The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

At least a few are reading the following description of the NPX300 from Naim themselves, and speculating:

Reach a higher level of musical performance with the NPX 300 power supply for the 200 Series sources and preamplifiers, including the NSC 222 streaming preamplifier.

Re: the shoebox size, it reminds me of a scenario I might face were I to come back to Naim, as I have a home cinema system to incorporate - how to amp the very important centre channel? I wonder if there will ever be a monoblock version in this range (which could potentially be shoebox sized, although judging by the generous - and I’m sure necessary - size of transformer Naim use, maybe not!)

1 Like

I suspect it’s a typo and that 200 should be 300.

I’m not sure if I hope you’re right or wrong about that :smiley:

Possibly both.

I’ve sent a screen shot of the web page to Naim. It would seem logical that it’s a typo - powers the 300 series and the 222. But who knows?

2 Likes

I thought it would be both the 200 and 300 series including the NSC222. Maximum interoperability/flexibility of new external power supply for this level. Will wait to see what boxes actually appear.

I know it’s not ‘New Classic’ related (much like my earlier speaker cable length post) but I’m hoping for an updated NAP 100 sized power amplifier to upgrade the Atom.

Same footprint as an Atom, same brushed black anodised finish, double the watts (so a very different NAP 160…)

It would provide a more financially and domestically acceptable upgrade - and stop me thinking about a Nova… or a ND5 XS2/SN3 combination.

Chances of happening - unlikely. But if Naim does consider it, I’ll take a Nova as my ‘inspiration’ fee :wink:

3 Likes

I raised this in another thread with someone who read it literally, without acknowledging there might be an error in the writing, and maintained that it meant that there would be replacements of 202, 282, and 252. It seems to me - in accord with your view - that the Naim product range is going to be significantly simplified and reduced over the next period. One aspect of this that some don’t seem to take into account is Naim’s strategy of prioritising streaming as the sole source for most future consumers. It will be interesting to see how Naim respond to you.

1 Like

I know there is a desire to rationalise the range but that assumes most customers simply shop at a price point as if they are looking for a bottle of $2 ketchup in the supermarket.

For example, a shoebox power amp for the Atom might seem to compete with a nova at the same price. But I suspect that’s only true for maybe 20% of potential customers who are of the mindset, “i want a hifi for $7000 and don’t care if it’s one box or two or three.” I suspect most customers fall into more specific camps like, “I want a single box hifi for $7000.” and, “I want a pre and power amp for $7000.

Certainly I was looking for a seperates system for my kitchen of the same sort cost as the Star. But I repeat, “seperates”. Not that have anything against an all in one. I have a UQ2 in the office. It’s great. But I want to build a seperates system with a seperate power amp for the kitchen. Naim no longer cater to that market so I’ve shortlisted other options.

Hi Clive. Naim have come back - the wording is deliberate, as the only current product that the NPX can power is the NSC222, hence the mention of the 200 series.

We know that the NPX300 will be able to power 300 series products, so presumably the website will be updated accordingly once they appear.

4 Likes

@Richardw worth a read of this ^^

1 Like

Interesting but surely it should actually be New Classic series if it refers to sources and preamps in the plural.

1 Like

Where and how did they come back?
So is the 300 part of the 200 series?

“ The 200 Series line includes the NSC 222 preamplifier and streamer, the NAP 250 power amplifier, as well as the uncompromising NPX 300 power supply.”

Or are the 222 and 250 part of the 300 series?

What’s written on the website does seem to be something of a dog’s breakfast, as the 300 series, other than the NPX300, is yet to appear. The NPX300 is obviously part of the 300 series. It can power yet to be released things in the 300 series, as well as the NSC222.

3 Likes

I think Naim are in a bit of a muddle with their wording. The 300 power supply is designed to work with both the New Classic series 2 and series 3 sources and preamps. The power amps as now will be self contained. For now Naim have the series three power supply but no other series 3 products to match it with in their blurbs. So they are trying to square the circle in referring to the hierarchical place of the 300 power supply while at the same time having embargoed themselves from referring to any other series 3 products. The NSC222 and Nap250 are definitely New Classic series 2.

1 Like

I do wonder if publishing a product roadmap would be useful. I’m probably not thinking it through, but would there be a downside?

3 Likes

I think it’s very difficult to manage the transition. On the one hand they can completely undermine sales of existing stock; on the other they will get people demanding products before they are available or maybe not even in full production.

2 Likes

Thank you Clive, HH and GT hack,

Agreed the website wording is a muddle of a dog’s dinner.

However, Naim staff are embargoed and so can’t confirm either way on forthcoming product’s existence. So all we can do is make our own minds up whether those are typos or non-seqitors or to be taken as read.

I certainly hope no one made any buying decision based on the website wording.

1 Like

I had misinterpreted the response I received, so have edited my post accordingly. Apologies if I’ve confused anyone.

2 Likes

So now the website wording is confirmed as deliberate we can therefore expect 200 series sources and preamps in addition to the 222:

“ Reach a higher level of musical performance with the NPX 300 power supply for the 200 Series sources and preamplifiers, including the NSC 222 streaming preamplifier.”

Glad that’s confirmed and all cleared up then. :sunglasses: