The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

They are still on sale with one dealer here. I’d just ask for their best cash price and see what happens?

1 Like

What is the reason behind the choice of balanced input? For sure it has more market appealing but naim defended for years the choice of unbalanced because of sound reasons. Is the new solution improving the sound quality?

1 Like

Good point!

I tried Amazon Music but gave up because there was no way to even download high resolution music. I couldn’t even get their support to understand my needs here.

I have Apple Music on my Tesla but they have only recently introduced this. I’m not sure if it is possible to set high resolution for that. Also, perhaps unsurprisingly, smart playlists don’t work.

1 Like

While the current amps can run on less as Steve has confirmed, I’m not sure Naim would recommend it. And certainly they sound best with more, as I know Jason and Mark would absolutely agree. It may well need revision with the latest amps though, so it’s something we will discuss when next together.

1 Like

How would you characterize versus the sn3 ndx2 combo?

2 Likes

That’s a very interesting remark, can you please detail it a bit more, into more or less technical terms?

subject raised 650 posts above; Naim staff no doubt very buy and providing very useful here, so no doubt we will have an answer in due course

might we worth asking @Richard.Dane when he heard the prototypes last autumn, what were in use in the demo room at hq?

Abso-bloomin- lutely…!! The responses that Steve S - @110dB - has provided are extremely useful & insightful. I greatly look forward to more - now and (hopefully) in the near future… :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I think we are fairly same to ‘guess’ that the NAP300 could be overhauled in a similar way to the 250. We just don’t know when… :thinking:

The speakers were Focal, but I can’t recall now exactly which - possibly the Scala Utopia Evo? A bit different to what I’m used to with SL2s at home…

That is how I read it too.

I’m surprised a selection of Speakers weren’t tried, to confirm that there was good balance/results across the more common brands preferred by Naim customers🤔

Amazing products. Was hoping for such a product 5 years ago and glad it finally materialized.
No doubts that from the sound perspective it will be amazing and true to Naim. From a user experience and aesthetics point of view this brings Naim up to date with competitors and will make it appeal to a wider and younger audience.

1 Like

That wasn’t possible in the short time I had (about an hour) as the New Classic kit wasn’t the only thing I was there to hear.

As for Naim themselves, IIRC they use a mix of Focal and Naim speakers during development as well as possible others they may have at home, but perhaps @110dB can elaborate here.

1 Like

A couple of observations catching up this morning…

The more I read through the thread, it seems like there are more interesting new developments in the redesigned 250 than the NSC222 streaming pre-amp, which surprises me as I thought it would be the other way round.

Very surprised there weren’t Naim powered active Focal speakers launched, as I thought that was inevitable (a bit like Thanos).

With the release of the new products there has been no mention or reference in the marketing to Naim’s big birthday this year. Rather surprised at that, and hope there are more enticing products scheduled to launch around June later this year.

The more I see photos in the media, the more I like the new casework!

6 Likes

I’m sure that launch takes place at ISE Barcelona end of January.

1 Like

Richard,

They may have changed since I was there at the end of the Summer but when I was in the demo room they were Focal Sopra No 3 I believe.

Jonathan

3 Likes

The new dem room does look rather lovely!

Hmm third row there must be totally impossible to get a good idea about the performance…

1 Like

Ah, could be. Interesting.