The S1 pre shining bright

Thank you Bluesfan, you know where I am! :wink: ATB Peter

Thank you Gazza, yes they are a great gang at Signals and you always end up having a good old larf! Best Peter

2 Likes

I am pleased that Signals are starting to sell the Statement amps having stocked them from launch…they always play the patient long game👍

2 Likes

Awesome system Peter, i’ve heard the S1 in five different systems now, and not once has it dissappointed. Kudos in sticking with CD by the way, why downgrade your music for the sake of ‘convenience’ :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I have no doubt at all that S1 has a greater impact than Nd555/ Melco. All will not agree, but the pre is the heart of the system. I am not in the source first in all cases camp .
And the advantage of the Cd555 is that you are not zapping on your IPad continuously , you are more focused on the cd playing. Have I to end by IMO ?..

2 Likes

Great review on a primo Naim system. While I am content with my Nac 52/Nap 250/CDS3, NBL active kit, listening to the ultimate Naim system would be fabulous. Congratulations!

I have never had the opportunity to listen to a S1, maybe good job lol.
I can only hope that its a very big improvement over the 552, judging by the price.
I am surprised that you haven’t tried a different dac to run the CD through ?, as that would also i should think be an even bigger improvement,
As said would love to pop round one day with my rossini and clock and see what it sounds like on it, especially as we have the same amp and speakers, could well be an eye opener for us both

Dave just saying it would be fun to try, for both off use i feel, as i would see what the S1 can do, and peter would see what a streamer like mine can do.
The cd555 is a great source still

Hi Peter
I have just written a lengthy response … hit the wrong button on my mobile and gosh … all gone …:see_no_evil::see_no_evil:

Really enjoyed your post and photos, Peter. I’m not surprised at your findings with the S1. A while back my dealer laid on demo for me where he started with 552DR/500DR and then played in the S1, later adding in the power amps. Much as I love my 552, the S1 was magical. On material very familiar to me, the effect of the S1 just made me laugh. The vocals in particular were sublime. When the Statement power amps were added to the system, yes, things improved still further but the impression I was left with was just how good the 500DR was (and determined at that point that I really had to have one :innocent:).

The S1 is easily the best pre I’ve ever heard, and comfortably betters the 552DR. Enjoy!

Mike

2 Likes

Hi Gary, thank you and I can’t that I wasn’t dreading, that due to the higher resolution of the S1 a weakness from my 555CDP could potentially have been exposed. I am glad to report that the old spinner still rocks! :+1:t3: ATB Peter

2 Likes

Yep FR call me a dinosaur, but I simply have no interest in streaming. Even thinking about ethernet switches and more boxes brings me out in a sweat :disappointed_relieved: Your thoughts on the significance of the preamp I agree with totally, hence this is now my end point. ATB Peter

6 Likes

Nooo…:pleading_face:

1 Like

Thank you very much Mike and as per your own observation this is exactly what I now also have experienced in my own system. Thinking about all this before deciding to dem the S1, it did occur to me what a significant upgrade the DR conversion was on the 500 in comparison to the equivalent on the 552. Yes the 552 got cleaner, but the 500 DR came back sounding like a different and much more effortless and powerful amp. Again now in unison with the S1 it is dealing with everything graciously. The full Statement is a lot of money and beyond my comfortable capability, but just maybe the S1/ 500DR is a nice sweet spot. I am not hearing anything being at all unbalanced thankfully.
On a different note my Beta tester and wife Sophie made an interesting observation. She has lately been working a lot on her computer in the office above the listening room, this also when it yesterday was beginning to sound pretty spectacular. There is not a chance she’s going to sit down with me and listen to my ‘ dodgy Blues’ as she calls it, but nevertheless I trust her opinion. So after a couple of hours of NOT low level listening down below and being in ‘ Let’s get this party started’- mode :partying_face:, I went up and asked her if she could hear any difference. Her comment was: “ It sounds cleaner, kind of more balanced and there is less bass”… just goes to show!!
Should you wish to come for a listen now where the system is actually working much better with the room, you know where to find me! :+1:t3: All the best Peter

3 Likes

Hi Dunc, tbh. I’m a bit of an old country-boy, who in his older age after a lifetime of endless upgrades of passive/active systems now just want an easy and quiet life. :wink::rofl: ATB Peter

2 Likes

‘Dodgy Blues’ :grinning: My other half calls my Jazz ‘Dodgy Jazz’…

1 Like

Nothing wrong with that peter, very pleased for you, but quite, no, turn it up.
The question is, as its on demo i think?, can you let it go, i guess not.

Anyway just enjoy

Well it’s paid for now Dunc! :face_with_hand_over_mouth: Best Peter

5 Likes

Even better then

1 Like

However your Rossini has a transport, a CD player. So it would be interesting for you both, my thinking, to hear what a Rossini CD player can do with the S1.
I wonder if Pete will prefer it vs the Cd555/ twin ps.

Not sure. For example Paul Messenger, from Hifi news, has a big system but prefers still his Marantz da12/ cd12 player from the 90’s.