The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

• We realised we were wrong all along.
  • We bowed to audiophile knowitall preassure.
  • We found magic dust that makes our non DIN implementation superior to anyone elses. Please believe us.

You pick. :grinning:

13 Likes

I bet with 2 power suppliesā€¦and the new NAP250 it will probably be superiorā€¦

2 Likes

Thereā€™s already folks on FB asking if it beats a NDX2/555/552/300. People need to keep some perspective.

3 Likes

Itā€™s the end of one era, and the beginning of a new dawn for both naim us. We walk forwards to the future with with mixed admiration and hope. May naim bless us all. :pray:

3 Likes

Iā€™m glad about the move away from
DIN as it makes Naim compatible with other hi fi like Linn and Chord for example

3 Likes

It will be interesting to see how these three boxes compare with the NDX2 / NAC 282 / HiCap / NAP 250. Similar price point, with less boxes but I wonder where the will sit in respect of SQ.

3 Likes

I dont think it has 2 power supplies used in parallel

It may well sound quite better than a 250dr but in the naim world itā€™s all about the preamp and source first

However the statement derived volume pot on the new 222 should sound very good indeed

1 Like

Julian once said that Cannon XLRs could be as good as DINs and itā€™s not as though itā€™s the first time they have been used by Naim (in fact have been used extensively by Naim since their beginning) - as Naim have shifted here to a balanced connection between pre and power (like the Statement), XLRs are the only option.

Otherwise itā€™s a mix of DINs and RCA Phono for source inputs, which is as before. Only possible point of contention here is the use of RCA phonos for the single ended pre/sub out. I think that this was done for more commercial reasons. I would guess Naim would hope most would be using the balanced out and the choice of RCAs for the single ended would be the best choice for subwoofer use etcā€¦

4 Likes

Iā€™ve only listened to this combo briefly on a trip down to the factory back in September, so havenā€™t done any serious listening comparisons. What I can say is that it was sounding very good indeed and so if youā€™re interested you should phone your dealer who should be able to arrange a demo very soon.

4 Likes

Hehe yeah. But I am sure then building two extra connectors in serves a purpose. Iā€™ll see later if I can find the post I am referring to.

:rofl:

1 Like

Ok, so no Line-Out at all then?

True but I think the statement S1 has a Din preamp output ?

Anyway I am happy with the move to XLR between preamp and power amp

Some audiophile like to mix and match and Iā€™m one of them.

Thereā€™s a lot of good third party XLR cables in the market

1 Like

I wonder if itā€™s for SQ reasons too. Optical to AV kit avoids a lot of issues, even if it does mean a compromise on some functionality.

Congratulations to Naim for new series, as nDAC + SN owner, if I plan to migrate to new platform, some questions about new and old equipments connection:

1. Can NPX 300 be used on nDAC? (Naim is testing on it according to this thread)
  2. Can NSC 222 connect SNā€™s power amplifier or old Naim power amplifier by RCA to 4 Pin DIN cable?

Agreed. If Naim are simplifying to 200, 300 and 500 series, for example, perhaps the 300 series is where there are full separates and consolidating to one pre-amp in the 300-series? If so, will be interesting to hear where that lands relative to current 282/252. Maybe a 352, or maybe 332 to avoid any confusion with 500-series, maintain 300-series focus and not draw any lineage to the old classic e.g. distinct from being a third-gen. 52. Also, Iā€™m curious to see what happens to the current 300-DR when the 300 series is fully released.

2 Likes

Burndy guy here.

Is this correct?

• There is no burndy included in any of the newly launched New Classic boxes.

• The new classics will require a new 2 to 1 burndy to work with Legacy Classic boxes such as 555PSDR/XPSDR in order to work with 222. You cannot connect SXPS from 555PSDR into 222 (cannot, must not?)

• If using the new 300 PS with 222 you need what kind of Burndy? One analogue and one digital total 2pcs or is it a 2-1-2 burndy?

And what is the cost of those new burndyā€™s in GBP/EUR/USD?
Pictures?

3 Likes

Not that I can see, unless one of the pre-outs can be configured as a line out - @110dB?

My guess is that this power supply is optional for the 200 series, but will be mandatory to use any product of the 300 series. Thus the namingā€¦

2 Likes

Does this mean Naim will move away from separate pre/power combos I.e. 282 + power or 252 + power?