The Paradise of Fools

I think the OP is simply drawing attention to elements of the law in Brunei that are inhuman and barbaric. If that sows discord then so be it.

2 Likes

The termination of a pregnancy (assuming it is done early enough, before the foetus has a chance to become truly self-aware) is very different form stoning an adult to death because of something they were born with. True both are circumstances (or conditions) set in place prenatally, but there is choice as to whether to terminate the pregnancy (for the parents rather than the foetus as at that stage, they are self aware, but the foetus isn’t). However, the barbaric ritualised and drawn out killing of an adult is inflicted on a conscious self aware person whose given no choice - and therein lies the difference.

Incidentally I also have more than one ‘genetic variance’ (read ‘mutant’!), but have chosen to not pass these issues on to another generation.

2 Likes

Not sure the thread title is insulting, but for sure is misplaced & maybe a quick look at Wikipedia would help.

Do not conflate Sharia law with the Muslim faith. I know plenty of muslims who regard Sharia law as pretty abhorrent, and a throwback to less enlightened times. Similar to lumping Creationists in with Christians.

Well said, Tony.

Sharia law is often used to get the loyalty of a certain group of people. It is mostly a political thing. Similar to the Potus’ agreement to the Evangelicals in the USA.

Machiavelli.

One more thing: the middle ages were far from foolish. It was a long and great time where many important things happened. Science was already on a high level, music was fantastic (I love midieval music) architecture was stunning and monks where already brewing beer.

:small_blue_diamond:Ardberg10y,…Above,.the most importent thing :wink::grin:.

But joking aside,…I think everyone understands what I mean by that parable.

:black_small_square:Ps. I can tell you about a Monk monastery 30 km southwest of Munich in Germany.
The Monastery is located in the village Andechs.
They brew a wonderful beer.

During the summer season,…it is usually packed in all beer-halls at the monastery.
Even the outdoor terrace tends to be crowded.

But One more tip,…Book Accommodation before you go there,…there are not so many rooms in the village.

Back to topic…

/Peder🙂

Well, to me i can sum in general terms these items:

1. Do you believe in the Supreme power and religion, or you don’t. If the answer is you believe, there are definitely rules and guidelines to follow. If you don’t, that’s fine and there always laws created by human. And for this human made law, it differs from country to country such as its ok to smoke weed in some parts of the world, while it some parts u might even get hanged for having possession of weed. a bis p/s< there’e no need to look down or condemn other people’s view. that shows what kind of person you are.

2. If you don’t know or know of something through social media, please refrain from commenting. When all you think about when you hear of syaria law is stoning, then your knowledge is only about 0.1%. There’s much more to syaria law than just stoning. it’s a way of life that covers from how to manage the country to how you treat your neighbours. Commenting on something that you don’t know reflects your thinking and sort of person you are. It is so hard to convict a person accused of extra marital activities that there are almost no record of stoning to death even in Saudi. I would be enlightened if somebody can provide the stats of stoning to death.

3. Not all laws are universal. U need different sets to control different people or community. We are diversified and that’s what makes the world interesting. So, do not condemn other countries way of life. Like in my post above about Libya and Iraq. Look at what is happening now as Nato interfered and thought that democracy is the best for them. Now, blood is in the hands of the share holders who wanted to invade the countries. We seem to never learn anything from history.

I will not make further comments on this threat as some people are not willing to open their mind and it is in their nature to always think that they are always right and others are wrong. In islam, we are encouraged not to engage in arguments, and so be it. People are entitled to their opinion. Peace be upon you.

1 Like

Looks like a self-fullfilling prophesy. I have noted your opinion and appreciate that you are not willing to open your mind to the opinion of others.

5 Likes

Alaykum salam.

In principle, most of syaria law is highly applicable to the peoples of the Islamic world, however, some parts are now less applicable than they were about 1000 years ago during the time when syaria law was codified. This lack of applicability is particularly notable in respect of certain specific brutal punishments that are prescribed, as alternatives are now available that were not possible 1000 years ago. These specific elements don’t invalidate the entire system, but they do indicate that modernisation and/or a more modern ‘understanding’ (properly codified) is needed.

It should also be noted that there isn’t just one ‘understanding’ in syaria law, there are many variations, arising from both local traditions and also from the Sunni / Shia schism.

Self-styled “liberals”, “progressives” and others wonder why so many people fear and/or despise Islam.

One only has to look at places like KSA, Iran, the self-proclaimed “caliphate” of ISIS and now Brunei… there’s your answer.

This quarrelsome, expansionist and banal 7th century desert monotheism, which still seems to think that minor moral misdemeanours, apostasy and being gay warrant cruel and barbaric capital punishments, has achieved nothing in the past 500 years, save to spread misery and intolerance.

Currently, the following countries have the death penalty for homosexuality: Afghanistan, Brunei, Iran, Mauritania, [Northern] Nigeria, Pakistan, Qatrar, Saudi, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen.

What on earth could they have in common, I wonder?

4 Likes

Were the countries who opposed Germany in the 2nd world war wrong to do so? Should the Allies have not have been at all concerned that the Germans were killing Jews (I know that the Catholic Church, particularly the Vatican were not concerned)? Should countries/cultures never express an opinion on other cultures’ beliefs and practices?

3 Likes

Extremist conservative governments!

(That’s exactly why more liberalism is needed in the world.)

I agree with your sentiment that religion shouldn’t be forced down anyone’s throat. But just bear in mind that he/she/it/whatever, might not be imaginary.

1 Like

Of course it’s only my opinion. And I support anyone’s right to theirs.:+1:

1 Like

Don, I decided to delete my post. Think these things are better kept for other forums. My original feeling was not to get involved in this thread, I should have trusted my gut feeling. Cheers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.