The perfect listening room

The links in this post of mine in the very useful Speaker placement guide thread lead to spreadsheets presenting results of Salford University’s research, where you can find multiple best and next best ratios, for three different nominal room sizes - pick the nearest size to your own (they found that the best performance ratios were somewhat room size related). When I was planning reconstruction of a room, with multiple options, I found these spreadsheets very good for finding what would work best within the constraints of maximum available dimensions.

I would normally recommend a heat pump - they are very efficient, and can maintain both dry and warm air. In a listening room, however, the sound of the interior unit cycling air over the heating/cooling bars may be a distraction

2 Likes

There’s a solution to that too. For soundproof rooms, there are decoupling adapters that separate the AC from the room. Ditto active air filters. In my room, the AC is just normal because I don’t expect to use it more than a couple weeks a year. But the picture shows two whitish wall mounted fixtures. Those are sound proofed active air filter/exchange units that block sound in and out while cycling in fresh air.

2 Likes

I’ve been tinkering again and come up with a rough idea for an off square design, not sure if it would improve acoustics but certainly gets away from the standard rectangular/square of the previous two options.

1 Like

Franc KUZMA’s Listening Room.

I recognise Karan amps. The other are Zanden, not?

3 Likes

And a nice rack! Do you know what it is?

I was pointing out that there’s a video on Youtube that shows Franc KUZMA’s Listening Room but I don’t think the admin liked the link to Youtube so it was removed.

Anyway nothing stopping people going to Youtube and searching for the video.

1 Like

No, but maybe he has done it himself? Nice, agree.

1 Like

I think he says there’s a lot of wool insulation/sound proofing in the walls, but it’s a couple of weeks since I saw it.