The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Question for those who, like me, own the NSC 222: when you set the Standby setting to Never from the Naim mobile app, does the display of your NSC 222 always remain on even when the preamplifier is not playing music and is in mute mode? Thank you!

Depending on your preference, that’s either high praise or the most damning comment ever.

3 Likes

Or both? :smiley:

1 Like

No - goes off on mine. Have you got turn off during playback selected under Display option?

The quality of naturalness, for want of a better term, in audio gear is my highest praise.

2 Likes

Dear Naim Forum Members,

It is my gut feeling that they are passing off old stock ICs and bits as new. The Emporer without clothes.

There is no mention of the NA009 power transistors or 2-ohm loads that we know the NAP 250 can do. Gone are the improvements of cross-over distortion which was a sales and audiophile sweet point.

I think this is only a way of offloading unwanted components due to the lack of modern available components for a sweet system for new ears.

I am still backing the DR series amplifiers and NA009 transistors.

Having commented thus with my technician eyes and not ears or unfilled pockets with cash. I am still a NAIT XS2 man dreaming of an SN3 one day that will not happen.

I think this system is a wolf in sheep’s clothing that will appeal to many new NAIM users, though those who know the technology, and I hope there are many that will not be enticed.

I would advise keeping your money in your pockets and bank accounts as there is more to surely follow.

It looks like a backward step, smartly marketed.

Warm regards,

Mitch.

2 Likes

Have you actually listened to these products, i suspect not?

4 Likes

You sure about that…

8 Likes

James, you are letting the facts get in the way of a good story😂

7 Likes

Sorry about that. Carry on…:grinning:

2 Likes

Hi @davidwilliams ,

Thanks. No, the option is set to be on during playback. Yours?

As stated I have not listened, I am only going by the provided specifications and reading into what is missing. I did say my gut feeling. I will dig deeper to see if I am in error.

Mitch.

1 Like

I looked at the webpage for the NAP 250 and it apparently does have a DR circuit though I do not see any mention of the NA009 power transistors. If it is mentioned are they incorporated in the power regulation or the output power stage? They do mention an A/B power amplifier stage which in my books does not equate with the design of the NA009 transistor output. Though I am happy to be corrected. I have been correct on other amplifiers only to see them disappear from the NAIM catalog.

Not wishing to flame.

I have seen many companies having cutbacks even in the size of their chocolate bars and biscuits. It is across the board to make items more appealing and affordable in these times.

My two bobs worth.

Please do not be offended.

Warm regards,

Mitch. 45 years in the manufacturing industry.

1 Like

Mitch, I recommend you read the many posts on this thread from Naim’s Technical Director of Electronics, Steve Sells @110dB .

It should quickly disabuse you of your ideas here about the new NAP250.

9 Likes

well that’s quite interesting, I do like the obvious Naim signature sound, so if the new kit does not have this, this might reduce my curiosity and FOMO

However I do trust Naim, the new 250 NC will be quite a bit better than my 250DR

the issue though it that my 250 DR hardly sounds lacking to me in any way.

my long term goal is to buy a 552 preamp anyway

4 Likes

I am Confused, please supply a link. I still do not see the mention of NA009 transistors. It does mention Class A/B thus crossover distortion. Have we gone backward or reinvented the past to make it more palatable for the current economic times?

Warm regards,

Mitch.

1 Like

Dear Richard,

Why is it advertised as a NAP 250 and not a NAP 250 DR. There is a reason for this statement.

To me, something is missing from the puzzle no matter how well they sell it.

Warm regards,

Mitch.

1 Like

Good morning everyone!

Here’s some fun fact checks:

Old stock ICs
The new classic NAP 250 uses a full discrete transistor signal path, with no ICs.

No NA009 power transistors
The new classic NAP 250 uses NA009 power transistors for both the DR regulators and amplifier output stages. They are mounted on ceramic insulators to minimise circuit to chassis stray capacitance.

2-ohm loads
The new NAP 250 will drive through speaker impedance dips. It has been tested into 8, 4, 2, 1 and 0.5 ohms. Peak power into 1 ohm is 780W. I find this is especially critical for loud piano passages to play without fatigue.

NA009 power transistors
Eight of our custom power transistors developed for the Statement NAP S1 are in the new classic NAP 250. Interesting fact: During dev all ferrous materials were removed from the transistors. This effect can be heard not only in the listening room but also during high pulse power on the lab bench; the first prototype NA009 legs could be heard vibrating the PCB. Each NA009 is serial numbered and characterised.

DR regs
The new classic NAP 250 has more DR regulators than the NAP250DR. The DR regulators provide a low noise, low impedance voltage for the full amplifier including its output stage. There are more DR regs for the small signal balanced input circuits. Having another four DRs prevents cross modulation of the power amp section back to the balanced input.

Off loading unwanted components
New classic is manufactured using new components. The prices are very high at the moment due to lead times and availability. The components are in demand and often on allocation.

Best
Steve

33 Likes

Ironically it was to avoid confusion between the models.

The new classic 250 has 2x as many DRs as the NAP250DR

Best
Steve

14 Likes

Hi @Gigantor ,

Here’s a link:
https://www.naimaudio.com/product/nap-250-2023

If you scroll down to the section ‘Best of Naim’ it mentions there are DR regs

Cheers
Steve

(PS I work in R&D and developed NAP S1 and the NA009 power transistors. Roy and myself developed the DR regulators - there is a DR white paper on line. I can assure you all these elements are meticulously designed into the new classic NAP 250)

11 Likes