The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

I was thinking the first row looks way too close. I suspect the sofas are hauled out easily.

Thanks Jonathan. The ones I heard definitely werenā€™t Sopras but from the EVO line.

(nice picture of the dem room, btw)

Aha! I reckon they only bring out the best stuff when you come aroundā€¦ :smile: -)

Itā€™s a great room! I particularly liked the sound treatment and really need to address that in my room.

I see Focal launched a new range , Vestia , at CES, itā€™s near their entry level, Ā£800 for the bookshelf speakers, 4 floorstanders from Ā£1,800 to Ā£2,600.
No active speakers, which like you I do expect to see, especially as the (first?) NSC is now launched. Maybe that launchā€™ll coincide with the probable 300 series launch, would active speakers be under a new FPBN name?
More on topic, Iā€™ve seen positive feedback on the New Classic launch at CES. Naim's all-new trio at CES 2023 makes me want to rediscover classic hi-fi setups | TechRadar

Hi Lazyscott,
Best to keep the signal large out of the 222 but not too big it will clip. If the level is too low additional noise is added.

i.e. set the volume on the 222 to approx unity gain, this is around volume 60 depending upon the max volume setting in the app.

1 Like

That makes 150% :slight_smile:

I thought that, then noticed Robert hadnā€™t used a % sign. :grinning:

1 Like

OK, 150 staff, I see - apols.

Iā€™m also coming around to the casing design the more photos I see and Iā€™m sure a dealer visit will confirm. There appears to be every suggestion that there is a lot more to come and It seems to me an odd approach to launching a whole new range by doing so in stages - We donā€™t know what the full range of options are yet so looks like Iā€™m going to have to wait before laying down my hard earned.

1 Like

Speaker cable has two long parallel conductors. They can carry large current pulses with bass notes.

Any current flowing in a conductor gives a magnetic field.

i.e. there will be a magnetic field around the +ve conductor and a magnetic field around the -ve conductor.

These two magnetic fields will oppose each other forcing the two conductors apart.

Note: the cables will force apart when the ā€˜bass unit coneā€™ moves out and force apart when the ā€˜bass unit coneā€™ moves in.

The conductors moving apart changes the cable properties dynamically with the music (inductance and capacitance).

While the ā€˜transfer characteristicā€™ is only minutely changed and only effects supersonic frequencies it does change the perceived audio quality. This is because the amplifier must behave well in the MHz region for the feedback stability.

NACA5 has a stiff webbing between the conductors for mechanical stability. i.e. less effected by the magnetic fields

14 Likes

All analogue inputs on the NSC 222 are pure analogue all the way through.

5 Likes

The literature around New Classic does try and emphasise both that form follows function at Naim, and some details about the new case designs. Sounds like the case redesign isnā€™t a trivial part of the new series.

The front panels are 20mm aluminium, I bet in the flesh they are substantial boxes! Be interesting to understand how case design and electronic environment improvements have affected performance and reliability.

Sorry, no.

NPX 300 has:
Analogue 1 = +/-22V
Analogue 2 = +/-22V
Accessory = +5V
Digital 1 = +15V
Digital 2 = +15V
Digital 3 = +10V
Digital 4 = +10V
ErP = 5V for 0.5W standby

SNAXO likes +24V
It would work fine on +22V (the class A analogue circuits are tolerant) but we have to offer genuine VFM

6 Likes

Great info Steve - thanks :+1:

1 Like

Interesting reading about the decisions behind making naca5 stiff. Something naim went away from with Super Lumina though :thinking:

3 Likes

But are they really a product from Naim/Focal, or one created by the forum hive-mind?

Roger

1 Like

Is the signal into the non phono analog input available for multi room? I would assume no but I sometimes multitoom vinyl so curious if that is still available.

Its pretty clear, I think. That the NPX300 is more like an XPS than a Supercap.

The NPX300 seems to be able to power most things than an XPS (or a 555PS) canā€¦ :thinking:

Thanks a lot for the information, thatā€™s good to know. I do think itā€™s a great service to have technical people on hand to answer questions about the new products. Well done Naim.

1 Like

@PeakMan That is a very good point actually, but there is logic in Naim & Focal going down that cooperative route, especially with the potential advances in DSP and room optimisation etc. R&D from both companies could potentially result in something specialā€¦ or a dogs dinner.

@Eoink Missed that news - all attention here on the Naim launch!