The Listening Room Reality

Well thanks to Peter for pointing out the second reflection point I have now identified this position. With first and second points covered on the right hand wall this has been a revelation!!
All excessive brightness has gone, detail and imaging has improved beyond my expectations!!
All this from a couple of small DIY panels that can be stored out of site when not in use to maintain domestic harmony. Simples!

4 Likes

I’m chuffed it worked for you Stu. You do not realise how much image-shift is taking place ruining soundstage and imaging within, until you take those 1st sidewall reflections away. Good on you :+1:t3: Peter

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up :+1:

@Xanthe That remark may well have been the best tip so far for me on this already great forum and thread. I googled around and came across this link:

the advertised Audiotool app is probably my best investment of the last year. I followed the instructions (based on trying to get a flat frequency response) with the new placement of my sub and (shockingly) found out that:

• The subwoofer volume needed to be toned down to 50% (from 75%)
  • The phase setting went up from 0 degrees to 80.
  • I needed to pull out the foam plugs from my Dyns
    Basically the crossover point was the only right setting I did on ‘just listening’.
    Two main obeservations after the listening session: Much more separation and tighter bass. But also more audible: James Blake’s ‘Limit to Your Love’ has two distinct bass notes and I could hear the second deeper one (somewhere in the 40 Hz region) now almost as well as the first (at 80 hz). Before the calibration the second note was just ‘hinted’ but barely audible, despite the sub’s volume being at 75%. I’m guessing it’s the phase correction effect that corrected that…

DIY traps vs the main brands.

Is there any difference? Anyone have any good links to sites showing what’s best to use?

To make it short : none.

You can buy the very same materials, or better, and achieve the same results, or better.

If you have the skills and tools, I would recommend to make them yourself.
It’s A LOT cheaper, and you can make them the size you wish.

GIK makes them to the dimensions and thickness of your choosing. But it has a cost.

EDIT : I assume we’re talking about velocity traps (porous material) like the ones GIK sells

1 Like

@Thomas in your pics I notice that you don’t have an even distance between the side wall to the left speaker and the right. What tricks have you done for this scenario as I have the same configuration I think.

:+1:t2:

1 Like

Popeye, you’ll be going: LALALA…:rofl::joy: Best Peter
( …and there goes the mirror, and here comes the frying pan :face_with_head_bandage:)

1 Like

Well spoted!

A large part of my room treatment is dedicated to it.

My system is positioned asymmetrically in the room.

Untreated, this asymmetry causes a blurry and less detailed stereo image.

I use 20 to 28 cm thick panels and some diffusion on the left side, and some other tricks.

My room is 38 m2, so I don’t have a lot of bass problems.

All my treatment has one goal: minimise room interactions.

When I sold my 252, the guy who bought it was… well, he didn’t say much :wink:

At the listening position, the room measures well and sounds rather good! :sunglasses:

I had further plans in terms of treatment, but as I’m planning to move, and build a dedicated room, I won’t spend more cash on this particular room.

1 Like

Asymmetry causes two problems :

• reflection time differences
  • you get “more energy” from one side

Absorption helps, but you don’t want to only absorb the upper mids and highs.
You need something thick.

On the other side you also need absorption.

I absorb both sides.

Post some pictures, if can.

And also, we’re coming up on Easter now …

Has anyone used wine corks for DIY room treatments? It seems like the material would be good for such but I’m not sure. I have quite a few wine corks I could put to use for such a project. I have a fireplace in my listening room and it doesn’t get much use. I wonder if making a panel to cover it might be worth a try.

I found a site where this was getting discussed and someone rendered a possible set up.

Surely drinking that much wine whilst listening sorts out teh romm resonanacies?

.sjb

7 Likes

Hic!

1 Like

I don’t think any of these corks are old enough to be from such behavior. These corks are from more moderate years. :smiley:

An intersecting alternative to corks : plants! :herb: :palm_tree: :shamrock:

https://youtu.be/OyobCL8JMKg

2 Likes

If you want to sort out resonances the same way as with wine, I would recommend a certain type of plant readily available in a number of places in my hometown. :smoking:

But as for the cork question, I guess it absorbs a little better than wood, so worth a try for sure. Although you cannot influence the cylinder width - so diffraction would be a bit less compared to slimmer wooden sticks?

1 Like

I’m not into that kind of plants
I’m climber, I need my heart/lungs :sweat_smile:

As for the plants as acoustic treatment I’m in favour of thicker leaves :joy:

1 Like

Great call Thomas, this Bad Boy grown in minutes simply creates heavenly front wall diffusion and is always a breath of fresh air in the room ( think I might have one for symmetry the other side). :thinking::partying_face: Best Peter

![

2 Likes