The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Hi Richard, streaming is a big part of what I want but not my only interest. I will continue to play CDs for some time as well as using Apple music.

Yes, still collating. Unfortunately, the 222 and 300 are not getting much use at present At this rate, the rest of the 300 series will be released, before mine has run in. :blush:
What I can say, is the 222 and 300 are a step up from the Atom HE.

7 Likes

Steve, my dealer provided me with some leads to temporarily connect my Atom to my Nap300dr for a short period. Worked great - would this be the same cable to connect Atom or Nova to the new 250 power amp as described in your post. Many thanks.

What kind of step up are you experiencing here. Considering you could buy 4 HEā€™s for the same price.

And on headphones?

Clear that it will be an upgrade but as specific replacement for the HE how are you rating it.

So you are running 300s active into the ATCs?

1 Like

And if you could share some thought on the bare 222 vs the Atom HE that would be great?

2 Likes

Indeed so, and for many it is, and more!

I can commwent on this one. I have run both into my active SCM40A. The 222 is significantly better, more transparent, more detail etc. Not tried through headphones though

4 Likes

No - 250NC XLR inputs are a standard config whereas 300DR are Naim specificā€¦

3 Likes

Good to know, I am planning to do this comparison soon myself and see what the difference is before the 300 PSU is added.

Could not agree more. Unfortunately it is not an easy thing do but ultimately is the only way to make a reasonable decision.

Maybe it works in the reverse and the 222 is 30 above the 252 :thinking: :rofl:

Who knows what these numbers mean?

Does anybody know if these new amps still use the Zobel Network and therefore still need a minimum of 3.5 meters of speaker cable or have they been designed so they can take advantage of new wireless technology/speakers?

Cool - thanks.

1 Like

Steve mentions earlier in the thread that the new amps are technically much more tolerant of different cabling. Of course, how that will work out sound-wise, nobody has yet ascertained. I note that Steve still recommends NACA5ā€¦

5 Likes

Does he means the 222 with the 300 power supply?

Iā€™m specifically interested in this. From Steveā€™s comments there is no doubt it will be better but curious about what people are experiencing in the wild.

1 Like

The following is also in the manual, which are all now on the Naim website for the new boxes:

4.3 Loudspeaker Cable and Connectors
For optimum performance, use Naim NAC A5 or Super Lumina speaker cable,
connected in the correct direction (for example, NAC A5 printed arrows
pointing toward the loudspeaker).
It is important your pair of speaker cables are both the same length, up to a
recommended maximum of 20m. Unlike some earlier Naim designs, we do not
mandate a minimum speaker cable length, but would still suggest you avoid
sub-2m lengths

Link: https://www.naimaudio.com/sites/default/files/products/downloads/files/User_Guide_NAP_250_web_0.pdf

2 Likes

Probably. Numbers are so confusingšŸ¤”

1 Like

Iā€™ll have a listen tonight (through Focal Stellea)

2 Likes