The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Yes it’s a strange approach. All a dealer really has to do is politely ask what you might be interested in, and then listen as you tell him/her what you might be keen to buy! Perhaps some gentle guidance when/if required.

I was also told that the classic kit has all sorts of legacy connectivity issues, and the new boxes have now finally solved that problem. Not my experience at all, so perplexed on this point as well!

1 Like

My dealer installed my new NSC 222 and NAP 250 this afternoon ! I am upgrading from Supernait 2 / NDX and this is a huge step up. Very easy to set up and configurate via the application. Right out of the box, the sound is great, very detailed without loosing the legendary Naim PRaT. White lights set at lowest intensity are beautiful and not distracting . Will buy the NPX 300 later this year !

41 Likes

Anyone with the New Classic at home. I assume the round lighting should go round to the right as you increase volume smoothly and obviously back as you decrease. Mine seems to move randomly, a number of dots at a time. Doesn’t seem right. I’ve read a number of remote issues on the Facebook groups.

Nice - just changed mine to the lower setting. Much better.

Same thing on my remote !

The remote, does not increase by one illumination at a time, to a corresponding press on the volume remote. Instead, the first four or five lights on the remote illuminate, with a corresponding press on the volume remote control, from approximately one to six presses. There was a problem with this. However, Naim have done a update, which seems to have corrected this. :blush:

1 Like

And me

That is not what I expect to hear from a dealer offering new products to an existing user of the same manufacturer!
I wouldn’t want to hear it at all regarding any products I was looking at in comparison to my existing products, but selling into the same Manufacturer, SHAMEFUL!

Thanks. - what was the issue the update corrected. Mine’s at latest firmware. The remote light pattern just seems random, not as good as the remote for my Atom.

Very nice and I suspect well-balanced system with a focus on vinyl, also in a tasteful Nordic home, doesn’t get much better than that Jussi :ok_hand:

1 Like

Thanks, Bjorn! I really think now this is a perfect combination for me.

1 Like

If you have done the latest update I.e. unit says it is up to date, then you have the correction. Maybe I missed something, but I do not remember seeing the remote control volume illumination on the remote supplied with the Atom HE? The correction in the latest firmware for the 222, and part of it was for the remote sensor option of the remote control, in ‘Other Settings’ in the App. You previously could not enable this function permanently. However, thanks to the nice people at Naim, this now functions correctly. :blush:

1 Like

The new classic does have a clearer sound signature, the opposite of which some might argue is “muddier”. Perhaps the dealer like many of us struggled to find the right words.
As these products roll out with the 300 series it will be interesting to hear what they sound like. I could argue that yes the new classic does have that forward sound we associate with Naim, but now also has the clarity element of other manufacturers…….that have cheaper offerings.

4 Likes

Thanks

Clearer is an interesting sound quality aspect. I certainly like a low noise floor, but I wouldn’t want to sacrifice the weight of the classic sound signature for clarity as such, if it’s analytical over muscle and solidity - which to me are Naim’s strength.

5 Likes

Thats my problem…….i need to hear it again, and some other 300 variants at some point.

1 Like

It is also a sound sugnature I did not hear in my system. The 282 has much more clarity and “air” mainly from the better control of the bass notes. The 222 was a little fuzzy in the bass in comparison, giving it a warmer signature. comparison. Not sure which I prefer yet to be honest. the 282 is less forgiving of anything not quite right in the recording or the equipment, the 222 a little more relaxing but less exciting.

3 Likes

It’s not unrealistic to think that perhaps Naim have tuned these new units to provide a sound signature that appeals to a wider audience rather than just hifi buffs and audiophiles. Not everyone is a fan of the ‘pure’ Naim sound.

2 Likes

During my all too brief listen at the factory my initial feeling was that there was what I could only describe as a 'Statement" flavour to the sound - Statement-lite perhaps?

3 Likes

I haven’t heard the new units so really can’t comment but Statement does get bandied around here quite a bit as a sort of marketing plug, not saying you’re wrong though!

2 Likes