The REL No.25 has Landed!

We have been running a pair of REL 212se’s for a couple of years just fills the room with sound.

1 Like

Wish I’d known about what a sub added to the listening experience sooner!!

3 Likes

I’ve just ordered a pair of Rel T9x to go with my PMC 25.21i.

1 Like

I think the benefits of subs are somewhat overlooked by Naim users for some reason, as a generalisation. Well integrated and matched with the speakers and room, they certainly can lift the overall scale and presentation.

4 Likes

My dealer is a big fan of a modest sub ( usually REL) in a naim system.

2 Likes

My dealer is NOT a fan of subs at all…

1 Like

So what?

2 Likes

Some people don’t like marmite…I love it…and I’ve heard what a correctly set up sub can do to a two channel system and I love that to…nice, very nice which I’m guessing 916SPS is enjoying , long may that continue.

2 Likes

I suspect what @nitrous was trying to say is that if his dealer is not a fan of subs, it is rather difficult to get a demo or even the slightest encouragement to try something, or be any help in integrating a sub into his system.

2 Likes

Agreed. I’m sure there are other dealers should he wish to explore further.

1 Like

Interesting discussion and thread. Anyone with experience from ATC subs? I run ATC SCM40 as speakers since some months.

Regards

1 Like

@IainW you are exactly right. My Naim dealer has the position that a sub can never be right for every recording and I don’t think he stocks any subs. On the other hand I have a sub in two of my three Naim systems🤔

3 Likes

Apologies nitrous I got the wrong end of the stick with your comment and thanks to IainW for pointing it out. Almost a week on and I’m still blown away with what the REL has added and all the detail that I’ve never heard before.

3 Likes

@916SPS no apologies required, writing on forums often causes misunderstandings. Glad the sub is working out. As I say, I use them in my smaller systems, because I use very small monitors (sonus faber lumina 1 and dali pico) both benefit massively from the sub.
But my Naim dealer really doesn’t seem to like using them. Obviously I didn’t buy the subs from him!

Enjoy the music😎

1 Like

Out of interest I am interested to hear why you run two subs? Most audio below 100 Hz or so is effectively mono… so are two subs purely for sound pressure reasons?

1 Like

I suspect in won’t make much difference… however I do think you are inviting more potential issues with coupled RF noise and noise affecting the amp feedback systems in having a high impedance load over quite a length of cable to your amp output which already has low impedance speakers connected.
I would suggest if possible you connect at the pre output … preferably a separately buffered pre output.

Very good point. It would be a shame to solve those issues with an expensive chord speaker cable only to negate that with connection of a sub using lesser cables. Thanks for the advice.
Since I have a Supercap plus 252, I’m not sure how you would take the signal from there. I guess then that would go to the line in of the instead of speaker level in. I did ask the thread initiator but he answered in the context of his active system where the signal is taken from the Supercap that powers the snaxo.

I started off with one. When used in AV configuration, you found yourself snapping your neck when the serious sub action happened. For example, if there was a crack of thunder in a scene, your eyes would dart toward the sub. It’s kind of a reflex reaction because you feel like you’re about to hit by something.
With an identical sub at the opposite side of the room, you push back in your seat and continue to watch the screen, rather than gawping at the sub in awe.

You can also run the subs at lower gain, so they sound a bit more natural but still get the impact.

In two channel listening, they’re set to lower levels to support the main speakers. I’ve got Kanta 3’s so they go very low anyway, but there’s a definite difference when you play with/without the subs powered.

4 Likes

Hi Slug,

This is explains it:

Pete

3 Likes

Thanks, like your point about reacting to film sound FX :grinning:

1 Like