The Listening Room Reality

Yes this game takes a lot of experimentation for sure and a terrier like attitude to get it right for our individual liking. ATB Peter

I have a bit of diy room conditioning going on, but the biggest room improvement that I am currently saving for, believe it or not, is a new refrigerator…the quietest one I can find.

1 Like

Interesting article on R4 Today just now about the acoustic of the restored Notre-Dame cathedral. Apparently one of the major impacts was cleaning it! Removing dust increases high frequency reverberation. Keep your HiFi racks dusty out there people! (And maybe think yourself lucky you aren’t in charge of maintaining the acoustic of something as grand as the Cathédral Notre-Dame :wink: )

2 Likes

@JTheKop @Richard.Dane
Was hoping to be able to email you directly regarding your Wilson speakers and Naim electronics.

Wilson works wonderful with Naim.

I am happy to talk via email but not sure how it works. Richard would you be able to help us connecting via email ?

Thanks

I have recently been looking at my room acoustics and trying to figure out what improvement or changes I can make. I have some GIK bass traps and a few DIY 100mm thick panels made from rockwool. I have realised that moving panels changes the sound sometimes for the better and sometimes not (or at least makes little or no change)
I decided to carry out some larger scale testing yesterday and added a couple of packs of rockwool bats to the room in various positions.
Firstly I moved the tri traps from the front to rear corners and stacked rockwool bats into the front corners to fashion two soffit traps. I then increased the panels on the side walls for first and second reflection points.
My conclusion was that adding more corner traps definitely improved the bass response. I think I may have overdone the side reflection points as the sound lost a little bit of life, but this was easily compensated buly turning up the volume. I think some absorption with diffusion would help with this.
It was an interesting experiment and worth trying if anyone is considering room treatment (before departing with your cash).
The not insignificant task of convincing my better half now ensues. If I get the ok I will make some soffit traps but the side walls will have to consist of GIK art panels I think.
It may take a little while to see it through so you may have to be patient.

2 Likes

Need to alert Richard @Richard.Dane
He knows our email addresses

1 Like

My experience was treating the front reflection point with diffusion had the biggest single improvement in my room alongside getting the tv between the speakers out the way (now flat with wall and treated).

1 Like

Good points.

Creating more space between the speakers definitely helped
me in my relatively small dedicated room 14ft x 12ft x9ft. Also for those who have to sit with backs close to rear walls these Vicoustic panels worked a treat in my room.

4 Likes

I tried three FRAIM tiers instead of two but filling the space between the speakers creating more pressure. Blown bass below 50htz. Placing my S1 sideways and even opening up the two FRAIM stacks mitigated that room issue very well.

13 Likes

At first reflection points, like a lot of folks with real world restrictive listening rooms, I had to compromise. But having watched several you tube videos made by Acoustic Fields I tried both absorption and diffusion. The latter worked best in my room so I made a couple of these based on the quadratic calculation for the chambers.

These had an even better effect than the Vicoustic panels behind my sitting position. Hopefully someone can gain benefit from my experience👍

7 Likes

Great effort Rob :+1:t3::beers: Best Peter

Thank you Peter :+1:

I almost had a where’s Waldo moment there :rofl:

This is what came out of a measurement with a starter shot. I also bought a mini DSP microphone so I can start measuring myself. The orange line is the measurement from my room.

Some advice that I got:

• Create a wall sized aluminium acoustic frame behind the TV and cover this whole area with 12cm thick 40kg/m3 polywool with a 8cm air gap. The alu frame will be covered with fabric printed in the same color as the wall which is easily changeable.
  • Wall left of speaker: Hang an acoustic painting 200x150 on this wall with 4cm filled with polywool 40kg/m3
  • In the windows I can place some polywool panels at times of serious listening
  • 120 x 240 x 4cm Ceiling panel with 4cm air gap

I would love to hear some opinions on this! Nothing is ordered yet so I’m still flexible right now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would probably sound good but look bad. to me hifi is a compromise and while I don‘t want to sit secluded in a dedicated listening room I won‘t make too many aesthetic compromises in my living room. And my family won‘t neither.

1 Like

Personally, I wouldn’t be building false walls and/or playing with ceiling structures, as I think you may be addressing the bass problem (?) the wrong way. Reasons:

1- You have an unbalanced room, with a very close side-wall. This could be causing all manner of issues, especially with a speaker parked in a corner, the other not very different.
2- you are way too far back in the listening position to my eyes (from a wider context) and while it’s often easy to think the speakers may need bass reinforcement from placing next to the back wall, this can be highly problematic.
– I had a room a lot smaller and it took some time to realise what an unbalanced space can create – especially with bass.

Immediate thoughts:

a- I’d try and move the speakers forward (out of corners) and move the listening position forwards – the one thing I’ve found over time is that it’s better to move forwards than retreating, as the latter increases adverse reflections.
b- I’d get a panel to negate the first reflection from the LHS wall (as already suggested) and some corner treatments.

With moving the furniture around and trying to find a focal point you may negate the need for ceiling treatment.

2 Likes