i have done a video , only done on cheap camera and im no expert so do allow for the low quality !

Music by Laoise Kelly , Irish Harp.

Treatment as listed below…

Purpose built dedicated music room fully treated with 40 absorption and diffusion GIK panels.
Ceiling = 8 x GIK 242 and 4 x GIK 244.
Front corners = 4 x GIK TriTraps.
Rear corners = 4 X GIK TriTraps with Alpha diffusion front plates.
Side walls = 8 x GIK Monster bass traps range limited.
Front wall = 6 x GIK Monster bass traps range limited.
Rear wall = 6 x GIK Monster bass traps range limited with Alpha diffusion front plates.

7 Likes

Great effort Folkman and must be rewarding finishing the journey :+1:t3: Enjoy Peter
PS, Do love those MB2SEs :yum:

1 Like

Very impressive, bet it sounds pretty incredible. What are the room dimensions out of interest?

1 Like

Size is 21ft x 15ft x 9ft. Dont sound too bad !!

Im sure PeterR could squeez some MB2se in :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Folkman,
Sadly I think they are too much of a squeeze in my width restricted room, which is only 12 feet wide. Our length is the same and as you know I’m playing the ‘long way’ like you and retaining my view out to the garden.
Courtesy of Tom Barron ( PMCs now retired rep./ lovely guy, and I’m sure you’ve had the pleasure of meeting him ) I was given the opportunity to borrow a pair of IB2ses for a fortnight whilst my Facts went back to HQ for a replacement of the 50mm mid-domes under warranty. They have a 10 inch piston bass driver, and even turned out to be too much for the room to cope with. Admittedly this was before my Podiums were introduced, but hey still….
I have a bad mode in the bottom of the male vocal band at 80-90 Hz, which is very easy to get its ugly face to rear again. Here say has it that the Fact 12se isn’t miles away from my Gen 1 ( now with the SEs mid drivers), so it looks as if I really am on my end game speaker.
Life is full of compromises even when it comes to Hifi, I suppose the word should be unsurprisingly. We have maybe finally learned to respect the room’s limitations the hard way, but thankfully in the process learned a lot and gained experience, and in that respect it’s all good :+1:t3: Enjoy your MB2 replay :relaxed: Best Peter

11 Likes

Hilarious :joy: Best Peter

1 Like

Scary thing is I probably would!!!

2 Likes

I suspect it may sound a bit tinny

3 Likes

I think these might infringe my patent.

7 Likes

An interesting video here touching also on 2 different sets of speakers and their measured interaction with a given room. ATB Peter

5 Likes

Hi PeterR,
I hope you don’t mind asking but I recall that you had Naim SL2 some time ago.
A difficult question here but were thèse part of your listening room reality frustrations? Or did you go along the room treatment road while you still had them before finally ending up with your current speakers?

Couldn’t help myself….:partying_face: Enjoy Peter

PS. (Afterthought) interesting to see how high the telly is up on the wall, I suspect allowing for the diffraction effect from the tweeters to loose itself up towards the ceiling instead of directly towards the listening position.

5 Likes

I thought I’d put this post no. 2000 up on this thread to celebrate what Thomas started, and which to a very few of us turned out to be exactly the game changer Darko touches upon in his video.
It has been a bit of a journey in so many ways with the room treatment, but there always was a liberating brotherhood feeling throughout, where some of us were learning as we were going along and even managed to get our rooms completed in the end. There were also a quite a few contributors, who clearly thought the whole idea was a bit loopy if not laughable, but as always Thomas managed to elegantly and patiently fend them off.
I shall finish off my contribution to this thread by: “….It’s been emotional” :wink: and if he has a little lurky look, I shall for sure be forever grateful for what he started and raise my glass to 2000 posts and what a feat!:wine_glass:
I admittedly feel sad that you decided to leave, but hey Thomas I wish you all the very best and enjoy your music on your wonderful new gear.
Your finishing off a long post with the words: “ Ignorance is bliss” was a very humorous truth, which always made me giggle :+1:t3: Best Peter

13 Likes