The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Hi all, does the NCS 222 have the AV bypass function like my Supernait 2.

Hi Steve

How much of a difference in SQ is there between a 250DR (with a SL interconnect) and a new Classic 250 with the supplied lead

Also is the eddy current part that is new on the new classic 250, something that can be retrofitted to an older 250DR during servicing?

how does the new classic 250 compare to a 300DR? From what I know about Naim, the 300DR will still sound better ?

The ā€œproblemā€ is that speaker design over the past decades has moved further and further to requiring more and more current ā€“ even ā€œsmallā€ speakers.

Itā€™s not about how loud we want or need our music. Itā€™s about the ā€œefficiencyā€ of the speakers. And itā€™s about whether one choses to provide enough current to let the speakers work as intended, even at quite moderate listening levels.

5 Likes

Or a pair of CB135s in olive livery (mine are serial numbers from 1984 and were put in olive sleeves at the factory before I bought them in 1989 or ā€˜90).

1 Like

A good glass blower and 3m adhesiveā€¦ā€¦all will be finešŸ˜‚

2 Likes

No, itā€™s not a strategy mess, it is a move towards the statement XLR connectors, which is the way forward. It is good Naim is now using the connectors that for example, Linn and Chord electronics are using themselves to ensure more compatibility.

1 Like

Yes, I can see where the 300 series is the full-separates series. Naim are a performance company, so I can only expect that, if any rumors of 282/252 demise are true, that any replacement into a single NAC in the series would have to perform at at least a current 252 level? Or, are there multiple NACs? :slight_smile:

Iā€™m leaning toward a single NAC in 300-series to keep things simple: 200 series with combo capabilities e.g. NSC-222, step up to full separates with 300-series, and can use NPX-300 as stepping stone, and then 500-series for ultimate in [new|legacy] Classic range. A revision of the 500-series would also be interesting e.g. using similar approach to single PS (NPR-500?!) and using that as stepping stone to get to new 500-series components.

In addition to any ā€œnewā€ NAP-300, Iā€™m wondering then about the performance of the current NPX-300: if we assume, again, that Naimā€™s performance priority is to not take a retrograde step and that this new PS will be ā€œthe one PS to rule them allā€, then is the performance level of the NPX-300 at least comparable (or exceeds) current SuperCap? I would imagine it would have to be so, if this range is to replace the current 252/SuperCap ultimately.

But, I expect application of NPX-300 will be limited to new NACs/Streamers/NVS only and not applied to older Classic range? TBD.

2 Likes

Mine was returned to Planet Salisbury, to be re-clothed - in my ownership.
(I did buy it new - for Ā£822-25, back in Decā€™85.)

3 Likes

Attached possibly to the knob @Mike_S has been playing with further up this thread? :joy:

2 Likes

Indirectly, in that the signal cable comes from the power supply for the NAC e.g. HiCap or SuperCap. The Signals doc indicates there are legacy cables available for SuperCap and HiCap to new NAP 250. See here and the link to the cable info: Signals New Classic page. (Hope this link is ok?)

2 Likes

A day and half in, itā€™s going to come as something of a relief when forum members are able to write about what the 200 range sounds like :wink:

5 Likes

Kudos to Naim and Steve @110dB for being on the forum since the launch including late yesterday evening - :ok_hand: nice touch. Hope you donā€™t get inundated now that youā€™ve ā€˜come outā€™!

16 Likes

One way to find out ā€¦ book a demo.

2 Likes

Yes, the NSC 222 has an AV bypass feature. (all analogue inputs)

Easy to set in the app. Also easy to change the names of inputs, turn off unused inputs and set sensitivity.

3 Likes

Have faith they will come Iā€™m sure :joy:

@Stevesky - off topic but picking up on your comments re updates even for Gen 1 streamers; the one I would really like is to be able to use a Core to act as a bridge (BubbleUPnP server style) to enable current and future services eg Qobuz for legacy streamers but within the Naim ecosystem and App. For those of us with multiple Gen 1 devices replacing them all is not affordable but a single ā€˜enhancedā€™ Core would be.

2 Likes

I love you!!! :laughing:

1 Like

Iā€™ve been a fan of the 250 since I first heard one while working for Cambridge Audio in 1988!

Itā€™s been a privilege to work on the DR version and helped on the new one along with our super talented R&D team.

All sound great. The full regulation on the power amp (this is unusual unless an amp is very expensive) makes the bass tight, powerful and timed. The DR PSU inside uses 40% of the power, yet sounds more powerful for itā€¦i.e. if the DR PSU was removed it would be a 140W amplifier.

The latest 250 is the best of all. Iā€™d be happy with any.

New 250 vs 300DR, well, I like the 250, some like the 300. Iā€™m personally very pleased with the zero feedback, single ended, class A, balanced input stage. + a complete rework of the power stages.

The eddy current split is a small upgrade (previously only on Statement). I donā€™t think it is something we could do very tidily as a retrofit. Interesting thought though!

38 Likes

@110dB - And the ā€˜correctā€™ power (0.1%) into 4ohms isā€¦?

@110dB Thank you.