The Reggae Thread

Mick camping it up alongside The Stepping Razor…cracks me up

Mick paid a tribute to the opening of the Peter Tosh Museum

:grin:

Ah, Peter Tosh, the coolest dread. Big mates with the Rolling Stones, then had a massive bust up, by all accounts. Terrible the way his life ended, just as he was properly breaking on the world scene.

1 Like

For more on his murder check the documentary Stepping Razor Red X. The footage of the blood stained floor at his house will leave you stunned and sick, the image is ingrained on my mind, moved me to tears.
I posted on it earlier in the thread.
:cry:

Peter’s death was a tragic waste, Ive read John Masouri’s book (you probably have too), and the description of that night is pretty graphic. I think there are photo’s of the death scene in the book. There have been a number of accounts from survivors of that massacre, and a little bit of finger pointing going on. Over the years, our music has lost too many great artists to the gun, it’s so sad.

1 Like

Picked these up over the last week:

Treasure Isle In Dub - various artists.

A selection of fairly gentle dub tracks, which nevertheless, hit the spot nicely.

Bitty McLean - Natural High.

Just some sweet sounding reggae from a modern day master.

Bunny Wailer - Blackheart Man.

Bunny Wailer - Sings The Wailers.

The above two … well, it’s Bunny Wailer … 'nuff said.:sunglasses:

1 Like

Yes Kdee have read John’s book, he is a bit reserved in making any conclusions about Peter’s murder. I have my own strong view on it, based on what is very compelling if circumstantial evidence for the widely held view that Peter’s murder was a contract killing at the behest of one of the many enemies he had amongst the government, police, CIA and others.
I have actually discussed this with John Masouri who perhaps quite rightly concludes that he found no “evidence” for the above.
As I mentioned above if this particularly interests you then do check the documentary Stepping Razor The Red X Tapes.

1 Like

Pressure Sounds re issuing this absolute gem from Yabby U & King Tubby.
Follow the link for detailed information and interviews …

If Bunny Wailer is hitting your riddim spot I would also highly recommend Tribute, Rock n Groove (avoid the Tafari label CD re issue), In My Fathers House & The Never Ending Wailers
See my earlier posts on these

Bless

If you can get hold of a copy of Struggle by Bunny Wailer, you won’t be disappointed either, my favourite of his after Blackheart Man.

1 Like

Yes, will check out Red X Tapes again. I must admit, I haven’t studied them as hard as I should have, but you’ve prompted me now! I have a feeling that if there was any hint of a conspiracy, we’d have old Jah B shouting like crazy about it on the internet?! It’s a tough call…

1 Like

Buy one get one free for the One Love Festival https://mailchi.mp/onelovefestival/artist-announcement-1242789?e=196dd000de

Good call Kdee.
Another classic (most of them are really with the possible exception of Hook Line & Sinker) is Protest. I love his version of The Slickers Johnny Too Bad on here
jpeg

1 Like

Nobody really buys the robbery gone wrong theory, it certainly bore the hallmarks of a brutal contract killing.
I think Jah B’s silence on the matter speaks volumes, of all the Wailers he is probably the most spiritual and peace loving and kept away from gangsterism and politricks.

:grinning:

1 Like

Carlton Santa Davies personal acount of the murders

https://relix.com/articles/detail/the_day_the_music_died_in_kingston/

Three suspicious facts about the case against Leppo.
1 when Taxi/Get away driver Russell turned himself in to Police Officer Austin the following morning, Russell claims Austin told him to keep quiet.
2 Corrupt officer Austin was later convicted of another murder and is serving a life sentence.
3 In court Russell, if I remember correctly, admitted that he identified Leppo as the murderer after seeing his picture as the alleged perpetrator in the press.
The other two accomplices have never been identified and witnesses at the scene state that one of the Gunmen said to Peter that he was going to die tonight. Leppo may have had a motive but the modus operandi of the killing seems to suggest that this wasn’t just a robbery. There were plenty of enemies who would have like to see Peter silenced, those circumstances could fill an entirely seperate thread. The JA police had already beaten Peter almost to death and a prominent officer had made a death threat to Peter on a return from abroad at Kingston airport.
If Leppo was indeed the killer, I strongly believe that as he may already have had thoughts of mal intent towards Peter, that he was approached by one of Peter’s many enemies within the authorities, politics, CIA, whoever and hired to kill Peter. The robbery claim being cover for those behind the crime.
:cry:

1 Like

:grinning:

1 Like

Bizzare and fascinating. I remember Chris Blackwell on a Wailers documentary, sorry can’t remember which off the top of my head, saying that he believed the Wailers were on a CIA watch list.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/hightimes.com/culture/people/chanting-down-babylon-the-cia-the-death-of-bob-marley-2/amp/

:thinking:

1 Like

There are many astounding occurrences that are connected to the Wailers, some claims seem legit, others, well, maybe. My take on these are -
The Marley shooting, definitely a (Jamaican) politically motivated hit.
Peter Tosh murder - that was also a hit, disguised as a robbery. There are too many untied ends going on there.
Now, the thing that I cannot believe is that Marley’s death was down to the CIA sticking a sharp object in his boots, that had a substance on it that gave him cancer. He had an injury to his toe, that wasn’t treated in time (due to touring pressures?), that went nasty and developed into cancer, that killed him. I’m no doctor, but can you ‘give’ a person cancer? It’s a disease that develops from within. Plus, it came out later that the type of cancer that he had was common on his fathers side of the family.
I also think that Bob converted to Christianity at the hospital in Switzerland, just prior to his death.

These are all only conclusions drawn from accounts that I’ve read over the years, the real truth, who knows!

1 Like

Excellent cover version of Michael Jackson’s Billy Jean from

Shinehead

2 Likes

The wonderful Nadine Sutherland

1 Like