The S1 pre shining bright

Peter, I’m convinced,
I’m breaking my pension savings.
Life is too short anyway … :wink:

7 Likes

You can spend as little or as much as you want. It’s a bit like Hifi with light including the arm chair!

Phil

1 Like

I had a simple refractor as a child and cartographed sun spots manually every day. (I also was sometimes teased by classmates …). A couple of years ago I got back into the physics hobby, checked out the advances in amateur scopes and marveled at the state of art. I would even have the space outside and all, problem is just I live in the city and scattered light would ruin the fun. The cash is spent better elsewhere, but I still envy you

1 Like

If you go for Astrophotography you can filter out city light. There aren’t many dark sky places these days. My aim is to automate and get a good night’s sleep.

Phil

But aren’t the pros complaining all the time about stray light? They can’t filter it?
Anyways, I think I am better off looking at other people’s photos :slight_smile: But thanks

That’s quite similar to my room (proportions not quite the same) and the speakers are in similar location, but seating position further back

1 Like

Thanks for the input. I was indeed considering to have it slightly further back, too, but the width of the path behind the couch is now still comfy. Any further back and it starts to become a bit crowded. Plus there is a carpet and the couch is heavy, so changes require another person. Might look into it later, but good to know about you - you are exploring everything so diligently :slight_smile:

(I love the apartment but I wish the large part was 0.5m wider and the idiot builders would have made the terrace doors open to the outside! It would be absolutely perfect then)

Blimey - wouldn’t go that far :joy:

You can’t hide, I am following you and I know

1 Like

If you want to photo buildings at night against the celestial background then dark is good. I saw some wonderful photos of Comet Neowise against the such foregrounds.

The more I look at other people’s photos the more I want to give it a go. Besides that the family may be able to connect as well. It’s a great introduction to the mysteries of the universe for young minds.

I guess if you live in an apartment things might not be ideal. Live long…

For @PeterR’s benefit, the parallel between audio and optical are striking. You have reached the Hubble level. The universe keeps expanding as we see deeper and deeper.

Phil

1 Like

Indeed Phil :nerd_face: ATB Peter

I meant watching/photos of celestial objects as such, without buildings in foreground. Like https://telescopeauthority.com/light-pollution-and-its-impact-on-astronomy/
There are streetlights and other stuff in masses right beyond my terrace. I think I’d be disappointed but still envy you. Have fun!

Apologies to @PeterR for hijacking your wonderful thread, I will shut up now

@PeterR once the euphoria of the s1 pre has passed and you start dreaming of the next upgrade, what’s it going to be? Not little improvements I’m thinking speakers or the statement amps.

No reason for apologising at all, as we are still keeping our focus on ‘resolution’ :wink: ATB Peter
( rooms are always a fascinating challenge)

1 Like

Hi Zackwater.
I was just reading your question aloud to my very understanding wife…Nah! :woozy_face::rofl:

As I stated previously, this was always going to be ‘ one final upgrade’ and tbh I’m very happy to have come to realise, how well it has worked in the sense of retaining system-balance. I would not even have attempted this in a room, where the speaker/room interaction was slightly askew.
The S1 digs very deeply into the mix probably most apparent in the deep bass department, where it resolves thunderously deep bass with ease and no overhang. However this still means however clean, that it does put demands on the room response.
I have spent 18 months to highly tune my room to work with my PMC Fact 12s for both bass and midrange dome/tweeter reflections. Bear in mind that my room is only 6x3.5 meters in size and to my ageing ears the speakers not only sound really balanced but also manage to create a believable sound stage well beyond the physical room boundaries, which is amazing to experience tbh.
So in short this is, however boring this may sound after 35 years on the old upgrading trail, ‘ The End’!
Happy as Larry though :+1:t3::grimacing: Peter

Post scriptum; If I won the lottery I’d buy the Statement amps and keep my front end and speakers.

1 Like

Peter, congratulations on reaching the end stop…i did a screen saver on the ipad just in case you waver😉

2 Likes

Brilliant Gazza, yeah ‘ Famous last words’…:joy::joy: Best Peter

3 Likes

Dear PeterR, I am struck by your comment in initial post “EASE” as I can relate to it quite easily though not personally in my own system. The best systems I’ve heard deliver all the goods but with a sense of EASE that is confounding. Hard to explain but one knows when one hears it. Also, hard to put a price on it.

In my limited experiences, the common factor has always been systems that contained horn speakers and field coil drivers. Very impressed that Naim can deliver in this area within the confines of conventional speakers. From reading your comments, I have no doubt you are experiencing this rare quality of a hifi system.

4 Likes

A very interesting thread. I’ve enjoyed having the time to have a proper read this afternoon.

Nice one Peter :ok_hand:

2 Likes

I understand you 100%. After all the efforts you put to get work your speakers in your room, which is not big as mine, I think it’s better not to change them. Specially if you are satisfied with them.
In all cases you would not be able to get work properly something like Magico M2 or Kudos 808, IMO.
a Statement on your speakers would also be exaggerated, I feel.
So eventually better cables or powerblock. Or a nice turntable…

1 Like