The Listening Room Reality

You could wear a mister blobby outfit😉

3 Likes

Indeed Gazza, every little helps. Even having Mrs NigelB in the room would help :+1:t3::joy: ATB Peter

2 Likes

I think a massive bunny outfit would be more appropriate as, a) it is very fluffy and absorbent, and b) I am just entering a giant rabbit hole so I will fit right in!

@PeterR, do you have a spare I could borrow?

3 Likes

Now we’re talking :grinning:

2 Likes

Here in the States we call that a Wyph Bird, a species known for flyingin ever decreasing concentric circles until the end.

Wow that is a big unit.–that is almost another small room? I am probably not understnding. Can you give an example of such a unit’s dimensions, for a medium room, say 4m x 6m 2.5m high?

That’s a nice app. I just didn’t realize it would ‘play’ the room modes as well. When I hovered over the modes bar, I accidentally hit a frequency that I associated with my laptop CPU ventilator going into overdrive. LOL. Almost ordered a new laptop.

1 Like

( 6 × 4 × 2 ) + ( 6 × 2.5 × 2 ) + ( 4 × 2.5 × 2 ) = 98 m2

meaning you need a minimum of 9,8 m2 covered.

I covered a lot more surface.

1 Like

I think in my case the 49Hz is the low ceiling height at 2.3m, have you managed to bring your peak down successfully?

Yes, with Roon’s built in Eq

Great, I have not heard of many using that facility on roon.

My understanding is that with EQ, you are effectively cutting energy at specific frequencies buy filtering out data, rather than absorbing (and/or diffusing) the peaks via room treatment.

I really don’t like the idea of cutting out data from the music file, even if it is done very selectively.

Happy to be told I have got this wrong.

And you do well!

Applying EQ seams pretty straightforward; we target the offending frequency with a few clicks and there you are, EQ applayed.

Unfortunately, it isn’t that simple. Correcting a problem can create another.

Applying EQ correctly requires several measurements and some experience (I have none, btw).

I believe you’re doing things in the correct order :ok_hand: :

1. listening position

2. speakers placement

3. room treatment

4. If problems remain, and you don’t want, or can’t, apply more treatment, then EQ could be applied in last resort.

4 Likes

Try getting some internal speaker damping type material (acoustilux) and rolling it up and stuffing the port. The port can still breath but is restricted. It is called aperiodic tuning. Some manufacturers have labelled it as stealth reflex port (sonus Fabre I think). I have used this to good effect in the past. The tighter you roll it the more restricted.

2 Likes

That sounds like a great thing to try, thanks. Partial port blocking seems to work best in the new room.

2 Likes

I’m afraid Mrs B doesn’t share my love of music, so I am pretty sure she wont be donning a Mrs Blobby outfit!

I don’t think it’s filtering out data, but just to make certain offending frequencies less loud. Happy to be corrected.

Nigel, were we talking Tool-music on The Tube recently? :thinking: ATB Peter

Wot - even when you’ve got your bunny outfit on?!

1 Like

Yeah, she’s no fun.