The lungs need help

It is so painful to watch this…

Doesnt it break your heart ?? :cry:

In this post i will attempt to write down the problem with present day thinking :-

a.

Problem thinking :- is that people tend to commoditize everything.

At this rate people will commoditize their mothers and fathers too ??

After all do we really need a mother and father when all a scientist needs to do is to fuse a sperm and egg and incubate… ???

Then what value are our parents for example if they are reduced to only life forms ??

Dont they nourish / nurture and care for us ?

Thats what makes them parents…

Air and water - which are basic ingredients for life to exist - are being commoditized to an uncomfortable extent.

Comparing clean air to Oil from the Middle East is an unsuitable example - in my opinion.

One needs to think deeper.

There are 2 completely different set of natural resources.

One set of resources nurtures life while the other is an acquired habit - Oil.

When the oil is not available anymore - there will be other forms of energy to see us through.

But thats not the case if we destroy - knowingly - large forest areas like the rain Forest in S America.

Today our cars carry a fuel tank to store fuel - do you want to live with an oxygen can strapped to you r back ? since oxygen can be generated and supplied seemingly at will ?

b.

Problem thinking - The Rain forest belongs to Brazil.

Remember that the life sustaining assets provided by earth only pass thru Brazil ( for example ).

Similar logic applies to the Himalayan Glaciers.

These 2 examples ( few more can be added ) belong to mankind and it is the obligation of the country which hosts these immense natural assets to nurture it for the future.

Therefore the Brazilian people ( like other people who live in forested areas ) have a responsibility to use the forest for their need and not for their greed.

b.

Problem thinking - No value for other life forms…

How about the animals and birds and insects on the Amazon ?

How about the mammoth trees that feed oxygen to the planet ?

How about local tribes ??

Dont they have a right to live ?

Or is the right to live also being commercialized to soybean farmers and cattle ranchers…

Remember if you smoke extensively - a Cancer will give you deliverance.

I am afraid the Earth will contract the cancers of pollution and these will be ir-reversible.

There are many things which Mankind does not fully understand.

c.

Problem thinking - its their problem - not mine

Very soon when the neighbors fire starts singeing your doorstep - you will realize it was a mistake to not persuade ( force ) the neighbor to put out the deliberate fire.

d. Problem thinking - the fires can be controlled

I am afraid - not.

From what i read in the papers these cannot be controlled or brought to a stop. The logistics are too heavy for Brazil and i fear they will be helpless - even if they want to do something about it.

e. Problem thinking - The pot calling the kettle black

In other words - any call by the G7 nations will be met with resistance in Brazil.

The G7 nations - many f them - have destroyed their own natural assets to get to where they are and they expect Brazil to not exploit the resources that passes thru their geography ?

Which is why - the UN is a better bet IMO than the USA or EU or BRICS for example…

Commoditizing a priceless asset is not the answer.

f.

Problem thinking - Soy and cattle meat will ensure prosperity for Brazil

Already there appears to be a tilt towards more sustainable form of diet.

I wonder if the Brazilian president is really convinced that this is a economically un-sustainable proposition.

regards

Mike_S

any attempt by developed nations to flag Brazil will be met with resistance.

Most of the developed nations can be accused of - do as i say but dont do as i do…

This is where groups of nations come in…

IMO anyways…

Dwindling ( life sustaining ) natural resources need special conservation…and i agree with your last para and i will include China and India as well.

The intelligence of man is demonstrated by the fact that we go looking for life on other planets while we go about destroying our own…

regards
wpm

I’ll assume that was said in jest.

Ok,

my oil in the Emirates example was used as an example of mankind’s willingness to pay for something he wants. Brazil has in the past made it clear that if others want the trees to be sustained so they absorb carbon and release oxygen, people should pay. That seems reasonable to me.

No doubt others have differing opinions.

2 more additions to the Problem thinking points :-

g.

De-forestation can be reversed.

This is a fallacy - the reasons can be deduced easily. A hundred thousand years of natures work and in all its complexity cannot be replicated by man.

Reforestation is a good idea - but it will only be a substitute for the real thing.

Its not only about Oxygen but about various life forms

Its about losing the protective cover

Its about polluting the waters / oceans in the nearby areas - for a start - due to loss of tree cover

h.

Its an environmentalists problem… they will solve it - its their job

The scale of the burning will reveal that this will quickly become our problem too.

There are limits to what environmentalists can do and these days many governments do not like people who show the reality.

We arent taking about small patches of land here…

i. Problem area - Leadership

There is silence from all the leaders in the world.

Definitely more needs to be done and quickly.

President Macron wants this on the G7 agenda asap but we need other world leaders &
B-RICS to convince the Brazilian President to reverse course - as fast as he can.

regards

Looks like the French would like to stop trading with Brazil. Presumably to put pressure on Brazil to look after the forests ?

This appears to be a typical ploy these days.

Will it work ? Is it morally acceptable ?

And sadly, Brazil’s politicians have a long history of pocketing it…

There is an article on CNN pointing out a possible trade deal on 2 years between MERCOSUR and the EU.

It appears the Brazilians want to corner that market and more.

Most politicians do pocket some money not just Brazilians :grinning:

It’s not so much different in Asia and well.

The morality is where the rub lies I guess…

My thinking is the offer for some compensatory payment should have been discussed earlier.

Most of the destruction like this will be permanent I guess.

Hope the G7 talks to Brazil and convinced them…

Its going to end badly this one i think…

The army is out but i heard last night on the news - that they are struggling as well.

Looks like nobody cares really…

what a shame.

But has Bolsonaro the fascist sent them out there to fight the fires…?
Or to shoot natives and eco-warriors?

2 Likes

You cannot be serious was the first thing that came to mind when I saw that one…
Numbers, logistics, transport, equipment & spread that over the vast area’s of the forested area’s on fire.
It doesn’t stack up, like everything to do with that anal gland, deceit, subterfuge & lies.

Never imagined this that years down the road I will have to tell my grand kids…there used to be a huge forest here…

Will have no answer to what happened to it ?

Manhattan Transfer - The Jungle Pioneer from ‘Brazil’ written in 1987.

Here where we stand there used to be a forest
A timber rising endlessly before us
We cleared away that God forsaken jungle
And in return the Indians adore us

What was mud now is a highway
Reaching wide into a prairie
Horses run – cattle are grazing
You would swear it was Oklahoma

Day by day dark is illuminated
God’s mistake altered and uncreated
Wrong’s made right left to the jungle pioneer

See in the field my little son and daughter
Not long ago that ground was underwater
Now you can see them walking with the cattle
Singing them songs before they go to slaughter

There are those who would oppose us
Crying out, “God save the planet”
Bleeding hearts can’t turn asunder
This the eighth and final wonder

Day by day this land is liberated
God’s mistake altered and uncreated
Wrong’s made right left to the jungle pioneer

Saddle up giddy up and ride on out of here
We got a mile of burning to do today
Get along now gonna need you out of here
We got a pile of earning to do today

Down in Brazil there used to be a forest
Now in it’s place a crazy wind is whistling
As every tree was falling in the forest
It made a sound but nobody was listening

When the last is buried under
What has been will be no longer
No matter what man may endeavor
Eden’s gate closes forever

Day by day life is eliminated
God’s own work altered and eliminated
Through it all there stands the jungle pioneer

2 Likes

I note the orange coloured deranged one did not attend the G7 meeting to discuss the outstanding Brazil issues & other environmental stuff.
Its way past time the UN stepped up to the block & called out trump for what he is, a global threat to the environment - plus plus plus…
Hats off to Macron & the others for at least publicly escalating it to a wider world, & here’s hoping it has gained the momentum to both begin solving the immediate 2019 problem & also to begin to make the changes needed to satisfy both the needs of Brazil & the long term global problem

1 Like

The Earth Song …Michael Jackson

in the immediate - there has to be trade sanctions against Brazil mainly.