The Lunch Club

Is there anything better than some formula of Bread & Bacon at lunch time?
Whether it be a simple Bacon Roll or a Camembert and Pancetta Pain Au Rustic, it is simply a fact that some form of Grilled Cured Pork Rasher and Bread is a marvellous lunch.
I’ve just had a Stonebaked Baguette with Dry Cured Smoked Streaky British Bacon and it was simply delicious.
What is YOUR favourite lunchtime morsel and where do you normally get it from?

1 Like

It sounds like you are having your breakfast very late.

No… Shreddies with Raspberries for breakfast :yum:

1 Like

My favourite lunch is Uitsmijter Ham Kaas. Basically some slices of bread with ham, cheese and fried eggs on top.

On fridays it’s fish and chips though but only when I’m in the UK.

3 Likes

I can’t eat Fish & Chips anymore.
Deep Fried food simply no longer agrees with me :confused:

2 Likes

Toasted brown bread with hummus and sliced cucumber. A sprinkle of salt and pepper as an everyday staple.

Sandwich of organic sauerkraut, corned beef, thinly sliced Mrs Elswood Haimisha pickled cucumbers and Provolone cheese really hits the spot for a midweek treat.

Special occasions a half sliced rye baguette topped with garlic marinated anchovies and creamy blue cheese…
Or topped with cut up roll mops and tzatziki.

Whatever is always so much more elevated with fresh tomato and cucumber.

But yeah, as much as I love a good Smokey bacon. It’s more a breakfast or dinner thing for me.
Lunchtime I’m usually a heathen trying to get things together as quickly as possible - even assembling the contents within my mouth instead of on the plate.
Cooking bacon takes up too much of my time.

4 Likes

Very decadent…

Not really. I used to like just a ham and mustard sandwich. But prices of the simple staples have shot up through the roof lately. Might as well spend the same on what I like and what’s better for me.

2 Likes

From autumn until spring I tend to make a pot of soup (leak, potato, vegetable usually) that lasts a few days and it’s ideal for lunch along with a couple slices of Sourdough bread, or maybe some freshly baked rolls.

8 Likes

Oh Yeah! Homemade Soup is the best…
My wife and I often use leftover Leek & Potato Soup and add roast Chicken & Button Mushrooms and pour over Steamed Rice as a light supper :yum: :yum:

2 Likes

It is different every day. Sometimes homemade soup with homemade bread others a bagel with a filling of some kind or leftovers from the night before’s dinner, e.g. yesterday I had half a stuffed pepper with a bit of salad. The only thing in common with them is that all are veggie.

1 Like

I love an Uitsmijter but I do an anglicised version. The bread is toasted and I add streaky bacon. Yum. Definitely a once in a blue moon treat.

1 Like

Ah Uitsmijter Ham en Kaas……brings back fond memories of my time living in Den Haag.

Another Dutch favourite in winter was Ertwen soup (not sure if I spelt it correctly). Basically a really thick pea soup, with bits of bacon and lardons in it. My Dutch colleagues used to say that unless you could stand a spoon upright in the soup then it isn’t a proper Ertwen soup. Delicious……

2 Likes

For winter, I’m with the home made soup bunch in here. Either Cullen Skink, Fisherman’s Bisque, Tomato and Harissa or Curried Parsnip. Served with a chunk of expensive bread.

Summer is usually home smoked meats with expensive bread and glass of quaffing wine.

1 Like

Now we’re talking!
Streaky Bacon…:bacon:

1 Like

I work from home and do love a sarny at lunchtime but a favourite recently is wild (shop bought) mushrooms on sourdough toast with cream / shallots / garlic.

3 Likes

Toasted half muffin, smoked salmon, poached egg, hollandaise dusted with Cayenne pepper.

2 Likes

Sometimes I go old school, crack open a tin of Pilchards in tomatoe sauce, pick out the bones, mash it up with a fork and spread it on a couple of slices of warm lightly buttered toast. Deliscious.

3 Likes

Good hangover cure this is, especially adding Tabasco sauce, S&P and a splash of vodka.

wow, that’s some lunch.

It’s been some time for me, but is that a better cure than a greasy spoon?