The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Think that’s the best place to be :grin:

Plenty of other enjoyments in life to experience other than music

Although I must admit music and wine go very well together :+1::wine_glass:

3 Likes

To give your review some context, it would be helpful if you let us know what speakers were used for the demo? Focal presumably?

Not Focal, but I couldn’t read the label from where I was sat, I’m afraid.

And good cheese :grin:

2 Likes

Oops agree - forgot about that :+1:

2 Likes

Yeah, but you’ll be getting on a bit to enjoy certain things :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ha ha you got me there mate :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Looked like the latest Spendor D9.

1 Like

My dealer has apparently been selling these new components so fast that they’ve had trouble keeping any in as demo units…

Can’t see from your profile where you live James - I assume the UK ?

It may be the case that the new classics are selling well over your way

However my feeling is that it’s the opposite here down under where the prices are very steep

To make matters worse the classic prices (not all but most all) have been discounted

Hence the gap between the new classics prices and trade in values for the classics has widened considerably, making it even more difficult for customers to trade up

6 Likes

I’m in the UK. Yeah, I get it, there are some American brands I’ve been keen to get into, but which are a crazy price over here. It’s like that everywhere with imports, I think.

1 Like

It always has been. Having multiple systems, I’ve sort of set myself the limit of one main system being from the UK (the Naim system) and everything else domestic (Japanese).

Speakers do seem to be more of an exception. Many of the well know speaker brands manage to keep costs a little more flat or at least within striking distance. I’d say even in Japan, Japanese speakers are a rarity for most dealers.

One thing that can make buying Naim cost effective is actually living in a country where Naim have no distributor. Then you can buy tax free from the UK and save on shipping if you buy several bits together. Obviously servicing and repairs are a pain in rear. But even at the UK ex VAT prices, I’m a bit shocked by the new gear. You have to really want something to buy an imported brand.

One thing this thread has shown is that the new range exhibits some marvellous engineering strengths and commitment intelligent product design that has similarly been very well received by the target audience (my views on the aesthetics notwithstanding). I do see a tremendous opportunity if Naim can or are willing to consider other delivery structures to reduce middle men. If you look at KEF and B&W for example, they sell direct online as well as through dealers and keep a flatter cost worldwide. Distributors are cut out of the loop. While I don’t dispute at all that the distributors add value, I do dispute that the value is worth the added cost to the end customer. Outside of the UK, so many of us have no access to proper demonstration facilities anyway and have bought on a punt because, frankly, that’s the only way to buy a lot of hifi in the rest of the world. The value added costs for dealer demonstration support, installation, and servicing that many of us can’t use seems wasteful.

3 Likes

A dealer I was speaking to said the same.

Because the 272 was discontinued so long ago, it appears there is a lot of pent-up demand for the 222.

The slight price rise from 250DR to 250.3 not hampering things, people have had time to save up.

Not down under Iain

250DR is now $6,200, new classic 250 is $13,500

Unfortunately I’ve got to say

1 Like

Woah, that’s a right fire sale, good and a bit sad all at once.

Yep but how much is a 3 year old 250 DR worth now, if I wanted to lose that much money I would have bought BMW 7.

Naim were always good at retaining their value apparently not now.

5 Likes

I’m sure the same happened back in the transition to olive and the classic series

No I’m afraid not I transitioned from the Olive to the Classic series without too much pain.

1 Like

Agree Pete - no such issue when I went to classics from olives

How it’s all changed

2 Likes