The times they are a changin’

@JimDog not sure about automation, but you can control input selection on nDac with Naim remote (Narcom) in “pre” mode: numbers 7,8,9,0 correspond to inputs on the nDac.

3 Likes

Looks like others have answered this.

Enjoy!

thanks

Does anyone have any information or experiences of how good the impact of the various psus is on the nDAC?

especially how many rails are used, etc.

I don’t have any first hand experience yet, but a quick search it seems like the 555PS non Dr is apparently preferred with the nDAC. Personally I’d be happy with the XPSDR

I have read numerous threads where some prefer the nDAC with 555DR, others the 555PS without DR.

1 Like

I have discussed this on another thread that Simon Pepper started:

Yes, when I owned the NDAC I really enjoyed my 555PS (nonDR) with it. It just uses one of the 555PS Burndy outputs.
Interestingly when you power the NDAC this way you are actually using two powersupplies. The native NDAC powersupply powers the digital electronics including DSP, whilst the external PSU powers the analogue stages… in this configuration I found it an impressive piece of kit.

2 Likes

Yes, it took it me a while to figure that out when I set it all up.

When you just plug in the 555DR the nDAC doesn’t work until you switch the nDAC on as well.

I wonder whether it would be as good with the 555 non-DR?

If so, I could sell the 555DR and use the difference to get a better preamp.

Was the nDAC designed before the DR phase?

BTW, Simon, the thank you above was for your help in informing me how to set up my PoE Cisco 2960’s, which I’m still using; your ideas about optical fibre vs Ethernet; and also in your advice to separate the dac from the streamer, as well as your thoughts on the nDAC, NDS, NDX2, and other items.

1 Like

For a while I had a 555PS DR and 555PS nonDR… I preferred the latter with the NDAC… and yes the NDAC was designed before the DR powersupplies.

Glad it’s all working out for you… thanks for the feedback.

1 Like

Now you mention it, I do remember you saying that on another thread.

That’s very useful to know, as you’re probably one of very few people who have made that comparison.

1 Like

I bet your system is sounding wonderful right now!

I feel the 555 dr will be more beneficial to the 272, in that configuration.
But need to be tested.

1 Like

Jim, time to send to Naim for “ Un-dr” :rofl:

2 Likes

At the moment I can’t test that because I don’t have a blanking plug for the DAC.

One is hopefully on the way.

But I doubt it will sound better with the 555DR on the 272.

1 Like

Yup, happy times indeed.

If only I knew how to put the remote control into preamp mode!

I think it’s as simple as pushing the “pre” button on the ND5XS2’s remote.

1 Like

Except that the ND5XS2 has no remote. It’s the Narcom amplifier remotes that have the ‘pre’ button.

1 Like

Thanks @anon4489532 you are absolutely correct. My Narcom remote came with my SN3.

I have the remote that came with the 272.