The nagging 282 question

I used to think that the 202/200 is the best value in the Naim range of separates but the 282/250DR has taken that spot now. The 282 is not only best VFM preamp but a keeper in my book after a recent attempt to topple it with a Sonneteer Orton, in some ways. After a short stint with the Orton, I now appreciate the capabilities and qualities of the 282/250DR even more. The 282 and 250DR are not going anywhere for a very long time. I was attempting something new in the Orton, to fix something that isn’t broken and the results speak for itself.

I can surely understand the temptation of the higher level Naim in the form of 252 and 552 especially if one already has the Supercap with the 282. The urge to try the 252 seems to be natural as the Supercap is mainly designed and built for the 252, and considering the fact that the cost of upgrade from 282 to 252 may not be too hard to the wallet.

However, if funds are tight, I surely feel that one can easily settle with the 282/250DR/HicapDR for good. It is a very accomplished system at a very reasonable outlay (although I know many will disagree!) Not many amps out of Naim will be able to match the energy and high quality robust delivery of the 282 (and 250DR). Perhaps there’s none.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.