The Naim and Harbeth thread

At the time when my M30.1 were playing with CDS3 / 252/250 full Powerline

8 Likes

I had found that the Fraimships under Skylan’s feet brought good acuracy to the low medium and helped speed in this region of the spectrum.

I can see from your pictures that you use spikes for the stands. So far, my Tonträger are placed directly on the floating wooden floor, same as with the speakers on the stands. I will try out different solutions.

My 5+ are placed 103cm from the front wall, measured from the baffle and 175cm cc baffle to side walls. Work really well.

Will add some pictures later.

S

what is the distance between the speakers?

At home, the M30.1 were positioned at 90cm from the back wall, + 2m from the side walls and 170cm distance between the inner cases of the speakers

192 cm between inner walls.
I have compared short wall vs long wall several times and if possible it`s worth spending some time to try different placement.

S

I’ve been upgrading again…

Added a Wireworld Matrix 2 powerblock. Using only NAIM Power Line-lite on all devices.
I’ve replaced the Supernait 2 and I’m now using the following configuration :

• Naim NDX 2
  • Naim NAC 282 Preamplifier
  • Naim HiCap DR and NACSC
  • Naim NAP 250DR
  • 2 x 5M Black Rhodium Foxtrot Speaker Cables
  • Naim Lavender DIN interconnect

Into my Harbeth SHL5+ 40th Anniversarys on Something Solid XF stands.

This combination is just stunning. It seems that whatever you throw at the Harbeths they still don’t end up being the weak point in a system. Really remarkable.

16 Likes

Harbeth is so far from Naim soundwise - it’s unbeliable. Compare SL2, SBL with any model of Harbeth and the latter is a laugh, Naim speakers are thoughtful technology and brainpower… Harbeth is just fog and resonances. Sorry.

2 Likes

…if so, the only problem of course is that Naim no longer make speakers themselves.
I thought the Harbeth speakers at the Bristol show sounded very good, but have no idea what was driving them.

1 Like

Simply not true. Different, certainly, but having gone from SBLs to 30.1s, the latter is categorically not laughable.

As ever, it’s horses for courses, depending on the room, individual preferences etc. Anyone who makes out that there is some objective fact of the matter is simply wrong.

4 Likes

Funny how we perceive things differently.

Harbeth enclosures are based on BBC designs which reduce panel resonances to a minimum to prevent coloration of voices and musical instruments. They also developed their own radial cone material which is renowned to have very low coloration compared to most other materials.

Naim took a way more complicated approach to minimise panel resonances but the result of those efforts have never allowed them to gain a market the way Harbeth did.

1 Like

If the fog had the same medium as the Harbeth, I will often walk in the bad weather :yum:

2 Likes

Sometimes mixing different sound signatures can work well. If you have an overly bright analytical system mixing with something warm and smooth might even things out.

I have to disagree though at describing Harbeth as resonances, not my experience with 30.1. Every box has a resonant frequency that creates distortion but Harbeth keeps that low in the bass to keep the all important mids clean and detailed. Low bass could be better but for a ported design it’s very good.

2 Likes

My only experience with a Naim speaker is the SL2. I would take a Harbeth over the SL2 any day. Even though I did NOT have the SL2 setup optimally. They were against a brick wall and the distance between speakers was not more than 1.8metres. My floor is also suspended hardwood. Ideally you would want concrete and the speakers placed well apart for better sounstaging and imaging.

Having said that I got an idea of what this speaker is capable of. Even so in my opinion it is bettered by the 30.2. The SL2 has a sweet treble and very good mids. With the same equipment the 30.2 had a sweeter treble and a more voluptuous mid range. The SL2 is very clean and dare I say slightly thin sounding.

The bass is well defined on the SL2 but it did not have acceptable bass extension in my room. Whereas the 30.2 in the same room produced very satisfying bass. Perhaps not as well defined as the SL2, but with a few tweaks this difference can be greatly reduced with Harbeth speakers. Tweaks like keeping the grilles on, slate slabs under the stands and seating the speakers on very rigid but open frame speaker stands. I prefer the sound from wooden stands but metal frame stands also work very well.

To conclude, Harbeth speakers are very well designed and have enough to offer to compete with any speakers brand available today.

2 Likes

Nice. I use the same amplification (NAC 282, NAP 250DR, Hicap DR and NAPSC) driving Harbeth SHL5 Plus. Wireworld Matrix 2 as well.
Chord Epic Twin and Chord Signature Tuned Aray cables and source is Chord QBD76 DAC.

I’ve ended my journey here. Musical bliss.

3 Likes

Need some photos! :slight_smile:

My comment may ruffle a few feathers here. In my limited experience, most speakers I’ve heard may sound cleaner and more detailed but usually thin and sterile. The Harbeth sounds fuller in the midrange and plays with more emotion.

2 Likes

It is further up on post #31. :wink:

1 Like

AHH. So it is! Lovely. Sorry :sunglasses::heart_eyes:

I have some SHL5+ on home demo. Sounding very good on my Naim system. Does anyone have experience of the 40th anniversary? Any difference between the two? Are the anniversary’s worth the extra outlay?

7 Likes

I did a back to back with my SHL5+ 40ths against regular SHL5+ - there is a slight improvement.

Really up to you if you want a limited edition speaker or not.

Do you like the look of the exclusive limited edition veneer versus the standard veneer? Do you think that higher quality binding posts or a modified crossover are worth the extra?

As I said in another thread, the 40ths offer a little future proofing, because back when Alan did the 30th editions the changes filtered in eventually to the regular models.