The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Accidentally pressing up button on your phone inside your pocket? Isn’t it possible to set a maximum level on 222 like on 272?

1 Like

Is the volume on your phone dictating the volume the 222 is using?
I don’t use Spotify (apart from in the car occasionally) but do limit the max volume on my TV Atom as occasionally someome sits on the Apple TV remote and it gets loud quickly.
Annoying in your case none the less, sounds more like a setup issue than anything else, probably not enough to warrant returning the 222.

1 Like

Maybe. Checked this option and it seems like when i adjust the max volume setting the sound is getting lower as how low i set the volum. Very strange actually, i find that weird. So if i set it on 70 i will never get wery loud sound.

Daren,
I fully agree with you. The brain gets fooled easily. You have nicely demonstrated this with your comparisons.

Someone who spent thousands on his latest upgrade WANTS it sound better, so he is desperately trying to tell his brain that it DOES sound better. Wishful thinking play a big role in Hifi.

For me this also explains stories about “breaking in” like, “the system took some weeks to start singing/blossoming/breaking in”. I think it’s just your brain getting used to the new sound!

The biggest delusion is on netwerk cables between network and streamer: “I’m sure my new silver/gold/platinum/iridium network cables sound better!” whilst actually the streamer is just asking the server to send datapacks to keep his buffer filled. It’s like sending a friend a CD and say: “I’ve sent it by DHL, which will make it sound better than sending via UPS” :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I might agree with your view on exotic network cables.

But burn in on naim kit is real. New or serviced kit takes a few weeks to sound at its best and in the interim may sound poor.

Nothing to do with buyers expectations - who expects new kit to not sound fantastic OOTB?

SWMBO thought our 252 sounded a bit “like a waste of money” two weeks in. Try getting her off it now (AirPlay slave).

The new 222/250 would be unlikely to be any different in this respect.

1 Like

Running in equipment and cables is 100% a thing mate. One of my friends knows nothing about audio equipment, when i have put a new bit of kit in, hes noticed the difference over a month or so.

im with you on network cables and switches though

2 Likes

And for this reason, the seasoned audiophile takes his spouse to auditions. :innocent:

3 Likes

Or her spouse….

6 Likes

I’m actually the opposite. I’m looking for any excuse to not like the expensive box I just purchased. It should sound great out of the box and only get better with some run in. Luckily most of my Naim box upgrades have sounded great out of the box and only improved. Some haven’t though. 102/180, SN1, 202, 200, 252, didn’t wow me and I never got on with them no matter how much time passed. Same with network cables, the most expensive I tried were the worse sounding. And so it goes.

1 Like

There are a couple of Spotify app settings that can help reduce the chance of these accidents.
Go to Settings > Devices and make sure that Show Local Devices Only is enabled. This helps to prevent you from inadvertently turning on Spotify and cranking up the volume when you are not at home. Get other Spotify users to do the same if they want to connect to your system.
Also ensure that Devices Lock Screen is disabled. This prevents you from using the iPhone buttons to control volume, which is often the cause of these accidents.

1 Like

Lovely combo :wink:

1 Like

Quite a bit I’m sure you’ll find. Definitely experiment with toe in and distance from the back wall as they warm up. The level of detail and texture they can dig up is quite something. Special pairing for sure.

Enjoy

1 Like

How far apart are Atcs tweeter to tweeter and from back wall tweeter to wall thanks. Ps do you have any rake on them

Hi omegaman. I know this is not optimal but until I replace that wide consul table with something narrower I am stuck with it. Essentially the width tweeter to tweeter is 3m and they are 90cm from the wall. I too am 3m away from the point of the triangle. There is a toe in if that is what you mean by rake?

1 Like

If there was any improvement after product release they will usually upgrade it as part of the service (or ask if its a bigger change). The 52 had a number of improvements during its lifetime.

2 Likes

I’m hoping that, after its servicing, my NAC52 will come back sounding better than ever, Given that it sounds splendid after over 30 years in use, that’s an enticing prospect.

2 Likes

Graham, I recommend you make a note of the serial number and then find out what update options are available for your particular NAC52.

If it’s a very early unit then I’m not sure whether the display board update is still available - it was a very expensive update anyway, and all just to enable RC5 control - but a pots board update is very worthwhile.

If you wish to discuss it further, probably best to start a new dedicated thread to avoid too much of a detour on the New Classic thread here.

2 Likes

I’ve had similar happen a few times with my Atom but within Roon. Press volume up and instead of it going up 1 point it just keeps going up, almost like I’ve left my finger on the button!

Sorry if this has already been asked/answered @110dB -

Does the NC Nap 250 have a minimum speaker cable length requirement, or is it more agnostic than previous designs?

James, Steve has already covered this earlier in the thread. See here;

The minimum length of 3.5m is a sound quality recommendation, but if you must go shorter then it shouldn’t cause damage to the amp.

1 Like