The most dull question on the forum?

Does the SC have one large transformer though V one each on the hicap? Interesting stuff

OK @Cat_1965, thats what technical support said on the phone. So you’re saying that connected conventionally using the 2 Snaics, the SC offers no SQ improvement over the HC - do you have a view as to why other people are saying the opposite? Or perhaps I’ve misunderstood

No one is suggesting the Supercap is doing anything fundamentally different to two hicaps. However there is the issue of requiring closely matched hicaps for best performance. Also the Supercap should provide a better quality of power than two hicaps and should the chance to upgrade to a 252 ever become an option you have a head start. As I stated though, not everyone agrees so it’s for each to make their own choice. By the way, discussion of third party mods to power supply is not allowed on the forum.

I have removed a couple of posts. Please would members respect forum rules. Discussion of unauthorised modifications to Naim kit is not allowed. Such modifications will at best not give you the performance intended and at worst may end up damaging associated or connected equipment. Thank you.

Richard it certainly isn’t a definite… I found my SuoerCapDR upgrade a retrograde step on my 282 over my single HiCapDR… to the point I kept my SuperCapDR in storage until I later got a 252…
All subjective… i know (it brought out the forwardness of the 282 too much)
So as always i do suggest auditioning carefully over a few days… one might find the ‘show room’ effect of initially impressive to long term tiring,

Simon, an interesting observation, and of course, I can only go on my own experience of Supercap Vs. Hicap, pre-DR. I have no experience of comparing the DR versions on the NAC282; one might well assume that the hierarchy would be the same, but your experience suggests it is perhaps not so clear cut.

Sure pre DR I agree quite different … the performance lift from Hicap to HiCapDR on the 282 was immense in my experience and seemed to bring the 282 into its Goldilocks state.

I am… two hicaps provide a split ground, which is a compromise that is combined on the 282 , the SuperCap aligns the grounds at source lowering noise floor and provides a more consistent power supply match between left and right, not least because of the matching as you say.

The downside of this SuperCap benefit, is that it can only power one device at a time if to avoid ground loops.

But as I say above, in my experience this is moot, as a single HiCapDR sounded best to me over twin HiCapDR and SuperCapDR.

1 Like

Good point. I overlooked that.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.