The trick to being content with your system?

The title of the thread was ‘The trick to being content with your system’ and I thought it more likely that we are content when a need is satisfied. I suspect wants are much more short term, like wanting the next best streamer or cartridge or whatever. In reality it’s all a bit trivial, this audio stuff. As wrong as it seems to me, I reckon audio need or want falls loosely in the esteem level. Depressing really, when you consider the bigger issues we face.

4 Likes

This is a very good response to this thread, and I totally agree. One can stay content with the system, choose not to upgrade and stick with the system forever. Nevertheless, once you compare two components, one will eventually sound better. If your gear sounds worse than the other one, it is unlikely you will stay content unless you can live with the inferior sounding gear and accept its shortcomings.

The trick to being content? Don’t audition new gear. You can be content with your system now but if you audition something that has the potential of sounding better than your current gear, you are doomed (or blessed), depending on how you wish it to be.

I thought about including that one in my list, but opted to focus on the source of info that makes people think of auditioning possibly better things: if you read hifi information sources - magazines, internet etc, or allow a dealer to make suggestions, you will then already have in your head the thought that something may be better - and in your imagination it could then reside, always tempting you.

1 Like

Having fire proof pockets.

Reflecting on my original list I realise I was answering the wrong question: instead of answering as to what keeps me content with my system, I was analysing possible causes of dissatisfaction to identify measures that might help others.

The answer for myself is something I cannot pinpoint, other than that by nature I’m a realist and not a “grass is always greener on the other side of the fence” type of person. I have thoughts and plans and dreams from time to time about improving my system, from the start always having wanted it to sound as good as I can possibly get it - but I have never been dissatisfied with my system at any stage of the journey to where it is now, always being quite content because at any given point I felt I had achieved something good. I have never felt fatigued through listening, no matter how long the session, nor ever lost interest in listening. I suspect that people who find their systems fatiguing, or who lose interest in it, have simply made poor choices of kit, presumably without realising.

Even after auditioning Dave with its literal wow-factor revelation, had I decided I couldn’t afford it I would not have been left dissatisfied or suffering malcontent, I would simply have reverted to accepting the level of system I could afford, with Dave relegated to that fanciful dream world of “if I were to win the lottery”. So for me I think it is an attitude of mind, though no doubt helped by choosing kit carefully rather than following the masses or the latest fad, and maybe being lucky enough to find speakers that really did it for me very early in the game.

Burn the Heretic!

1 Like

Not sure what you mean here…

If it were really a need to be satisfied, then where would you place it in the hierarchy? It must be a fair way up, unless you regard it as essential to life!

Don’t listen to anything else and don’t go into your dealer’s shop.

2 Likes

But why esteem? Whose esteem?

I think the “trick” to being content is realizing that no matter what you own there is always an upgrade. On another thread there was a person who owned 4 statement amps and a statement preamp, so bi-amp statement system. He decided he wanted 2 more amps so he could tri-amp his statement system. Wow, is all I can say to that one.

As for me, I had a very eye opening experience on this forum. I was whining about my system and never being satisfied and a member told me I should save my money and spend it in a psychiatrist. Oh, it immediately set me off. I told my wife and her response was “And?”, she agreed. Now, I’m not going to a psychiatrist, but I have made a conscious effort to be content with what I have, and you know what? It has worked. Now I’m sure I will add a 2nd power supply to my 555, but the upgrades are over (other than that). So thanks @anon4489532 your words were harsh but absolutely true.

1 Like

1: Find the manufacturer making kit whose sound you like above all others.

2: Find a speaker manufacturer turning out kit which has synergy with the above.

3: Find a knowledgeable dealer whose guidance you trust.

4: Start on the upgrade journey, and continue, as long as each step is clearly an improvement.

5: Arrive at your destination once further upgrades are outwith budget.

Hence, Naim, Neat and Acoustica at Chester. :+1:

7 Likes

From my point of view I got carried away and spent a good £20k on full Fraim, new sources and upgrades in a year. A year on and I have spent next to nothing on hifi gear.

Things can get obsessive and leave you with a feeling that you need something. This is addiction.

I am now in a place whereby I love my system and am happy with it. To a point!

In order to make big differences now I am looking at spending big money so I am leaving well alone.

In the meantime I am happy with what I have, albeit deep down always wanting more.

And I guess that is life. Some of us are always searching and wanting more, rather than being content with what we have !

Ha! I remember that and you did get quite cross if I recall. But as you clearly realised, my response was well meaning. I’m so pleased it helped. The funniest thing is when somebody buys something new and others chime in with ‘congratulations!’ Have they saved a child’s life, had a baby, invented a new Coronavirus vaccine? No, they have just bought something expensive they don’t need. If someone gets a Statement you’d think they were the baby Jesus by the way some members fawn over them. It’s like having the biggest conker at school.

I’ve stayed out of this thread, but I still maintain that remembering that there will always be something better is incredibly helpful.

It is easy to get carried away and it’s hard to ignore the herd mentality sometimes. I bought a £1,300 mains block a couple of years ago and was very excited about it. I’ve sold it now and do I miss it? No. A lot of these upgrades seem to make a big difference but after a few weeks you no longer notice them. Often, if one has an upgrade urge, if you just ignore it, after a few days you forget about it and are perfectly content again.

Getting a good well balanced setup that is affordable and fits your life is the key. We are all incredibly fortunate to have such nice things.

17 Likes

I think some of that is an age thing. When you are younger you want (you being a generalisation of course) a better job, better car, better house, better whatever. As you get older and realise you won’t get it, it no longer matters. I wonder why the upgrade thing plays such a role in the Naim ownership experience? Maybe we only see it on Forums and there are legions of happy contented users who’ve not changed anything in years? We have a little Audi and are perfectly happy with it. If I see a bigger or faster Audi I have no desire to have it whatsoever. Why is Naim different? It’s odd.

1 Like

Quite so.

Maslow’s hierarchy of needs classifies personal needs in a logical sequence from basic survival to self potential. It’s well documented.

I couldn’t agree more Dave :+1:t3: ATB Peter

1 Like

Yes, I know of it. I had to learn and use it during teacher training. I was wondering what you thought ownership of Naim equipment affected esteem.

It’s obvious I’d have thought. Members with the big systems tend to be held in higher esteem that those with more modest setups. It’s sad but it’s true.

3 Likes