The Listening Room Reality

Ah yes I see what you mean … the cabinet is 80x45 and 57 high so not that big (and due for replacement). The only other furniture of that sort of size is a shallow unit in the front left corner that’s 1.2m and 75 high, sounds like it could be that … the majority of it is jam packed with books.

Cheers,
Mark

It is a dilemma anyone with some acoustics knowledge faces.

Getting clean and sharp low-end in a “normal” room (20m2 to 40m2 with a ceiling at 2,5 meters) is challenging to achieve.

One has three options :

• Living with the problem and getting used to distorted bass
  • Treating the room and minimizing room interactions.
  • Using speakers that have limited bass extend.

Wilson Audio produces interesting small speakers with a 65 Hz - 23 kHz frequency response, the TuneTot.

Choices…

I chose to treat my room.

ADDITAMENTUM :

Many instruments have a frequency range going below 65 Hz (Piano, Double Bass, etc.)

Many music genres benefit from an extended low end (full-range speakers): symphonic music, rock bands, electronic music, etc.

So, choosing speakers with a rolled off low end is something delicate.

Hello Thomas, yes it’s a tricky choice, my room is 6.5 x 3.4 x 2.3 which is a decent size for a living room (in the UK) but could do with being wider and higher for acoustics.

I’ve been curious about smaller stand mount speakers for a while, but I also have the AV side to add to the mix :roll_eyes:

Bass traps behind the sofa would be an easier option to try first though, even though they wouldn’t solve the 45 hz peak/resonance.

Cheers,
Mark

You could tame your 45 Hz problem a bit, but not with a porous material based traps.

A couple of AVAA20 could do the job, or some tuned membrane traps. Check Artnovion Acoustics products.

@Mark63

Absorber calculator for DIY projects :

Acoustics

Thanks Thomas, those are very interesting, both the electronic and diaphragm versions, clever stuff, a sub in reverse! Unfortunately they’re a bit out of my budget :slightly_smiling_face:

The GIK T50s that @PeterR suggested could go behind the sofa, do you think a row of four of them would make an appreciable improvement?

Here’s a crazy idea I just had … I’m sitting on a void of about 2m x 1m x 30cm height, and there are two more of similar sizes in the room … seems like another opportunity for “Stealth” room treatment? :grinning:

Cheers,
Mark

That’s a really useful link, thanks Thomas.

I thought someone on here did exactly that and restuffed their sofa. Was it @PeterR?

Found it

Indeed Matthew, it was me of course :crazy_face: and in all fairness heckers it didn’t really!
What did however work was getting rid of the bombastic leather sofa and place 2x GIK monster bass traps on the now exposed free wall to allow for the nasty air waves to go through (hence the name velocity absorbers).
Incidentally as you tagged me to your post and being a bit of a numpty, how do you do that please? :+1:t3:
ATB Peter

Just put @ immediately in front of the forum name of the person you want to alert. For me to alert you I would enter @PeterR in my post.

Now as I have been so helpful how about loaning me your S1 for Christmas hols? :wink:

2 Likes

Dear Nigel, thank you so much for your help and beyond that it’s a :wave:t3: from me. :wink::laughing: Have a lovely Christmas and you enjoy your latest additions. All the best Peter

1 Like

You have a great Christmas too, Peter.

1 Like

Thanks Matthew, so I’m not alone :crazy_face:

1 Like

So now I’m a little confused, monster bass traps or the T50s won’t work behind a sofa? My understanding was that low frequency sound waves would happily travel right through the sofa to the traps behind.

Hi Mark, believe the idea with most if not all velocity based absorbers is that the low frequency air pressure will have to be freely allowed to flow through them and be transferred into heat. See, it’s win win this time of year :partying_face: ATB Peter

I see, thanks Peter, back to the drawing board :slightly_smiling_face:
Cheers,
Mark

1 Like

As others have said, start by typing @ and a list of names appears. Keep typing the user’s name and you get the correct one.

1 Like

Hello Thomas, have to say it again … that link is extremely helpful, thanks.

Been looking into panel absorbers and watched this video which explains them really well, and what the weight entry in the calculator refers to.

MDF has a density of ~640 kg/m3, so 1 sq metre of 15 mm MDF is ~9.6 kg.
Using the calculator a box of 1m x 1m, 50mm deep with a panel of 15mm MDF on the front gives an absorption of 43.3 hz, exactly what I need and a slim 65mm depth. That’s with an empty box, fill it with foam and it goes down to 36 hz.

Unless I’ve got the above completely wrong (entirely possible!) this sounds like something I really need to try.

Are you considering this technique for your room rebuild? Seems like an ideal application, especially using different panel densities for different frequencies.

Cheers,
Mark

Edit: of course I did get my maths wrong, would need to be 18cm deep for that panel size :roll_eyes:

Edit 2: A metre square box made from 25mm MDF and 10 cm deep would give 47 hz empty and 39 hz filled with foam.

1 Like

I remember my first pair of DIY speakers had a little too much bass energy down low for the room they were in so I used 500g sand bags and dropped them in the port to reduce cabinet volume and thus reducing the low end output slightly. I think I ended up with 5 bags in each speaker. It worked.

3 Likes