The Naim app is so janky

Hi Ross, that is a good point.

So you opted for a Linn streamer over a Naim Streamer on the basis that the app can not be run on desktop?

Purely out of interest, what is it about a mobile device that you don’t like, regarding controlling streaming music?

This sort of indicates that it may be your WiFi that is at fault. Any mesh systems etc?

Thanks Dave, i do know about the filtering by Artist/Album yes. My collection is rather large, over 3000 albums, so scrolling through those lists takes quite a bit of time and effort each time i want to play something different. A search such as BubbleUPNP offers takes me to the right artist, album or track within 5-10 seconds, which makes a big difference…

1 Like

OK, as it was working I suspect it is the app.
Have you tried to delete the app ? but also include a power cycle on the whole system including your BB router & then after a system restart (router first) to reinstall the app.

Maybe, maybe not but the app will not correct network deficiencies only suffer from them and be blamed.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Tried a different phone. Reset the Cisco switch, router, NDS, the NAS drive. Basically the lot.

Only about 200 CDs on NAS drive with 2 TB capacity.

At a complete loss tbh. NAS and NDS all hardwired. WiFi works on everything else.

Why is it only Naim app doesn’t work and everything else does?

Very frustrating! And people saying it’s your network is like a red rag to a bulk right now!

That may be the case but seems to be just Naim app. Arrrrgh!

1 Like

I’m still not following. I can search my nas, with nearly 5,000 albums, by album or artist and find everything really easily. Maybe we are referring to different things.

I wonder if there’s a misunderstanding over the term “search”?

As I mentioned above, the search button seems set to search Tidal by default, but like yourself, Nigel, I can call up a list, by Artist or Album, etc., and scroll through, (search?) my music.

I for one who have had very few issues with the Naim app, and none in respect of connectivity, but have never bothered to post a favourable review. If I had major issues with the app I would probably have done so, it might improve balance if those who have no issues posted accordingly, I will do this now.
I read most audio mags and the reviewers consistently note the Naim app to be better than most.

2 Likes

@anon4489532 and @dave-marshall

I wonder, how many clicks and time does it roughly take you to go from an arbitrary album to a different one, by a different artist or in a different genre?

When i use the Naim app to do this it will take me somewhere between 5-10 clicks and 30-40 seconds of work each time i want to playing something different. Where the BubbleUPNP approach, where simply typing a term in the main search bar gives back all the relevant results in all categories (artist/album/track/etc) directly, in under 5-10 seconds.

For me that is a big difference in how convenient an app works and whether it does or doesn’t pull me out of the flow of simply enjoying the music…

I’m referring to this in the Bubble app:

Just type in the word that you’re looking for and you’re done.

1 Like

Ah, I see. Yes, you have to go back to the list and then find another artist or album. As I play whole albums it’s not an issue, but if you want to flick about and play tracks I can see it’s more of an issue.

1 Like

Jof, thanks… Merely that it is much easier finding and controlling music, favourite albums etc from a big screen and keyboard. I have an iphone, but not as easy as a desktop. Am amazed that Naim do not do this. I have asked

Thanks Ross.

And I presume then tablet would also be too uncomfortable for you to use?

I’m trialling Roon at the moment and my first impressions are that the Naim app is a better experience. Whilst Roon gives much more information and coalition, I find its gets in the way of the listening experience and the volume control doesn’t work with the NDX2! The Naim app has a cleaner interface (larger art displays, better use of favourites tags etc) and just lets you find your music quickly and play it.

I like how Roon combines your local and service libraries and shows recently played material, so these would be good additions to the Naim app. But I find the whole curation thing a bit overwhelming and distracting. There is also an annoying thing where it reloads every time you switch apps. Most of the curation detail is actually available through the Naim app anyway, with a different UI.

So, I think the Naim app does what it needs to do well, and there is always room for refinement.

6 Likes

Let’s vote then ?

I should look at replacing your router, to be frank.

In 1 to 5 how do you rate the Android Naim App for the purpose of controlling the streamers ?

only on iOS, and not for the local stuff. And as far as I have used the Naim app on iOS, I believe that you have not yet seen the powers of Roon, or I have not seen the powers of the Naim app. In the Naim app, can I click on a musician or engineer and see every other recording that they performed on? Can I click a track and see all its cover versions? Or define a search that shows me only the recordings that are rated 4+ stars in the Folk genre from the 70ies?

Hmm, I guess you need more time with Roon! :wink:

But yes, not everyone needs Roon, and maybe the free Naim app does not have to be Roon. (Though it would be good option if a dedicated Naim server had something similar, even if it is unrealistic). Myself, don’t want to be without it.

The volume control not working is because the NDX2 has no good digital volume control, not Roon’s fault

1 Like

Quite possibly, I’m only 2 days in on the trial.

No, but it’s not of particular internet to me I think…

Yes, this was a disappointing discovery, especially as the NDX2 is advertised as Roon ready…