The Naim Forum Album of the Year 2023

Judging by the albums posted here, my taste in music is in stark contrast to the rest of the Naim community… and audiophiles in general I would say.

AOTY:

Mutoid Man - Mutants

Side project of Cave In’s Stephen Broadsky that is a roiling mix of thrash, sludge, metalcore and most importantly, fun. This album has me grinning ear-to-ear whenever I listen to it, with a head noddin’, infectious energy that makes it impossible not to sing along.

https://youtu.be/wdQFzJIG-dU?si=g9Ad9IBx9KzsxBpm

Other notable releases (not ranked in any order):

Crypta - Shades of Sorrow

Ann all-women technical death metal band from Brazil? Hell yeah. Channels Death in all the good ways.

Blood Command - World Domination

Straight-up bonkers. Don’t ask. Go listen.

Trichotomy - To Vanish

a0612226688_2

Avant-garde Aussie jazz band. Hoping they tour here in Sydney so I can go see them.

Tomb Mold - The Enduring Spirit

Have only spun this slab of weird progressive death metal once since getting it recently but I really enjoyed what I heard.

Metallica - 72 Seasons

A confident album from a band with nothing left to prove. Lacking the highs of Hardwired… but neither possessing the lows, 72 Seasons is a slick, clinically delivered microcosm of modern Metallica. The lack of any low-key ballads/instrumental numbers robs the album of some needed flavour but still an impressive statement for a band celebrating over 40 years since their debut. Now how about announcing Australia for your world-wide tour, eh?

1 Like

The Compact Disc (available on carmengomes.bandcamp.com ) is exceptionally well-mastered. I guess that is what you get when it’s done by Sound Liaison’s sound wizard Frans de Rond, the same engineer who made the DXD recording.

Unfortunately only 3 tracks seem to be available on Tidal :slightly_frowning_face:. Several other albums of hers are available though.

Tidal sometimes seem to ‘forget’ albums after they have posted a few singles. I can think of several examples. You can make requests to Tidal here:

Only 3 tracks on Qobuz also.

Yep, I can’t find it either.

Hey, thanks, Tim
I just put this on Qobuz, and it sounds great!

Artist nowadays first release a bunch of singles before the actual album release on the streaming sites. In this case it’s a pity as this is definitely an album one should play in one go from start to finish to get the full experience. I have the download. It’s available at NativeDSD and at Sound Liaison.com

I thought releasing singles before the album has always been the pattern? Fishing to get a bite…

3 Likes

Lots of good recommendations, 2023 was a good year :grin:

Yes but nowadays some artist release a whole bunch of songs piece by piece before the whole album.

[quote] I thought releasing singles before the album has always been the pattern? Fishing to get a bite…[/quote

2 Likes

One of my favorites of the year is this Nat King Cole type trio;

Link; The Ghost, the King and I - We Got Rhythm: The Music of George Gershwin
and very fine reviews as well;

“A fantastic virtuosic and sparkling album, transcending all clichés thanks to the qualities of this strong trio and their refreshing approach. “
RootsTime.Be

1 Like

+1. So good to see new artists coming up.

+2, I had quiet a discussion with a friend about that and eventually he had to give in that some good new recordings are being made but he still prefers Sinatra and Miles.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.