The Listening Room Reality

Very nice wooden diffusers, indeed! I was close to buy a similar product, but didn’t because of the frequency range it targets (start diffusing at around 750Hz)

I ended up with Vicoustic MultiFuser Wood 64 for the front wall. These a very expensive but rather nice (glossy white piano finish). They start diffusing at around 250Hz.

For the left first reflexion point I went for the Vicoustic DC2, which starts being effective at around 160Hz which darn good!

When placing the GIK’s Monster Bass Traps on both sides of the front wall diffusers, the diffusing effect was greatly improved. I shouldn’t say “improved”… Absorbing the low end, allows the diffusing field to be more noticeable (leading to much better stereo image).

I’ll should get the glossy frame and the new Monsters in a couple of weeks

Hi Thomas.
I know you like your contemporary interior as uncluttered as possible, but isn’t it somehow possible for you to accommodate 2 Fraim stacks right up against your front skyline wall? It literally is anybody’s guess, how your black box interaction is with your glass rack. Being as closed as it is, it could even act as a ‘boom box’. At your black box level, I can’t help thinking it simply is a MUST with Fraim.
When my children were little back in the Stone Age, I simply taught them not to touch my tall 6 tier Fraim stacks ( was active back then)…or else :bomb:
I am aware, that you don’t want to hear this, and maybe even before you fit your monsters, it could prove an opportune moment to get new racks moved over to the side, instead of being between the speakers. Running for cover… :flushed: ATB Peter

2 Likes

Diffusing the low end!

Really!?! :thinking:

Diffusion is a well thought solution to some acoustic problems.

It has many advantages.

One of them is keeping the RT (reverberation time) at a reasonable level by diffusing mids and highs, and thus providing slack for damping the low end as much as possible.

But, we always end up with compromises, or choices. Better, and balanced, room frequency response, but a rather small RT. Or little more distortion but a correct RT.

Choices…

A solution could be diffusion, low end diffusion.

But… achieving low end diffusion requires deep diffusion wells : 10 meters or more! Even at 80Hz the diffuser’s depth would be around 1,2 meters with QRD diffusers

Well, not so sure anymore…

MetaSurface based diffusion is an amazing and promising solution! :partying_face:

The future of acoustic diffusion :

medium

Hi @PeterR

The Naim Fraim :wink:

Not my cup of tea. But I suppose it does its job fairly well.

I’m aware my rack is far from being as effective as a Fraim stack. But it satisfies my needs.

It is a rack from Schroers & Schroers, a Berliner designer.
We like the minimalistic design.

I had to modify it to accommodate a complete Naim 500 series system.

• changed the side panels

• added 2 shelves

• added a glass door

• added high load Ball Transfer Units which allows me to move the ultra-heavy rack and somewhat isolate it from floor’s vibrations.

The whole thing is made of steel, MDF and glass and weighs ~160Kg (empty).

The 2 cm thick glass shelves rest on Sorbothane dots.

As for moving the rack, I suppose I could place it on the back left, replacing the yellow (mustard) chair. But that would mean changing speaker cables, moving the dedicated mains outlet and adding a RJ45 outlet.

I can’t imagine the price of 9-10 meters of Super Lumina speaker cables…

The glass door isn’t needed anymore. My little girl know she isn’t allowed to touch dad’s toys. She even doesn’t touch the acoustic curtains/veils (which are horrendously expensive).

Of course I could remove that glass door now…

For the moment, I guess I’ll only try to move the rack closer to the front wall so that the speakers would be 25 cm in front of the rack (the actual distance is 10-15 cm)

Psychoacoustics

Another interesting reading.
I’ll give it a read this evening.

Chapter 3 is about psychoacoustics.

The complete chapter 3 in PDF:

–> https://sonification.de/handbook/download/TheSonificationHandbook-chapter3.pdf

1 Like

Interesting case of using too much room treatment.
" This guy had gone to some considerable cost to get the hifi at a very high level. Amps, speakers and stuff to create the music and voice. Why take that away. Once it’s gone it’s gone. "

1 Like

Interesting video!
This is more like wrong/incorrect treatment rather then too much.
I’d say this is to much wrong treatment.
I watched that first episode a few days ago.
There will be second video showing the “corrections to room correction”

4 Likes

No idea if it is too much - but one look at the photo suggested to me it is too much diffusion, and no visible absorption - in other words it appears to be just the wrong thing, not designed to get the room sounding right. Viewing it and the commentator says much the same.

As said a few posts ago, you either need to know your stuff, or engage someone who does - ensuring that they understand what you are using the room for and what is your desired outcome.

4 Likes

Will have a read of this thanks.

I’m in the process of making 6 x bass traps as per jesco. I’ve put the bare insulation behind the speakers and am sure there’s a tad more bass definition as if it’s a tiny bit clearer and more precise frequency.

Very aware it could be placebo or expectation bias though

1 Like

I just tried out some bass traps to control excessive bass in my room. But the Mrs has sent me packing with them as she cant stand the sight of them. These were the least ugly of anything I could find to. Its a shame as it also helped smooth out 70hz and up, which made a very nice difference to the overall sound. But it still had issues with my modes at 35Hz. So its a return back to DSP and likely hunt for new speakers that don’t aggravate my room nodes so much. Shame the latest firmware to the Atom has made the bass more boomy to.

Hi @mickdale ,

I haven’t had the time to read it yet, but I printed it out. I like paper…

As for your bass traps, I don’t think you’re experiencing any kind of bias or placebo effect.

Placing ~6 inch thick fiberglass panels (like Owens Corning 703) behind your speakers will make a noticeable and appreciable difference.

Careful with the placement…

It’ll tame the low end resulting in cleaner bass and therefore more perceptible mids and highs.

If I may, the change would be even more obvious if treating the backwall simultaneously.

The back wall is really key!

Depending on your room size, you can place there as much basstrap as you can afford. If you make them yourself it won’t cost too much.

Make them thick enough (6 inch) and leave 1 inch space air between the wall and the panel.

Let us know the result (take some pics).

Good luck with your treatment.
You won’t regret it, trust me :wink:

Got 3 at the back but might put another 3 there.
Need to get my act together and source the panel frames

1 Like

A complete case study.

A detailed example of the amazing results “simple” room treatment can achieve.

It’s a pretty long video, but it has it all.

Usually, you have to pay for that kind of information!

The guy not only provides the details of how to do things, he also gives the sequence, and the mistakes not to make.

0 - Measurement
1 - Listening position
2 - Speakers position (or desk)
3 - Measurement
4 - Treatment
5 - Listening position fine tuning
6 - EQ

Worth the 28 minutes.

This thread gives me the desire to test Bluetone bass traps, as a member above cited them. They are not expensive.
I will try in a few days and report.

This type of absorber are OK in the mid bass, but have relatively little absorption in the lower bass (below 100Hz).

1 Like

And for this particular product no absorption testing is provided.

Not sure that the important 80-150 Hz range is correctly absorbed (not enough absorbing material, 30 cm diameter…).

I haven’t read much of this thread, but did watch that video when it came out.

My room is 22 x 11 feet, playing across. It’s damped by a large velvet sofa that is the listening chair.

Also the ceiling has crinkled surface that must scatter the reflections from there.

The side walls are glass windows/doors that are both covered by heavy floor to ceiling curtains.

The concrete floor has 11mm underlay and a quite thick carpet.

There are also other chairs and tables to the sides that scatter sound waves.

It seems acoustically very good to me.

The manufacturer claims “Absorption range: 50Hz – 2500Hz”, but publishes no absorption plot, and I agree that from the description re fibreglass, against dimensions and no tuned membrane, it may technically absorb down to 50Hz the amount of absorption but so little compared to a couple of octaves higher that it likely will be negligible. Without either test data or a money back promise if not satisfied I would pass over them.

@Frenchrooster, have you got yourself a measuring mic and REW to see what is happening in your room, yet, to know what frequencies you might want to absorb?

1 Like

If it sounds right to you, and you’re enjoying the music your system reproduces, then go no further. Just make sure you have a comfortable chair :smiley:

1 Like

I will try and return if not satisfied. Will share.