The Lunch Club

There you go!
Good old Artery Clogging cooked Mechanically Reclaimed Pork in a sandwich.
Can’t beat it! :yum:

3 Likes

Presumably that means the quantity of beer is not small… (though I understand alcohol may be even more expensive in Sweden than Norway).

No, generally not. Norway is known to be the most expensive Scandinavian country .

Like elsewhere, prices have increased here too. Eating and drinking out has become more expensive over the last year or so.

Recently, I had a discussion/disagreement with the manager of my gym. It is a franchise and is run by the same generic customer protocols. Last year because of the energy price rises, they decided to close down the saunas and steam rooms explaining that if they did not they ‘may’ have to raise the membership prices, so this was clearly the better option…for them. Despite the fact that they were getting government energy subsidies like many businesses.

It really annoyed me that a private company who made profits playing the capitalist game decided that they did not like the game anymore so rather than take a hit on their profits, they reduced the services to their customers despite entering into a monthly £65 contract where those service were included. In addition, they did not offer a reduction of my monthly fee, rather, their enphasis was on the point that they would have to increase the fee. Unacceptable in my view.

Anyway, some months past and the saunas and steam room were turned on again but only between certain times in the day.

1 Like

Blimey, “crispy fried spam” in white bread………I have enough problems as it is, hence the gym thing.

JOF, I will be sure to try that - thanks for the recommendation!

1 Like

Interesting, because skiing in Hemsedal on two different occasions (a good few years ago now), the hotel we were in was over-run by Swedes at the weekend, all getting very drunk, and we were told they cone across the border for better skiing and cheaper beer!

I haven’t had Spam since leaving my parental home 50 years ago - and the Monty Python team clearly shared my enthusiasm for the distinctly artificial product! (Though it definitely had a place in post-war Britain - and perhaps a revival now with the worst economy for many decades…)

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t either, Pete. Usually just a coffee early afternoon. If I eat I get tired.

50 years, that’s about the same for me. Never really liked Spam.
In Canada, we had Clik and Cam as well, which were basically the same as Spam.

Ah but…… when you are in your 83rd year you have a gentle acceptance that the reaper is not that far away so you might as well have a decent sarnie whilst waiting.

I probably had to eat a lot of processed pork as a war baby. The sausages,from memory,were pink rusk so Spam or similar was a wholesome treat. Boiled cabbage and taters with a slice of warm Spam.
The taste is there in my DNA.

3 Likes

Next time you are in the supermarket notice the price of a small tin of Spam. It would now be a luxury to many.

1 Like

Spam is quite a thing in Hawaii and Japan. Spam burger is availavle from a couple chains. You can buy sushi topped with Spam (spam musubi) at any 7-Eleven.

It sort of straddles the line between full on processed mystery meat and just malformed ham; being just rolled and cured pork shoulder.

I always turned my nose up at Spam until about 10 years back. Once in a blue moon I’ll order a fried Spam and egg breakfast folded naan from Freshness Burger.

3 Likes

That breakfast sounds heavenly. A little too far for deliver-oo.

1 Like

Pastrami, emmental, pickle on rye… easy on the dijon… :yum:

7 Likes

Reminds me of the salt beef sandwiches from the food hall at the Oxford Street branch of Selfridges. Bliss.

2 Likes

We were commenting only yesterday that the shower temperatures at our gym seem significantly lower in the last 6 months or so.

A favourite of mine a Vietnamese Banh Mi Pork roll. There’s a place in Mascot (Sydney) where people queue up around the block for one.

4 Likes

….ha! And the removal of the free shower gel from our showers. They think we are stupid, Alley Cat.

2 Likes

This thread suddenly has an immediacy to it for me. Just ate my last meal until after a routine colonoscopy tomorrow morning. Due to the restricted diet over the last two days, it was not a dish at the top of my favourites list. Now looking forward to a tasty brunch tomorrow.

3 Likes

Two words that shouldn’t be in the same sentence.

1 Like