The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

I think maybe your dealer is having a lend here . Naim have made it very clear they can be manufactured to order for sometime yet

Also plenty come up second hand so good bargains to be had there I would think

4 Likes

I would certainly reach out to Naim in the UK directly for clarity. Weā€™re all advising you that supply is guaranteed and assured for legacy ā€œOld Classicā€ products and that is certainly what has been indicated here on the forum at least from Naim employees, however you are based in Portugal and the situation there may not be so clear.
Thankfully there is a good supply of products like the HiCap DR in the ex-demo and used market as another option as others have referred to already.

Hello @djh1697. Your profile says that you have a March DAC. What is that? Canā€™t find anything onā€™t 'net :slight_smile:

I recently picked up two HiCaps (Non DR) on the well known auction site for under Ā£600 each.

One was serviced in 2021. The other was not, but a full service with Class A Audio was done for Ā£199.

So both were good value in the end.

There a large number of HiCaps on the auction site at good prices, so itā€™s picking one suitable for your requirements.

Have fun upgrading and enjoy the music.

DGā€¦

4 Likes

Hi @sktn77a,

The NVC TT will not be able to be powered from the previous range.
When announced there will be a solution to be able to use NVC TT with the previous range.

2 Likes

The work around of buying something second hand on an auction site is, well a workaround for poor performance and clarity from Naim through their authorised Portuguese agent. If someone wants to buy a new hicap dr to go with their recently bought new sn then Naim should be making it happen.

1 Like

It sounds very much like a case of poor communication between the distributor and the dealer on this occasion, worrying though that @sonwleo has to rely on the Naim Forum and other owners for reassurance.
Perhaps itā€™s something that @Richard.Dane or @110dB can give guidance on at least to help reassure @sonwleo that there is no issue in the short to mid term of manufacture, distribution and supply of Old Classic power supplies, in particular for purchase in Portugal.

Would have liked to have heard that as I run the Russel K Red 120. Not sure what acoustica will have for me in Wednesday.

1 Like

Yes, it is of course easier for a businessman to become filthy rich in countries like these, where there are neither human rights nor trade unions. The employees are forced to work extremely long working hours with wages that have to be described as pure slave wages, and child labor is commonā€¦

1 Like

Reassuringly Naim do at least manufacture in the UK, I can certainly put myself quite easily in to the ā€œnever likely to own anything Statementā€ bucket.

4 Likes

Iā€™m not at HQ so donā€™t know what the current situation is with regard to the older range. I donā€™t know about any ā€œguaranteesā€ but I do recall Steve mentioning earlier in the thread that there was going to be a discussion at HQ with sales and production re. an extension to the building of older PSUs so owners can complete existing systems - annoyingly I canā€™t seem to find the post ATM, the thread is so long now!

2 Likes

I think?

5 Likes

Thatā€™s the one. Thanks gthack.

4 Likes

For those questioning the lack of DSD support, it is worth noting that many of the chips used by Naim (except those in the nDAC, NDS and ND555) actually do support DSD 2.8Mhz. The 1791A is no exception. However, the feature is not used for good reason.

Naim have always employed DSP to get the most out of the DAC performance by tuning this for the idiosyncrasies of the chip and the output stage. Itā€™s the knowledge of the behaviour of these units that really allows them to get performance well beyond the expectations of otherwise modest chips. However, pre conversion DSP cannot be done on DSD. Itā€™s all in the PCM domain. So I suspect, using the DSD mode on these chips (and even the original NDX used a chip that supported DSD) would circumvent a core part of what makes Naimā€™s digital sources sound so good.

2 Likes

In actionā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.

46 Likes

Thatā€™s looking really rather good!

1 Like

ā€¦ā€¦and the journey, to run in, beginsā€¦ā€¦ā€¦

4 Likes

It looks very good on Fraim indeed.

2 Likes

Nucleus blends very well too.
Hope itā€™s delivering more in SQ terms than what went before.
Enjoy.

1 Like

@110dB Not sure I understand. ā€œWhen announced there will be a solution to be able to use NVC TT with the previous range.ā€
Does this mean it will be possible to use the NVC TT with the old classic gear?