The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

No, the Olive NAP250 can’t be DRed.

There is nothing that appears to be in the new classic that stops Humming when the device is fully powered up, and the mains supply suffers from High Voltage or DC Offset. But it should stop humming when in standby mode as power is not then going through the toroidal transformer.

This all depends on how clean the mains is that it is connected to.

Sorry I’m not convinced of that - why doesn’t the power supply make a noise given it has a larger toroidal transformer?
I think this is the risk you run with Naim gear.
I’m not delighted about it don’t get me wrong and it shouldn’t be the case but had it with my last amp and although I returned it to Salisbury it was never eliminated.
That said you are right I will look at getting dedicated mains though.
Best.

1 Like

Yes. I was moderator

Perhaps have a read of the new FAQ entry

That seems to be a very hard thing indeed. I usually send back stuff because it’s too complex. I tell developers that I’m not so smart and therefore need easy understandable variable names.

Fair enough but I have literally tested this. Hairdryer somewhere else in the house on the same power bank = hum. No hairdryer = no hum.

Yes. My hicap is more silent after we got a new fridge. When one switches in an electric heater, it’s immediately audible.

1 Like

Is it, though? One of the Oxford dictionaries defines classic as “accepted or deserving to be accepted as one of the best or most important of its kind”. I don’t see this contradicts the new designation and I imagine Naim think it describes the new boxes rather well.

Roger

I haven’t had any humming from any of my black boxes that I can recall. I recall some of the olive boxes exhibiting a slight hum but none with my current kit, all on a dedicated line.

1 Like

My SN3 and hicap dr both hum. The SN3 is audible at 6m in a quiet room.
As much as I love Naim equipment the humming business is the one thing that would stop me purchasing further products. I’m glad I’m not the only one on the forum who finds it intensely irritating.

5 Likes

SN3 owner here and no hum until ear nearly against the rack in a silent room. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

I’m very jealous! I guess it’s luck of the draw….

Another SN3 owner with no hum whatsoever. My 5si did hum at the time so I do recall the hum.

2 Likes

When I had my SN3 it had an audible hum from around 2m. I sent it back to Naim and it came back virtually silent. Might want to send it back so they can take a look, as 6m is not within spec.

2 Likes

It’s booked in for next month at Salisbury so I’m hopeful that it will be improved. I’m not after library silence - just not obviously audible on the other side of the room!
It’s a fab amp so I really don’t want to part company with it.

4 Likes

My SN3 has a bad hum on the LH channel when the phono input is selected; this is whether anything is connected to the input, and switches side if I swap the speaker cables over. It is currently with Naim to resolve - and I am reliably informed that they can (& will) sort it.

3 Likes

But what has the “new classic” done to be so accepted or deserving? They could yet be totally unreliable and sound shocking once burnt in.

Classic I believe infers an amount of time passing in order for acceptance of its status to be called classic.

So yes, IMHO new classic is any oxymoron.

.sjb

3 Likes

I find hum very irritating too. I had a Atom HE which hum really loud. I bought a new NDX 2 instead which was a real boost. Now I have a NDX 2, XPS DR and a Nova. They are completely silent. It seems like a lottery if the units hum or are silent.

3 Likes