The progressive rock thread

I’m still a big KC fan - I adore albums like Three of a Perfect Pair and have quite a few of the box sets. Others might say it’s just more Frippery,

My Genesis appreciation declined after Trespass and I haven’t got anything post Foxtrot. I like Peter Gabriel’s solo albums. And then there is Brian Pern and Throtch. It is where world music began.

Do ELO count as Prog? If so then it is hard to think of a better album than Eldorado.

Can are on that list and I don’t think of them as prog, but if they are then great - Monster Movie is a favourite.

Definitely, and absolutely, although Out Of The Blue runs it pretty close.

1 Like

Not for me, maybe on the fringe & only with Eldorado making that qualification.
Why they don’t fit the bill for me is because most of their material is simple & traditionally structured rock/pop & not forgetting Jeff Lynne formed the band to follow on in the style of the Beatles.

1 Like

Interesting how people classify as prog or not - and of course bands evolve, so where, say, Deep Purple Mk1 may have been prog, I never think as Mk2 as prog, rather as heavy rock. But whether or not others agree whether specific things fit the prog category I suggest it certainly shouldn’t stop inclusion here.

To me, as a generalisation, prog is music that tends to have a varied structure, conveying its emotion through all parts of the music so the rhythm aspect (toe-tapping to some people) is rarely significant - sort of akin to a fusion of classical and rock, in structure if not in instrumentation.

2 Likes

100% … no toe tapping allowed with serious Prog Rock aficionados; head banging however is compulsory

1 Like

The definition of Prog rock has to be bands that make use of modal scales and chords such as 'add9.
But I hear the refrain so does John McLaughlin and he’s more of your Jazz Fusion Rock.

Ah! but John McLaughlin doesn’t wear a codpiece.

can’t say because it’s not my music here, apart Pink Floyd.

i saw Led Zeppelin VI on that list. Really prog rock? Bitches Brew by Miles is jazz fusion for me.

As I said, the list is odd (well, it is a French publicataion! :grin:), I think of early LZ as mainly blues-rock, but then it developed, and certainly some is prog-ish - I guess LZIV was chosen for Stairway to Heaven more than anything else, but whatever you call it, I think it is a good album: but by Houses of the Holy I was going off the way they were going, and didn’t buy any more after that. As for jazz, some jazz-rock is OK but too much jazz influence kills it for me.

Anyway, back to prog: just played this:

IQ - Tales from the lush attic for anyone who can’t see the picture.

A bit more ‘of its time’ perhaps than some prog stuff that really is timeless, and quite ‘dark’ in mood (As was the follow-up The Wake, but nevertheless still enjoyable. I saw them quite a few times back then, and playing it transports me back.

1 Like

An interesting list of albums, must have above half of them, funny I never have classed Floyd as prog rock more psychedelic rock and Zeppelin. as more mainstream rock, but can see why they were included

1 Like

curious for Led Zep. I understand more for the Floyds.

Here a Rolling Stone list. different.

1 Like

or

https://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?ssubgenres=&salbumtypes=1&syears=&scountries=&sminratings=0&smaxratings=0&sminavgratings=0&smaxresults=100&x=75&y=9#list

this one is ridiculous: you have Miles Davis/ kind of blue or Supertramp or Hot rats .

You can vote for your best list now :sunglasses:

Or ignore the published lists (what I do, and build out own if we want one!

yes, but i like to see if i agree on the choices or even discover an album i didn’t know. I have done that on the jazz fusion, modern and soul music lists.

If we are talking Prog Rock have to include Rick Wakeman… his time with Yes was when the band were at their peak imo. Then there were the solo albums which were pure Prog

1 Like

Just waiting for HH to join in on this thread. I may be waiting a while tho :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Were the Smiths prog rock ? :laughing: