The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Could you connect a headphone to the NSC to check if the unit plays without external amp?
Or could you try other sources (no streaming) by connecting the to the NSC inputs on the back?

Good choice. You can always add a s/h XPS DR or NSP 300 to the NDX 2 later and I think you’ll find the detail will improve beyond the NSC 222, that was my experience when I demoed both.

4 Likes

You and most other people! Still people need to justify their investment it seems.

1 Like

Probably the best and most truthful post on here :+1::+1:

3 Likes

Very well put. I am at a much lower level in the ‘food chain’, but agree wholeheartedly. I honestly think that many peoples’ better’ is just ‘different’ - a bit more of this, a bit less of that. The perceived change may also be influenced by the cost of the change made. So adding say a Supercap must be much ‘better’ than adding a HiCap. Confirmation bias, anyone…?

I am fairly sure anyone moving from say a Supernait territory to the NC222/250 will be well impressed & chuffed. but equally they would have probably been just as chuffed by, say, 282/200.

After many years of this HiFi ‘game’, I am more and more convinced what we hear are the differences,

5 Likes

This is the job of your dealer Jamie. He should do the install to your complete satisfaction. I see more and more people eschewing this service, possibly for discounts? It’s part of the Linn/Naim heritage….

4 Likes

Hi Jamie
I think the problem is you haven’t got some Nice Focal Kanta 2 speakers hooked up ! they so sound great on the 222 .
Hope you get it sorted today
cheers
Paul

I’ll try it again to unplug and replug. I did do factory reset on the nsc222. There isn’t a reset button on either.

There was a massive hum, but that’s now gone.

1 Like

Do you have the link plugs fitted properly?

1 Like

I think reset is the same as on the nova google it
there is an explanation

Yes, I forgot to tell you that, I did get a chance to listen to Kanta on nova and Kanta on the nsc222.

Then… I heard the sopra … Then realized the missus said it was too big… FML.

I’m currently using Arendal 1723S tower but not dead set on them yet.

I’m out for the day but will try again this afternoon/tonight.

The only connections were the 2x XlR and the optical cable between the boxes. Don’t think there was anything else…

You’ll need to have the two link plugs fitted. Check when you’re home. Make sure everything is switched off before you try to fit them.

1 Like

From the NSC222 User Guide… :expressionless:

Agreed. With the 222+300PSU you’re paying for a redundant transformer/power supply section.

The 300PSU is obviously designed to work within the new 300 series. (That’s what it says on the tin). Although, it has the additional benefit of working with the new 200 series.

It is likely that a 300 series steamer/pre amp won’t have an internal power supply, it will be solely powered from the PSU. The savings in not having a transformer/power supply section might bring the manufacturing costs pretty close to the 222.

I personally wouldn’t be buying any of the new classic range, until the whole range of new products has been disclosed.

7 Likes

Also until all the issues (if any) have been ironed out

3 Likes

Why not? If a streaming pre-amp and power amp at this level are what you’ve been waiting for then why wait further? Many have been waiting for just such a thing as this and indeed Naim have taken a quite a lot of flak for having made everyone wait so long (unfortunately certain events beyond their control caused this delay).

15 Likes

Because - bluntly - I cannot afford any of them. Quite simple.

I hope though, that their introduction may cause a few older products to appear, pre-loved - which perhaps I could afford… :thinking:

4 Likes

As you’ve pointed out people have been waiting for a long time for a new Naim streamer/pre amp.

Some people will have jumped in and bought a 200 series streamer/pre, not because they specifically wanted to buy at this level, but because they’ve been waiting for so long for a streamer/pre. If a 300 series streamer/pre is released in the near future some of them might be very disappointed.

What is the reason Naim haven’t disclosed future products. They must know, there must be a list somewhere.

1 Like

That’s exactly what i did ! I was waiting for the NAC272 replacement so last friday i ordered the NSC222 and NAP250. Later this year i will add the NPX300. So i will have a high performance three box Naim system , with no need to add more boxes.

7 Likes