The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Yes, in Sweden.

1 Like

I think you are right about ā€the best is yet to comeā€. Itā€™ is still interesting to hear peoples opinions about the sq from the new compared to the old, almost equal prices. Sort of imagining you had a certainly amount and was thinking about how to best allocate them on your hifi. Given you have speakers youā€™d leave well alone.

1 Like

Iā€™m in no hurry to change things, I also had a slightly misleading demo of the 200 Series given the speakers the kit was driving were Ā£70K Dali Kore.
They did a very good job, I do wonder on hindsight how much of the new NAP 250 design is accomodating potential shortcomings in the overall design of the 222.
Iā€™m revisiting the listening soon with more realistic setups, dealers in general tend to lean on the extravagant in demos, like adding Ā£4k Ethernet cables or using Ā£70k speakers, say no more.

8 Likes

Having seen the new cases in the flesh or is it metalwork, I think they look fabulous.

Sadly I havenā€™t heard them yet as the courier has managed to mislay the 250, so my dealer has two glorious boxes on display and no power amp to play them through. I am unsure who is more frustrated my dealer or customers like me who are chomping at the bit to hear them, no doubt Naim is a bit peeved too. Shame the courier couldnā€™t have mislaid the NPX300 rather than the 250, then at least there would have been a playable system.

1 Like

I have deleted both of my Posts.

Others can do as they wishā€¦

Iā€™ve read the entire thread but my memory isnā€™t great.

Does the 222 work with a 555DR?

Iā€™m assuming not.

Iā€™m not in the market for a 222 but a new 300 streamer may be of interest so wondering if Iā€™d be looking at a new PS too

1 Like

So if you are mainly a Headphone based user (as I am), with a stonking Solid State or Tube amp linked to the HE, is the NSC222 going to provide enough of a SQ increase to justify the investment?

As Garcon says above: ā€œhowever if a 300 dedicated streamer/DAC which is clearly better than the NDX2 is coming soon, it would be something very interesting and attractive to me to replace the Atom HE.ā€

Is that a better route and thatā€™s before we get to contemplating Naim augmenting their Headphone offering over and above the HE/NCS222ā€¦

That looks cool

1 Like

Believe yes with a new cable

1. Lead Assembly, Burndy, 555PS to New Classic, Digital - 19 Way Single to 23 Way Burndy Cable 00-010-0242
    Lead Assembly, Burndy, 555PS to New Classic, Analogue - 19 Way Single to 12 Way Burndy Cable 00-010-0243
    Price: $599.00 ā‚¬599.00 Ā£529.00
3 Likes

Thanks itā€™ll be interesting to hear 300 vs. 555DR comparison on the 222.

1 Like

User manual for 222.

1 Like

This is something only a demo will answer. Above Steve said that the 222 is quite the step up over the Atom HE by itself. Only your ears will be able to convince your wallet :smile:

As Steve from Naim suggested, the NSC222 should have some sonic advantage over the Atom HE as a headphone amp - if and how much at the cost, not sure but looks like an easy audition if you have access to a dealer with a display unit and bring your headphones with you? I listen to headphones less but do appreciate the great option with the Atom HE.

1 Like

I wonder how long it will be before a new classic 200 series pre amp and power supply comes out. It is of interest to me personally as I currently have a 282 with Hicap DR and was thinking about trading the HiCap-DR for a SuperCap-DR or perhaps wait for new smilar versions. Just unsure if they are a few months away or few years for the new.
Not seen the new models in the flesh yet but think they look great from everything i have seen on the web and will look good matching the old classic line in my opinion.

I also donā€™t think I the 222 should be taken as a headphones specific solution. It offers less different inputs, cannot run two headphone simultaneously and is a lot more than a headphone amplifier.

If not purchased to also front an amplifier and speakers of similar quality it will have to be a ginormous step up over the HE to merit the price difference being more than double the price.

2 Likes

Go on Steveā€¦you can tell usā€¦we wonā€™t say a thingā€¦.promise.

6 Likes

You already got them??!! What dark magic is this??!!

1 Like

Praise indeed!

Have you taken the plunge already and replaced CDS3/252/300?

Great stuff enjoy!

1 Like

Itā€™s a Naim switch. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes