The ULTIMATE Bloody Mary

There is a ‘Favourite Cocktails’ thread that I kicked off. I have already posted several bourbon based cocktails including a ‘perfect’ Manhattan!

3 Likes

Careful now!! …my lord that’s going to get your attention!

Wow - I can imagine all the salty/umami loveliness would work well! …with a background of lemongrass, galangal and chilli…

I’ve had a Thai Bloody Mary a couple of times - definitely different - and one for the Celery haters, served with a stick of Lemon Grass!

3 Likes

That’s it, a wonderful combination.

We all need to keep our vegetable intake up, vitamins and all that - so for a cheeky midweek top up of your 5-a-day - Bloody Bens is by far the best mixer I’ve ever come across. Needs extra Tabasco for me, but that’s fine.

…they do an online package deal including a bottle of Wild Mary Black Pepper and Chilli Vodka :hot_pepper: …which is super good too :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, just needs to be chilled no ice cubes, and spicy, definitely no fruit/salad or any other fancy bits,

1 Like

Their recipe calls for bacon or cheese garnish!?

I’m not sure about hydroponics yet. I like what they do about sustainability but for taste I’m not convinced.

I’m not aware of many things that aren’t improved with bacon and cheese… :bacon: :cheese:

The Turner Hardy juice looks great - will definitely try some of that @Dave (I missed the link first time around - then wondered what @Camphuw was going on about - I’m back with it now!)

2 Likes

Bloody Mary and a grilled cheese sandwich ( with bacon please) from the Cheese Truck in Maltby St Market will cure any hangover. If it doesn’t then your hangover was fatal

4 Likes

I don’t use their recipe, just their juice, which has the perfect consistency and sweet savoury balance. My recipe is very similar to Matt’s (rolled not shaken, Mr Bond).

Sherry-wise, I’m using

, which, although an Oloroso, is perfectly dry.

2 Likes

You can get some excellent local Gins there, too… but I know you know that :wink:

That Wild Mary Vodka looks really interesting. I’ve enjoyed using Tito’s, which has become available over here in the past couple of years (I used to get it only in Duty-free shops), which is perhaps a bit uncouth but works well in a Bloody Mary.

2 Likes

Oh yes - Jensens Old Tom is my house gin!

2 Likes

I’ve not used Titos - will check it out.

These have been my go-to’s for quite a while now - Wild Mary is Johnny Come Lately, but it’s really good…

…I used Absolut Peppar for years - but to be honest, it’s a bit rough!

2 Likes

I thought the same, I think Absolut assumed that no one would notice. I’m not averse to using it but like to be able to control the Chili and get flavour from it, hence the bhut jolokia. There’s also a lady at Borough market who sells this Chili sauce that works well too.

1 Like

@MattCray – you’re a man after my own heart. Even though the US is the ancestral home of the Bloody Mary, people in these parts think you can only have a Bloody around lunchtime, which is total nonsense. An after-work Bloody is a thing of beauty.

I grew up in the southwest, so tend to gravitate toward Mexican food and drink. My favorite Bloody is actually a Bloody Maria – that is, with tequila instead of vodka. In NYC, where I now live, there are hundreds of different brands of tequilas and mezcals available; I’m not sure what the situation is in the UK. At any rate, you need to use something decent – Herradura is pretty widely available and works well. (I find that the best tequila for this purpose is Angelisco, but that’s hard to find even on these shores.)

I do a Bloody Maria/Michelada hybrid: pint glass, ice, 2.5 oz tequila, a little can of Clamato (big in Mexico), Maldon salt, dash of Lea & Perrins, a few grinds of pepper, a bit of lime juice, and hot sauce. I love to use the Yuzu Heaven sauce from Mellow Habanero in Osaka, Japan (I may need to expand on this in the hot sauce thread; it’s magical stuff). Stir up the aforementioned and serve with a small glass of Mexican beer on the side! (If you use a bigger glass and add the beer to the main beverage, you’ve got a “Clamato Preparado”. Also good!)

I’ve never even thought about adding sherry to the mix, but it sounds like a genius-level move. I’ll give it a go.

3 Likes

It’s a hangover cure in my house - first thing Sunday morning

That’s a perfectly acceptable Bloody Scenario! However, I maintain that relegating this majestic beverage to daylight hours only is to hide its light needlessly under a bushel basket.

2 Likes

Just taken delivery of some bloody bens, wild mary vodka and tomato juice in preparation for the weekend… just need to source some bacon for the blt and any hangover will be cured after the wardrunna stream on friday.

2 Likes

Sherry is essential, as is celery salt - I can imagine Maldon sea salt has a certain caché in NY :grin:.

In the UK we’re a mission in progress as far as Mezcal and Tequila are concerned. The Whiskey Exchange has a good range although supermarkets are pretty weak in their selection.

I recall a trip to NYC a few years ago with my family - we were staying somewhere in Mid-town - and whilst my wife and youngest daughter had their nails done, my eldest and I happened by a Liquor store (ok, I dragged her in), which had a very high quality Tequila tasting in progress. As you’ll know a British accent goes a long way in NY and I was invited to join. Anyway, several hours later…

Recently visited the Yucatan and “discovered” Mezcal, served room temp (warm) with Gusano salt and orange slices. A revelation.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.