The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

SN3 owner here and no hum until ear nearly against the rack in a silent room. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Iā€™m very jealous! I guess itā€™s luck of the drawā€¦.

Another SN3 owner with no hum whatsoever. My 5si did hum at the time so I do recall the hum.

2 Likes

When I had my SN3 it had an audible hum from around 2m. I sent it back to Naim and it came back virtually silent. Might want to send it back so they can take a look, as 6m is not within spec.

2 Likes

Itā€™s booked in for next month at Salisbury so Iā€™m hopeful that it will be improved. Iā€™m not after library silence - just not obviously audible on the other side of the room!
Itā€™s a fab amp so I really donā€™t want to part company with it.

4 Likes

My SN3 has a bad hum on the LH channel when the phono input is selected; this is whether anything is connected to the input, and switches side if I swap the speaker cables over. It is currently with Naim to resolve - and I am reliably informed that they can (& will) sort it.

3 Likes

But what has the ā€œnew classicā€ done to be so accepted or deserving? They could yet be totally unreliable and sound shocking once burnt in.

Classic I believe infers an amount of time passing in order for acceptance of its status to be called classic.

So yes, IMHO new classic is any oxymoron.

.sjb

3 Likes

I find hum very irritating too. I had a Atom HE which hum really loud. I bought a new NDX 2 instead which was a real boost. Now I have a NDX 2, XPS DR and a Nova. They are completely silent. It seems like a lottery if the units hum or are silent.

3 Likes

Sorry to bother you again. Just very curious about your impressions during the 20/1 demo.

No problem, alas on this occasion I had to reschedule as my car got damaged and is off the road!
As and when I can make it, I will update accordingly, still pending!

Ok, I have had a 222 and ps on loan over the weekend and can share my thoughts (note MY thoughts, not fact)

I am comparing to my 282 hicap chord tt2 Innuos zen mini with psu. Also using solstice on both.

I like the sound of the 222, it is warmer and smoother but noticeably less detailed and backgrounds are noisier? For me I would place the 222 and 300 just below 282 and hicap. I would rate the streamer/dac section as the weak link as the margin narrowed when playing the solstice.

The 300ps on the solstice is really impressive though!

so I will not be replacing the 282 I donā€™t think. However will probably jump on a 300 series pre if the price is right

4 Likes

Hi Richard, not questioning your knowledge but Iā€™m confused. I understood from here and on a couple of other forums that some Olive 250ā€™s have been dr fitted, in Germany and nz/aus.
I thought perhaps given Paul Stephensons statement re new design in the Olive 250 being carried in to the classic range that perhaps later Olives could be dr upgraded.

Just curious. Did you try the Innuos/ChordTT2 into the 222 to test the preamp?

No I tried the solstice on both instead. Hooking up the tt2 and all the wires and ancillaries was just too much effort!

1 Like

My new 200 series ! sadly things took over since I had it installed by my faithful dealer Music Matters on Thursday and I had been without power ā€¦ long story we live off grid and it all went Pete on us leaving us with an unstable power supply.
Anyway tonight itā€™s back to normal and im finally able to listen again! so I had a nova with a 250dr now I think in the hands of other members of the forum who will no doubt cherish and enjoy them as I did "thank you Mark and Danny. So for my second turn on I am totally connived I made the right decision and ordered the new classic 200 the improvement in SQ is beyond my comprehension and thatā€™s after a very small amount of listening, How the additional cost finds so much more from the music is truly astonishing.
ATM my only disappointment is the knob on the front is a little sharp on the edges although it is a very nice one that is beautifully illuminated ! Im guessing Jamie sorted his bent pins out and will back me up with the genius that is ā€œThe New 200 Classic Rangeā€ happy days ahead.

Pins not fixed yet, somehow itā€™s still working, but not sure if it is affecting performance currently.

So Iā€™ve heard nsc222+amp with Kanta no2/Sopra 2.
Pmc25 24i, Arendal 1723S Tower.

My initial thoughts at the moment after 20 hours of playing. This is base don the Arendal 1723S, the bass is good but the Mids I found was lacking slightly interns of accuracy and musicality.

My partner whom also did the same demos with me, said the Nova +Kantas2 sounds better (Vocally) than the Nsc222+amp. Bear in mind I will write back if Iā€™m not busy after 100 hours of playing time.

Nsc222+amp on the Kantas 2 and sopra2 was wellā€¦ Entertaining :relaxed:.

So if anyone is looking to decide between a Nova+Kantas2 (package deal around 10k, at most places), or nsc222+amp and another ,2-3k Speaker (Arendal has 60day trial)
You canā€™t go wrong with either.
The main reason I went for the NSC222+amp was because of the
1.upgradability factor,
2. it was Newly released.
3. Will do better in resale market compared to the Nova/Kanta combo.

1 Like

Just wondering. How many hours of running in have the demo new classics got on them atm. 2, 3 weeks tops? Most people on here have reported significant change in sound presentation/ quality over 2-4 months, so still room for improvement?

Change is not always equal to improvement. If a system sounds just right currently it can surely become a bit flat with burn-in?

.sjb

So hereā€™s Merriam-Websterā€™s definition of classic: ā€œserving as a standard of excellence : of recognized valueā€, which, to me, does not contradict ā€œnewā€.

If theyā€™d called it New Classical, Iā€™d agree that would be an oxymoron. But New Classic? I guess weā€™ll have to agree to disagree.

Roger

1 Like

You can agree to disagree but Iā€™m right :grinning:

.sjb