The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Oh, you are naughty :blush:

1 Like

I havenā€™t spent a ton of time with the 222/300 but it easily bettered the 272/XPSDR/250DR so you are right the 222 seems like a great value.

I have spent the last 5 weeks enjoying the NC250 with my 252DR system and the NC250 is so much better than the 250DR was itā€™s almost laughable. And the 250DR is a great amp!

2 Likes

:roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Iā€™ve followed this whole thread throughout, while I have no interest in swapping to the new classic, Iā€™ve been curious on the general thoughts of the new products. What I do find rather interesting is the only posters/comments in regards to the new 250 being greatly superior, etc, etc vs the 300DR happen to all be coming from dealers, coincidence? Any actual 300DR owners that have heard the new products donā€™t seem to have any desire to swap. Even one of the designerā€™s of the new 250 has posted above, that while he prefers the 250 vs 300DR, others prefer the 300DR. You would think out of anyone, if one of the designers, whoā€™s likely voiced the new amp to what he prefers/his taste, says its personal preference, maybe there are some other motives at play here?

15 Likes

I got into hot water posting very similar thoughts on this thread

So Iā€™ll make no further comment daren

Other than to say itā€™s what I hear as a customer is all that matters, nothing else

4 Likes

It definitely could be a coincidence. I can say the new 250 is much closer to the 300DR than it is to the 250DR.

When I did speaker demos, I did all the testing with the dealers 252DR/300DR. When I got my Spendors home, my 252DR/250DR was not even close to the 252DR/300DR. There was so much less weight, drive and control.

The new 250 is much more akin to that. I think the new 250 has similar weight, drive but grabs onto Rhythmā€™s better. It also has a sweeter, more colorful tone and its lower noise lets lets more information through than the 300DR.

However, I think the 300DR had more control, weight and drive and is still better at lower listening levels. I would have to borrow at home to know for sure.

3 Likes

Thank you @nicnaim , a very useful perspective.

I agree with many about the comparison between NC250 and 250DR, as I have both here. I remember the 300DR having a slightly more musical, silky, and faster sound than the 250DR when I tested it on my system, but I didnā€™t consider swapping due to the price difference and my budget at the time.

The NC250 seems to me more musical and silky than my 250DR, but what surprises me is its speed. Having said that many times, I canā€™t claim that the NC250 is better than the 300DR.

As always it largely depends on the kind of music you listen to, your environment, your speakers, and finally your tastes and expectations.

2 Likes

I generally agree, but there is also an objective term beyond subjectivity. Obviously, we donā€™t know yet because the installed base is not sufficient to support one thing over another.

As usual, I say that what is certain is that Naim has done a great job on this new series. And Iā€™m sure weā€™re all very happy with this, regardless of whether we have already been able to listen to/buy it or whether we will do so in the future, perhaps waiting for other components. Even including those who want to keep their current system, given that the entire old series represents to me some of the best and most expressive music reproduction devices.

4 Likes

Iā€™m surprised you got into trouble over expressing such an obvious thing. It seems pretty obvious to me that dealers will be praising the NC250, given that there are no longer any 300 DR amps for them to sell. When the NC 300 is released, they will soon enough be saying itā€™s better than the NC 250, as there will be more profit in selling them :sunglasses:.

But in all things, itā€™s the customers view that counts.

9 Likes

Yep well you know Mike itā€™s like anything in this world

Retailers need an angle to sell their product

2 Likes

Itā€™s not necessarily the case that they need to overhype the product in order to sell it. This is certainly different with other products or in other industries. When the productā€™s quality is objectively good, a skilled salesperson can focus on helping the customer find the correct mix/match and perhaps work on accessories (blessed cables!).

Therefore, itā€™s not a standard rule for me: it depends on the dealer, the context, and the type of customer; a customer who only buys based on the reputation or brand but has no musical culture can buy one or the other product within the one or another famous brand, it wouldnā€™t make a difference anyway; the true enthusiast is more demanding about everything else, and the skilled dealer must be able to interpret the different needs and provide the appropriate service.

Everyone must sell. Building a solid customer base is another profession!

7 Likes

I get what you say completely Akron

1 Like

Naim Classic, old or new? Enjoy what you have, Make your own opinion whats best, based on audition and budget and whats right for you.

S :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Couldnā€™t agree more having demoed them head to head.

3 Likes

Has anyone compared balanced versus unbalanced connections into same power amp?

I havenā€™t heard any of the new range so can not comment on the perceived sound difference. I wonder though if the nc 250 being described as more like the 300DR than the 250DR is something to do with the nc 250 being voiced to be just that. Many people on here have always described the classic 250 and DR to be variously, thinner, brighter and more forward than the rest of the Naim range. I never found it so but other apparently have.

What does this mean please?

For my liking you seem to be rather pushyā€¦ā€¦.as a dealer, thought there were limits.

21 Likes

Iā€™ve optimised my artistic interpretation to be: excessive pride in oneā€™s achievements :man_shrugging:. Ask a friend for advice.

3 Likes

Is there really any need for such mobbing and stupid remarks. He is clearly identified as a trade member, so if you donā€™t like what he has to say then go read elsewhere and avoid such remarks. I would say your remarks are against forum rules from what I read

8 Likes