The new NAIT 50 Limited Edition

Are you keeping the 606s in this set up? I found my 606s needed power to sound at their best.

2 Likes

Newest System Box Count Reduction Unit :+1:t2:

14 Likes

Is that a Vertere Redline power on the Nait 50. If so what do you think about its performane vs the original power cable?

Tivoli used to do something similar.

Anyone tempted to try the new Rega Aya floor stander with their Nait 50?

1 Like

My 82/250/hicap usually drive the 606s, and that combination sounds wonderful

I bought the Nait 50 more as a toy, as I have a soft spot for CB shoe boxes :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Just to add to the many thoughts on this thread on the NAIT 50ā€¦

Iā€™ve had my NAIT 50 in place now for over a week and itā€™s settled in very well. The most noticeable change in SQ over the period iā€™ve been using it is a change from a rather soft bass, to a bass thatā€™s now tight and articulate.

Itā€™s a lovely little thing, from the ā€˜originalā€™ box to the unit itself. Itā€™s just enough of an update to keep the classic form, the brushed aluminium front and rear panels, new volume knob and better socketry adding a welcome uplift in the quality of finish and feel over the original. The thunk and clang of the selector buttons is a nice touch too.

SQ wise, driving my Titan 606s, itā€™s a big step up over my (Factory serviced in 2018) NAIT 1.

The original NAIT is a little firecracker, fast and fun. Being ultra critical, it does sound a bit compressed, the sound stage not extending much beyond the plane of the speakers. Itā€™s also a bit noisier than the NAIT 50 with a more pronounced tweeter hiss and with less available travel on the volume control making the channel imbalance at low levels very noticeable. Minor SQ criticisms aside, itā€™s a fun little amp to insert into my main system.

The NAIT 50 on the other hand has managed to keep the original NAIT 1 DNA albeit with a far more mature presentation, sounding bigger and with a more expansive soundstage than the NAIT 1. It still has the fun factor of the original, just re-voiced and enhanced for a 2023 audience. The other telling thing for me, is that after a few days with the NAIT 1, Iā€™m usually glad to get my usual Devialet amp back in and restore full system performance. With the NAIT 50, Iā€™ve not had that urge yet and am taking my time and just enjoying what it can do. It will eventually come out and go into a second system, probably with a pair of Shahinian Compass speakers that I have spare.

Downsidesā€¦. I miss a remote volume control as there is a lot of variation in volume between the albums I listen to. Itā€™s not a criticism of the NAIT itself, itā€™s just how I like to have control of the volume. As others have already mentioned, the white power LED is way too bright and distracting in a dimly lit room and just slightly tarnishes what is otherwise a very fine tribute to the original.

It was very much a vanity purchase as I donā€™t really need two NAITs, but one Iā€™m glad I made.

21 Likes

Yeah, good point, I suppose CB gear can sometimes over emphasis driving rhythm a bit, at the expense of subtler moods, whereas the Nait 50 is a bit more even handed, or ā€˜matureā€™ as you say.

2 Likes

But unlike the 50, the Nait 1 does, however, have a balance control, albeit one Iā€™ve never been to fathom!

1 Like

As I recall, my Nait 2 balance control operates only by reducing one channel?

1 Like

Ah yes - the NAIT 1 ā€˜balanceā€™ controlā€¦

Itā€™s not missed :grinning:

3 Likes

Certainly not needed on my (& I suspect all) N50, even at low volumes thereā€™s no imbalance I can hear.

That wasnā€™t Jamesā€™s experience - follow the thread. Regarding the balance control on the Nait 1, I just set it in the middle of the range and forget about it. It doesnā€™t make much difference either way from there :joy:

1 Like

I do follow the thread, why do you presume I donā€™t?
My remark is still correct, Iā€™ve had no problems with balance, unlike yourself with your ā€œfollow the threadā€ quote :rofl:

That details the original Nait 1ā€™s in-balance, not the N50

Maybe James was referring to an imbalance at low volume on the Nait 1, which Iā€™d never noticed as I donā€™t adjust the balance control. It does seem a curious omission on the N50 though. Iā€™m sorry if my reply caused you any upset.

Didnā€™t cause me upset, takes a fair bit more than that!
It just shows that the thread needs to be read properly, as well as followed, so yes I accept your apology.
Letā€™s move on, lifeā€™s too short for bickering!

I got the following link sent to me a short while ago. First review of the NAIT 50 -

7 Likes

You wait when you hear a SN3, properly wiredā€¦, oh, maybe next time, maybeā€¦ Nice write up man. Thank you for your thoughts James. Enjoy :sunglasses::+1:

2 Likes

Appreciate your reviewā€¦ā€¦not for me as no second system. But i trust your balanced reviewsā€¦ā€¦ā€¦just keep it upā€¦.keep buyingšŸ˜‚

2 Likes