The Reggae Thread

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

My introduction to Reggae was this band …

1 Like

1 Like

Toots has left us with this fine swansong, his new album came out a couple of weeks back.
His voice is in fine form here (since recovering from being hit with a bottle thrown by some idiot at a festival several years ago), he certainly wasnt resting on his laurels with this recording.
So tragically sad

Bless you Toots
RIP
:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

Friends,
To avoid duplication Ive moved Toots related material to the dedicated Toots Hibbert RIP thread. Link below

Just stumbled on this excellent interview with Jimmy Cliff from 2012.
I think Jimmy’s contribution is very underrated. Like Toots he had a very international outlook and collaborated with a whole host of different artists including Cat Steven’s, Bruce Springsteen, Joe Strummer and countless others.
Bob Marley is often credited as being the first internationally recognised Reggae artist, but that isn’t strictly true, that accolade rightly in my view belongs to Jimmy

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

This Sunday lunchtime 20th Sept at 13.00

1 Like

:heart:

R-757553-1362692609-4644.jpeg

1 Like

• GETTING FIT FOR THE NEW STUDIO SESSION!:heart::yellow_heart::green_heart:
    BORED WITHOUT MY SHOWS AND NOT SEEING MY FANS, I’M ENJOYING WORKING IN THE STUDIO THAT MY MUSICIANS BRING TO MY HOME.
    HERE I GET THE BEST INSPIRATIONS STRAIGHT FROM MY MAGICAL “SECRET LABORATORY”HIGH VIBES AND VISIONS WHERE THE MUSIC SPEAKS TO ME!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
    VOICING, REMIXING AND NOW I ALSO PLAN TO DO PRODUCTION WORK.
    THEY WILL BE COMING IN A FEW DAYS, SO PLEASE CONTACT ME FAST AT
    info@lspparadise.com
    SENDING BLESSINGS, PEACE, STRENGTH AND HAPPINESS TO ALL OF YOU🙏🏾
    LOVE :heart: £$P
3 Likes

this is glorious…
certainly has my speakers throbbing!

2 Likes

Cheers sjw, not heard that one.
The album Second Light is a favourite sounds great on the original vinyl

Featuring the vocal of Earl Sixteen

:+1:

When first released, This Is Jamaica Ska followed in the footsteps of the successful Ska Authentic releases and also marked the first time that Clement Dodd began to showcase on LP his new discovery, The Wailers, who had begun tearing up the dances in Kingston with “Simmer Down.” This song had been held for exclusive use in the dances before it was finally put out on 45, now it gained album status marking the increased visibility of the group in the marketplace. In addition to “Simmer Down,” two other songs by The Wailers are also found on the album: “How Many Times”, and the blazing cover of Jimmy Clanton’s “Go, Jimmy, Go” which Clement Dodd had proposed for the group to incorporate into their repertoire. Also found on This Is Jamaica Ska are songs by Bajan Jackie Opel, a prolific hit maker for the label in this period, with the ribald “Push Wood” and the popular duet “The Vow” with Doreen Shaffer. Anchored by the instrumentals of Roland Alphonso (Clement Dodd’s good friend), Don Drummond’s “Roll On Sweet Don” (here in its correct form), The Skatalites mento-inspired Salt Lane Gal, and mighty vocal outings by the cream of the label’s stars, this became a monumental release. Special mention to “Bongo Tango” which features what is basically a drum solo by Lloyd Knibbs throughout the entire song! The cover for This Is Jamaica Ska alone is iconic in Ska circles and here taken from the original WIRL release.

Transferred in 2020 from the original master tapes, This Is Jamaica Ska is a welcome addition to the Studio One Original Masters Series Archive.

£13 double vinyl album resident records Brighton…

1 Like

Result!
:+1:

Steel Pulse supporting The Royal Protectors Of Mauna Kea

:heart: