The REL No.25 has Landed!

:+1:

Loving the post.
I run two decent sized subs in my system alongside a pair of large floorstanders.
I bought them for the Atmos setup but theyā€™ve become an integrated part of the two channel setup too.

The subs add atmosphere to a lot of music, then are barely noticeable in other tracks where itā€™s not in the source.

Edit - just listened to female vocals, with/without the subs and weirdly they make a difference there too

Like youā€™ve already suggested, itā€™s not all about the boom, boom!

Question is, when are you getting another? :wink:

2 Likes

:shushing_face: :laughing: :laughing: dont tell the wife! I didnā€™t have any idea what I was missing and yes I agree even when you think thereā€™s no bass the music is so much better

2 Likes

You sir, have one of the coolest looking systems/rooms of anyone on this forum! I canā€™t even imagine how fab your system sounds, and I dare say I canā€™t imagine how you can tear yourself away to do anything other than listen to music!

More pics please :stuck_out_tongue:

Congratulations! What a great read/thread.

I remember going to a show many years ago and seeing the late Richard E Lord of REL demonstrating how a sub if integrated properly in to a two channel system can greatly improve our audio listening pleasure. I was gobsmacked! I canā€™t remember the exact system or sub, it wasnā€™t very high end just a basic two channel system with some stand mount speakers. He played all genres of music and the one that stood out was an organ piece and it sounded sublime. The low bass notes were to die for, and the bass weight was just perfect and as you described it enhanced the other audio spectrum without drowning it out. I remember thinking back then there is so much I was missing out on on any genre of music!
This was at the peak time of 5.1 and 7.1 home cinema and every system at every show was about bomb explosions etc so it was so refreshing to see Richard demo this. A real passionate and lovely helpful man.

You mentioned the guys in Reading. I work in Reading. Is this your ā€œneck of the woods ā€œ?

2 Likes

Puritan does custom one offs by request. I guess itā€™s not ā€˜everything goesā€™ but different sockets, inlets and even wiring I believe. Mike does have clear opinion on such mods though.

Small correction @916SPS - glanced too quick and took the Bobber for a Sporty, sorry. :face_with_hand_over_mouth: Both bikes are quite far off your forum name. :slight_smile:
I have a tuned & tricked-out XR1200 btw.

Hi RVL - I like all bikes hereā€™s my retired track bike, an the one I use now. Having said that havenā€™t been on a track in a while after my friend had a serioius accident at Portimao :flushed:

cheers

10 Likes

Hi Dusty no Iā€™m North London but have been dealing with Audio Consultants for a few years now. Yes the REL has completely knocked me sideways I couldnā€™t listen to my music without one now

2 Likes

Sincerely hope your friend is making a full and fast recovery.

Nice - Iā€™m toying with the ideas of a Rel Sub. Thought they had to be high level connections so would need two as use a 500 amp. I hadnā€™t thought of taking an output from the Supercap which is connected to the 252

1 Like

Hi Cautious if you have one 500 you only need 1 high level connection. The three wires go on pos and neg on one channel and the 3rd wire goes on either pos or neg on the other channel. Thereā€™s been a lot of debate on the forum about damaging your amp by doing this, and that you should do it at the speaker end, but thatā€™s what REL recommend. Check with REL about the feed from your suopecap Iā€™m not sure if thereā€™s a difference to the way it works with me as the supercap is feeding the SNAXO on the active 3 amps

2 Likes

Thanks gthack heā€™s doing well now but spent three months in a Lisbon hospital - heā€™s walking again now and unbelievably continues to do track days - and heā€™s been back to Portimao :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Obviously I donā€™t know you, or your friend, but a fellow biker, and itā€™s good to hear heā€™s on the mend, and I think itā€™s good to hear theyā€™re back riding :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Can I ask, why a single sub, rather than a pair? I think I knew that sub bass isnā€™t terribly directional, but wondered if you spoke with REL or AS about it?

2 Likes

Thanks - think the issue is the 500 is a dual mono design so causes an issue. Iā€™ll check with Rel though. Thanks

2 Likes

I toyed with the idea of 2 x REL Ref Mk II as they are smaller but was advised that I wouldnā€™t be able to buy them until either the end of the 2022 or possibly even 2023 as the production line had been bought out for the year by a guy from Malaysia. Same goes for the N0.25. Martin at Analogue Seduction did manage to find me a No.25 but I think itā€™s the last one available.

I also watched a clip of John Hunter saying that two of a lesser quality Sub they produced wouldnā€™t be better than the one above so as the No.25 was offered I decided on that, and Im really pleased I did. If you look at the picture of my room above there isnā€™t any space to put another. We plan to move in the near future and if so and I have enough space I will certainly add another :wink:

2 Likes

Supercool! I did a track weekend on a 916SPS quite some years ago. What an awesome bikeā€¦ The sound of those 2 Desmo slugs hammering 50cm under your chin is second to none imo.

Love the Priller too! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

:grinning: :+1:

Thanks OA.

There are some seriously trick rooms on the forum and its great to see what spaces we all enjoy our music in. I have a little bit of room treatment in diffusers but I donā€™t have any real issues with sound problems probably because of all the clutter around me.

The enjoyment of having the albums CDs etc. that Iā€™ve collected since I was 12 years old surrounding me adds to the pleasure of being in the room and listening to music - which is what this is all about.

:+1: