The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Always thought the X meant “external” as CDX replaced CD2 and accepted an external PSU.

2 Likes

Soft-start is not technically the 0.5W standby. Soft-start powers up the huge toroidal transformers gently. This prevents ‘lights dimming’ when amps turn-on and the fatiguing of mains fuses. The soft-start circuit is then by-passed when the transformer core is magnetised. All less than a second.

Music sensing - this turns systems off to save power. Can be defeated.

(Star earthing has moved by moving and adding extra regulation - where the signal leaves can then move). This simple change took about 1 year of and on research. This move is to make upgrading easier. This will become more apparent over the years.

6 Likes

I can’t remember how the olive to classic transition went, but this change has left me confused and I don’t know where it’s left me. Wouldn’t it be better to just change the whole range in one go? I don’t even know what’s compatible with what, what’s being left for how long and what’s coming. Surely this is not good for sales?

6 Likes

@110dB, thank you much for your answer. It is great to finally get this from the horse’s mouth, so speak. Gonna keep this for reference!

I then have one more question, if I may. Currently I have an Atom HE attached to the previous gen NAP 250DR. Does the 222 need the new 250 magic or will it shine on the unbalanced DR as well? And do you need the NPX 300 to make a large difference or is that an extra step on an already large upgrade?

I’m an avid headphone listener and just got a brand new 250 DR a few months ago so considering the future upgrade path in light of the new system release.

1 Like

The old streamer/preamps (172, 272) were NAC-N to distinguish them from the regular analogue NAC. N as in Network, as in NDX. Not that it really matters now that it’s all ancient history!

1 Like

NAC N 272 has digital output, SPDIF which can be used to feed an external DAC.
Very useful it was too!

1 Like

What does the is mean exactly? Surely the new 250NC is backwards compatible with the 202/282/252 etc? Just new cables needed and light dimming feature not available??

1 Like

Yes, that is what I have understood.

@Richard.Dane , @110dB - ?

Richard, I think you posted elsewhere you were looking to use David’s skills again on your LP12.
When he called yesterday evening, he was already running their demo unit, very favourable first impressions, I ordered unseen a while back. Your vinyl replay is in good hands, as I know well.
Streaming…it’s different!

1 Like

@110dB Is Naim able to clarify this? All the previous Classic 115v items worked in 100v regions and stated so in the specs. The new ones seem to omit that.

Yes, that’s what I understand as well, although it will require use of a particular Naim cable variant.

1 Like

A question I haven’t yet seen come up (although the growth of this thread has been unprecedented I would suggest, so I might have missed it) is whether either or both of the USB ports on the NSC 222 would support a ripped library HDD or SDD input?
Apologies if this has already been asked and answered…

I read a similar comment earlier - SH per chance?
Great work and I amongst many, think this is a great addition to the Naim range.
Well done to you, @Stevesky all at Naim.

Two brief questions. A question regarding an alternate voltage was posed, but haven’t see a response.

Early days, so the website doesn’t list box content, unless I missed it.
Would you be able to summarise what each box contains (at least for UK), by way of leads / ics please?

1 Like

I think it may have to do with regulations in the U.S. I was listening to a podcast with Jason Stoddard of Schiit Audio and he was discussing the “made in/designed in” issues mentioned.

yes it’s written somowhere in the thread: 282,252,hicap and supercap being discontinued

1 Like

Thank you.
It would be great if the “soft-start” could be retrofitted to current power-amps. I leave my NAP300 powered 24/7 because it is just too much trouble resetting the house circuit breaker that trips whenever I switch it on.

4 Likes

All of the current streamers can do this, so I can’t imagine this option would be lost on a new product that runs the same streaming board.

1 Like

Although there’s also mention from 110dB that Naim are considering keeping the old power supplies available to order for a while longer so customers can complete Classic systems.

2 Likes

It uses the Naim ND800 streaming engine so should be able to support attached USB storage.

1 Like

Nope don’t think so. If you look at the legacy cable chart there are no cables that fit to the 252/282. I’ve either got this wrong (possible!) or its not been picked up in the chat…maybe @Richard.Dane can advise…