The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

I’ll join you

Being a Kiwi you could probably teach me :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I’ve written a book on it , about to be released

Not only will it be a best seller it will pay for all this new naim gear coming out :smiley::smiley::smiley:

1 Like

I’ll steal a copy

1 Like

Got me there, quicker than me :+1:

I also auditioned the new gear today at my dealer, also in three box form. It was sitting exactly where the former 282/250DR/HiCap DR was, with the same speakers, Sopra 2 - a set up I have listened to a lot in the last couple of years.

My findings are exactly the same as @bitsrbits The new gear was good, but to my ears not on the same level as what it replaced in the shop. The bass, while good, was not as textured nor did it have as much detail. The mid range also suffered in comparison and the soundstaging was not as good.

I expect the 300 level equipment will be very good, but at what cost?

I walked out with the ex-demo 282/250DR/HiCap DR. I am ridiculously happy.

38 Likes

Pretty amazing a 282/HicapDR/250DR could sound better since there’s no source🥁

Jokes aside… I think it will be hard for the 222 to match an NDX2 into a good preamp. Especially with it’s own power supply.

From my brief listening to the 222/300/NC250, it was quite a bit better than the 272/XPS/250DR.

However, the NC250 is absolutely stunning with my 252/SupercapDR.

4 Likes

Ha! I had heard it both with ND5 XS2 and with NDX2, with and without a power supply. Even with ND5 XS the old kit was better.

I am sure the new 250 is great with your 252/Supercap. Enjoy!

2 Likes

Rather curious why you would go NC 250 instead of the natural partner 300DR? While it seems the new 250 is a step above the 250DR, it seems more like a sideways move to me? I would have thought 300DR or it’s eventual replacement would be the more logical move?

As others have said, once you get above 250 level the fan is standard and, unless your listening room is very hot to begin with, it will only turn on when the music is loud, and so is unlikely to be intrusive.

I have a 250DR and am interested in upgrading to a used 300DR. My working assumption is that the new 250 is likely to be better than the current 250, but not likely to seriously challenge the 300. But as one of my annoyances about the 250 has always been that it (very occasionally) shuts down at high volumes, the addition of a fan to Naim’s latest and greatest single box power amp gives me pause.

1 Like

#4 will likely not be used

Having owned and heard so many Naim components over the years, I expect the new series to be an evolution of what Naim started doing with the nDAC first and then with the DAC-V1, the new Uniti and the mot recent components of the old Classic series. Greater speed, different (in many cases better) interpretation of the sound message, more fidelity on different frequencies and musical instruments, more separation, more controlled bass.

On the other hand, however, this new course has slightly changed the typical Naim character that was present in the previous series: that is, a less refined but very pleasant sound, some distortions and noise that made it unique in its kind, less controlled bass but never completely free or rude more powerful presence.

In my personal opinion, the new productions boast a more “correct” timbre than the previous ones, but at the cost of losing (but not entirely, and Naim has done a great job here) that sound signature that has characterized Naim for so many years and which perhaps came from JV’s (and his colleagues at that time) taste/ears/compromise and the need to make the speakers available at that time play.

Of course it is always a matter (or a compromise) of taste and fidelity.
My 2cent!

3 Likes

had the same conversation with my dealer yesterday, I used a car comparsion get into a car from the same year as 272 and one today the tech increase is huge so I would expect the same with 272 vs NC222

1 Like

My choice to go for NC250 over 300DR was simple. Box count. Am limited in space and cannot fit in yet another power supply. Sadly, the only drawback with Naim for me.

5 Likes

Yesterday had the opportunity to compare the 222/250 vs SN3/NDX2 with Dynaudio Confidence 20 speakers supported by Audioquest Niagara 5000 and Audioquest William Tell speaker cables.

Both setups sounded great. Both system showed great rhythm and pace.
The new classic revealed more details and a bit more punch, while the SN3/NDX2 showed a wider soundstage with more integration between the instruments. The new classic sounded a bit more analytical versus a bit more relaxed (and forgiving) on SN3/NDX. Played a variety of music styles and recordings (Roger Waters/Luis Armstrong/Pollini/Diana Krall/Miles Davis).

Comparing the new classic to my current Linn setup I would position it sound (signature) wise in the middle. Liked both systems, but decided to go for SN3/NDX2 which suits my preferences best.

25 Likes

Thanks winkelmr , greatly appreciated

1 Like

Does the 222 had the NPX300 power supply? And since how many days it was running?

Don’t think so Akron by the looks of it

But neither does the SN3/NDX2 have the XPSDR PS

So apples with apples as best can

4 Likes

Thanks, I’m expecting the NDX2 to be a superior device than a all-in-one solution like NSC222. Also NDX and SN3 means two separate power supplies for pre-amplification and streaming board. It would be interesting to compare SN3/NDX2 with NSC222 powered by the NPX300, I think the differences will more subtle.

I’m not sure that is the comparison. Most on here will already own the multibox and not be buying from having empty shelves to stack something on. I can’t see me ( or my dealer) doing a straight swap of existing boxes for the nc ones.

1 Like