The S1 pre shining bright

Thanks. We have an inset wood burner (to the right of my chair) and lots of logs from our trees (ash disease and hornbeam honey fungus). Time to start the routine soon.

Getting back more on topic, soundstage development seems part and parcel of the whole SQ improvement (more layers/textures in the vocals and instruments) associated with getting the mains right. The MusicWorks went in new in February and just didn’t work as well as the demo one I had had for 2-3 months. It went in exactly the same place with no cable movement. Just power-downs for lightening and some unplugging etc. since. So not sure what else accounts to the SQ development.

Phil

Mine is a Celestron 8” Edge HD. It’s a Schmitt Cassegrain design so the main mirror sends the light to a secondary mirror which returns it down the middle of the main to the eyepiece or Camera. It’s a starter telescope. The mount is an iOptron CEM70G with built in Polar scope and Guide scope. It should when setup be capable of less than 1” RMS of arc tracking accuracy.

Out of the Hifi pan into the Astrophotography fire.

Phil

2 Likes

Don’t put any weight on over Christmas Peter or you are going to have to recalibrate the room! :joy:

2 Likes

And why not! Shots of the moon have been wonderful.

1 Like

Unless it’s an improvement. In which case it will be a real dilemma whether to lose it…

1 Like

Now that’s a great excuse Michael, “I really would love to go on a diet to lose this weight, but really we can’t go back to the old low-end performance.”

Bank balance, marriage, sanity…?

1 Like

Aesthetes must perforce… eat! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Everything’s pretty fine :wink:

I guess my telescope probably has a bigger effect than your baubles! It would be nice to test the theory out with an S1! Although I would settle for just hearing a system like yours.

Phil

Hi Phil,
Indeed once you embrace the mad journey of room treatment and as the room gets more and more highly tuned for musical waves, you come to realise that even a metal door handle in my case could create a nasty tizz in my right ear. No worries, I shall spare you the photos of how I got round it :crazy_face:

We actually do not have a conventional Christmas tree but this weekend our twig in our main living space, will be dressed with posh beables and will play the role of a tree:
( This process involves a shared bottle of lush Red between us :+1:t3:)

There you have it, and yep I know we are a bit quirky :nerd_face:

Where about in the country do you live? ATB Peter

6 Likes

That was pre-S1. I do hope you have the correct log scales to calculate the new number required

1 Like

Gloucestershire. I guess you are near Signals!

Correction, I see where from your profile. I intended to walk the Old Way from Southampton to Canterbury last April, but … Next year now. Maybe the route passes near you. I also have family in Winchester and a distant cousin at Easebourne. He may walk some of it.

Phil

1 Like

Thats great…I only made the comment as I tried all ways to get that room to work…I don’t pretend to be any form of expert. But I am delighted to be prooved wrong… you have a great setup… :+1:

Must be 4-5 years of the silly journey, but feeling content.

Paraphrasing what DB says “acoustic is sometimes counter intuitive”. I can only suggest playing with speaker placement. I fixed the left hand speaker because of the need to open both patio doors and found a position for the right hand one that seemed markedly better. Jennifer Warnes’ Ballad of the Runaway Horse’ has a Double Bass that helps get the speakers right.

I have to rely on soft furnishings rather than panels.

Phil

By far the best way Phil, my listening room is just not big enough ( 6x3.5 meters) to accommodate the appropriate furniture for the job. Hey needs must and all that :+1:t3: ATB Peter

1 Like

I understand more now Peter. In my case, with your speakers, in a same dimensions room I have, I would need to cover all my walls with acoustic panels :grin::chicken:

Never heard of one for mine. It can only be for control SW - mine works fine as it shipped, but all my S1 Pre is used for is a Volume Control - albeit a rather excellent one! :laughing: :bear:

DB.

2 Likes

What is control SW ?

Control Software is what runs inside the S1 to allow it to accept remote control and on-box button commands. I do not know what else could be possibly updated inside an analogue Pre with digital controls.

DB.

1 Like