The REL No.25 has Landed!

@Musicraft - can I just check if switching to a DIN (SN3)>2xRCA to connect the subwoofer, does the DIN connect to the output labeled Bi-Amp? Checked the manual but couldn’t see any mention of this…?

1 Like

Thats good to know! Did you by any chance use ATC subs as well? Or did you listen to one?

I have a spare Powerline now that I have rearranged my power set up. Is there any benefit in using it on the sub, plugged directly to the wall?

Spot on :+1: the bi amp output socket.

Btw, to help optimise the overall performance try and unburden your satellites of LF up 90Hz and pass these frequencies on to the sub to deal with :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks, presume I’d need some form of processor connected to the SN3 to control what frequencies go to the satellites? Sorry for another question - new territory for me!

Yes. C1, C2 and C6 subs.

1 Like

Yes you will get an uplift. When REL installed the sub the first thing he asked was do you have a good power cable that you want to use with this? I have a Gutwire Cube on it and it helps the punch and definition that the sub gives out .

Try it Mike so how it goes.

Pete

1 Like

Thanks. I slotted it in a few days and was pleased with the result.

I’m still mulling over my power setup. I decided to abandon trying to install a dedicated mains for various reasons. I have an Isotek Sirius power bar from when I had the SN2. I’ve just taken the 250/SC/555PS off this and have them piggy-backed to a single wall socket and prefer that presentation (more weight and dynamic range). That freed up the Powerline I had to the power bar. I’ve since chatted with an ex Naim dealer and he runs a higher level Isotek Sigma on a 500 series and says it’s very good. I’m looking at the new V5 Aquarius as an option. I know I have mains noise, as I’ve previously measured it, and should have some surge protection, as we get nasty brown-outs. So use anything similar in your mighty set-up?

Hi Mike,

I use a dedicated spur to the music room. One socket powers the S1 the other a Puritan power block that has no filters. Each power supply from this has Gutwire power cables and the Radikal is plugged into a different circuit. I don’t have any power down or surge issues, that might cause problems. I’ve tried Isotek, PS and other power conditioners and it strangled the sound.

Cheers Pete

1 Like

Well, this thread has certainly given me the impetus to try a lowdown hound…er, subwoofer for myself.
So - thanks @916SPS and all who have posted!
Though tempted by the tiny Kef (£1300, ouch), I’ve ordered a Cambridge Audio Minx X301 - seems small enough to be unobtrusive and affordable enough (for an experiment), plus a 3m 4 DIN/RCA IC.
Cambridge Audio were very helpful when I emailed them with a connections question.

The Minx arrives Saturday.

This should be a, interesting and (hopefully) b, fun.

My downstairs neighbours may not necessarily agree!

2 Likes

You’re welcome and no worries.

Yes, an external active crossover or processor.

Btw, if you’re going to crossover over at 90Hz then to help optimise overall performance it’ll be a good idea to seal the ports on the speakers.

1 Like

To those who have subwoofers in the system, may I ask what power cord are you using with it, and how much does it cost. Did the cord bring a noticeable or worthwhile difference to the system when used with the sub.

I am currently using a cheap power cord which probably came free with some old computer or printer. I looked at some available options from Furutech (3ts762), expecting the cables to be affordable. Unfortunately, further investigation revealed that they don’t come cheap. For the length that I require (with direct connection to the wall outlet) , the cost would likely come up to about £1,000 or higher.

The little Minx has arrived! A cutie.

Now to settle down with manual and figure out how to get the best from it. Hoping placement will be uncontroversial…my wife’s away for a few days and I really want to avoid a “what the hell is that?!” conversation on her return, lol.

5 Likes

A subwoofer with a name like that you could be in serious trouble.
Just be clear when you explain where you have put the little minx for maximum effect.
Good luck :joy:

2 Likes

The Minx is sounding pretty damn impressive from the off…gives an extra oomph and sense of space for sure. Bit of fine tuning over the next couple of days. And it fits nicely and unobtrusively in the room. Seems I got lucky with placement - tho I’ve not yet tried different locations.

Makes me feel like I’m in Studio One when I play some good reggae loud ( though this will have to be when the neighbours are out, I suspect).

Thus far - impressed. Looking forward to trying out orchestral music and some ‘thinly’ recorded albums.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Sub club Stevie!! Amazing what a sub can do to the music :+1:

1 Like

Yes, I’m impressed. At low volumes too.

I’m not sure my neighbours will necessarily agree. I’ll suck it and see - they’re pretty cool mostly but perhaps not when Prince Far I kicks in…

Edit\ just messing around with placement etc - I put down a heavy tile (to hopefully lessen any vibrations for them downstairs as we have floorboards, carpeted but still…) then remembered I had four Isoacoustic Orea Bronze lying about - as you do, lol. Under the Minx (still on the tile) and ooh, this seems to have tidied things up nicely, compared to just on carpet. My impressedness continues…

As for the neighbours, keeping my fingers x’d!

2 Likes

Hi Ryder

I use a Gutwire power cable and it has made a difference to my sub. Bass is sharper and tighter so worth the investment :+1:

Sent from my iPhone

1 Like

Hi 916SPS,
Thanks for the post. The Gutwire looks like a quality cable even with the entry-level B10. Will try to allocate a small budget for one in due time.

At the meantime, I’ve got some Nobsound isolators arriving sometime this week and will see if they will bring a noticeable difference/improvement to the current spikes on the sub.

The current placement of the sub in between the speakers which produced a good result (corner placement was terrible).

3 Likes

Looks a very calm, cool listeninmg room :+1: Love the equipment rack and the Gustav Klimt print - very classy!

2 Likes