The Queen

Very sad. An era has come to an end. We won’t see her like again.

13 Likes

I must have known that, but I was startled by the speed of it.

1 Like

God bless, what a bastion of service and class.

10 Likes

I must admit to being quite shocked and feeling more emotional than I would have expected.

We will never see another like her.

I’m sure more details will emerge, but there must have been a catastrophic event since Tuesday.

We were just commenting how dignified it must have been that she died at Balmoral.

May she rest in peace.

20 Likes

My condolences across the North Sea. She was a pillar of post-war Europe.

10 Likes

Yes, I seem to remember he doesn’t want to be King Charles due to past associations, isn’t he going to be George VII?

1 Like

RIP QE2. The end of an unique era. I had a lot of respect for her dignity and dedication, amongst other things. I hope Charles will prove at least as good for the country and foreign relations, in these changing and turbulent times. Perhaps even he’ll go a step better and stipulate minimum standards from whomever is his Prime Minister, now and going forward…

7 Likes

Really? I doubt if he’ll get a choice. Charles III is what he now is.

My condolences to you all.

3 Likes

Understandable. Few of us have experienced a change in our Monarch :slight_smile:

2 Likes

He certainly can choose. He is King after all.

If memory serves, George V was actually called David!

4 Likes

Such sad news. It’s a tribute to her that so many of us feel such a deep personal loss at this time.
Deepest condolences to the Royal Family.

1 Like

Meanwhile, glass in hand, I propose a toast: Queen Elizabeth the second, may she rest in peace, and King Charles the third, may he be a good King. To the Queen deceased and our new King!

29 Likes

He can call himself whatever he likes. I always thought he would choose George.

1 Like

Such a sad day……but she fulfilled her duty…….remarkable……so sad.

2 Likes

The Queen’s reign of loyal service and humanity has been an inspiration to many, both here in the UK and far across the Globe. May she rest in peace.

I hope Charles and the other members of the family can continue and even grow that inspiration.

14 Likes

Gut feeling is the country right now could do with some younger blood. Not sure Charles will do that. William for me is probably what the country needs and he has hopefully a long life ahead of him. The Monarchy does somewhat divide British people and having a younger King may help younger people to relate once again…

A sad day for sure for Great Britain. The only Monarch almost all of us here would have known. Lets hope the next chapter stands strong against what has come before.

1 Like

He gets a choice from any of his given names.

1 Like

Well, I don’t want to appear flippant at this sad time for our nation (and I’ve expressed my own sadness above), but let’s all just hope that Charles doesn’t decide to style himself King Chuck.

2 Likes

The monarchy carries on. The moment the Queen died Charles became King, the investiture is a formality.

8 Likes